Charger Forums banner

My Charger is POSSESSED!!!

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sal jc 
#1 ·
Hi,

I think my charger is possessed. Lately, I've been having many issues with my charger. My whole dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree.

The first issue I'm having with it is that, when I start my car (like early in the morning or while the sun is still rising) the lightning bolt and check engine lights both come on. Also, the temp needle will stay all the way down. If I restart my car after a little while, the temp need will move to the appropriate place and the lightning bolt light will go away. I pulled the codes and got p2181 and p0128. After reading the forums, I'm thinking that my thermostat needs to be replaced to fix this issue.

The next issue I'm having is more concerning to me than the above issue. This just started happening a few days ago.
Initially, my car would be running perfectly fine but all of a sudden the abs and brake lights will come on and the speed needle will start jumping around. After a a brief moment everything is back to normal and my car is running perfectly fine.

Now, my car is worse than before. Now when the abs and brake lights come on, the speed needle starts jumping around, but my car will also automatically get stuck in 1st (i believe its 1st if not 2nd) gear. So, I can still drive my car but the car won't shift gears...and when my speed needle jumps around I can feel my car loosing power until my speed needle gets back to the right spot. From my understanding, my car is going into limp mode?!

Also, sometimes my ca doesn't start at all. Just yesterday, the lights came on and the gear got stuck in (1st or 2nd) gear. I decided to pull over and turn my car off and restart it. Well, that was a mistake that I made. After I turned my car off, it didn't want to start again at all! I tried to get a jump start from a stranger, but it didn't start. Finally I gave up and called for a tow. Well, when the tow came, I asked for a jump and to my surprise the car started right up. Everything was looking normal until I started to drive again. After about a couple of miles of driving, the abs and brake lights came back on again!

I pulled the codes again and got quite a few of them.
P0573
U1110
P0562
P0882
P0750

I checked my battery even though its fairly brand new. Just got it replaced last year. I even had it tested and it was good.

I don't know what the problem could be.

My car is a 2008 Dodge Charger...2.7L. It has about 150,000 miles on it, I think. I can't afford taking it to the dealership, because they charge an arm and a leg just to diagnose it.

PLEASE HELP ME, somebody!

Thank You.

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: Playhard
#3 · (Edited)
P0573-BRAKE SWITCH 1 STUCK OFF
U1110-LOST VEHICLE SPEED MESSAGE
P0562-BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW
P0882 TCM Power Input Low
P0750-LR SOLENOID CIRCUIT (transmission solenoid)
P2181-COOLING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (ECT signal)
P0128-THERMOSTAT RATIONALITY

Typically when this many different DTCs get reported it's because the battery needs replacing. A bad battery will cause a lot of sensor input signals to read low. I would have the battery checked. It could have a shorted cell, etc ... or the battery cable connections are loose/corroded. If the battery and alternator check out to be good, I would check for a wiring/connector problem (loose or corroded wires/connectors). Check the ground wire connections to ensure they're tight and in good condition.

#4 ·
P0573-BRAKE SWITCH 1 STUCK OFF
U1110-LOST VEHICLE SPEED MESSAGE
P0562-BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW
P0882 TCM Power Input Low
P0750-LR SOLENOID CIRCUIT (transmission solenoid)
P2181-COOLING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (ECT signal)P0128-THERMOSTAT RATIONALITY

Typically when this many different DTCs get reported it's because the battery needs replacing. A bad battery will cause a lot of sensor input signals to read low. I would have the battery checked. It could have a shorted cell, etc ... or the battery cable connections are loose/corroded. If the battery and alternator check out to be good, I would check for a wiring/connector problem (loose or corroded wires/connectors). Check the ground wire connections to ensure they're tight and in good condition.
Thanks for the help.

I did get my battery tested and well it helped narrow down the problem a little. Initially, I got my battery tested from under the hood and well the results came back bad. Said my starter was bad and the battery was bad. Well, then we tested the battery itself, in the trunk. Everything came out perfectly fine. No issues with the battery or starter. I'm assuming there's a wiring problem coming out from the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.