Charger Forums banner

Rebuild shops

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Plumcrazycharger 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 dodge charger rt 5.7 liter.. i blew the engine i already took it to 2 shops and said the head gaskets were blown.. the car overheated and i kept driving for about 10-15 mins ... the shop said i would have to replace the motor because it might be cracked.. i was wondering if anyone knows any shops around the bay area where i can get it rebuilt.. i dont want to buy a new engine cause it cost too much.. i live in the milpitas/san jose area.. help please i need to get her running again..

#2 ·
You can have the block magnafluxed to check for cracks, but that's expensive, and if your block is cracked your out that money and still have no motor.

Check out local junk yards. The 5.7 came in lots of vehicles. Most yards give you a 30 day warranty, and if its going to fail it will probably be during that period. I did this for my XJ Cherokee several years ago and it worked out great.

#3 · (Edited)
More than likely the heads are warped. It is doubtful the block is cracked as it is cast and not aluminum like the heads, but 15 minutes can do a lot of damage. I'm still betting not the block but just the heads are bad.

Several heads on ebay rebuilt already too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHRYS...EAD-/140549138218?hash=item20b961a72a&vxp=mtr

Then you're looking at the labor to do it plus gaskets, etc..

You could do this yourself if you've done motors before, but I don't think that's the case and it could get over your head pretty quick without decent help.

But there is help available and videos everywhere on how to do stuff..

Good luck on it.

Griz

There are also several used motors on there around $2300.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.