Charger Forums banner

Remove batteries from idle key fobs?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MrF 
#1 ·
I have a Charger Pursuit and they come with four key fobs. Should I remove the batteries on ones not in use? I don't want it to lose any connection to car, and don't know if having them completely dead for long periods of time will necessitate a reprogramming. I want to take them out because I am afraid a battery may leak over time and ruin the fob.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Button batteries don't usually corrode or leak. I have 2 fobs that my '06 SRT came with and I have never replaced the batteries in either one and they both still work fine.

I use one every day (and have for over 10 years now). The other one sits in the desk and only gets used a few times each year when I drop the car off at the Dealer for service.

#6 ·
My fobs from my 2008 still have the original batteries in them. I popped one open when I got the WIN recall done last fall: no corrosion.

I think that the newer keyless entry fobs have a small continuous drain on the battery. My wife's JGC fob went dead after three years, and Jeep wouldn't recognize it as being present until we replaced the battery. Makes me think there's a little more to it than just RFID. If that's the case, the OP will be swapping the batteries anyway every few years.

Reactions: ChargerPursuit
#4 ·
I do rotate two of them but I'd rather not deal with trying to rotate four of them. Anyone know if a reprogramming would be necessary IF i did decide to remove batteries, although now leaning toward leaving them in, still would like to know.

#5 ·
No reprogramming necessary - the wireless ID transmitted by the FOB (with the battery power) is matched/stored inside the car's computer.

The only way for the FOBs to be 'forgotten' would be for the computer to be replaced.

Reactions: ChargerPursuit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.