Charger Forums banner

Top 10 Fastest Sedans to 60 MPH

10K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  ChargerYoungDog 
#1 ·

Some cars are comfortable, some cars are efficient and some cars, usually the exciting ones are fast. But for many, a fast car usually means something impractical, like a coupe or mid-engined car that can’t be driven all year long, or with the rest of your family with you.

But here’s a list of the fastest sedans that are capable of hitting 60 mph in four seconds or less.
Read Top 10 Fastest Sedans to 60 MPH at AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#2 ·
"Fastest sedans to 60" doesn't make sense. You can say quickest to 60, where quick determines the rate at which one can accelerate. Fastest on the other hand determines the final speed AFTER acceleration. This is like confusing torque with horsepower.

#8 ·
Don't mean to be disrespectful, but someone in journalism (I assume Autoguide would be) should use language correctly. Quickest would be the correct term.

#9 ·
Looks like the Hellcat may also be the cheapest car on the list. It got to cheap the fastest!

#16 · (Edited)
About gravity

A person that is flat and stable hits 124 mph, but if you stand on your head, reduce drag you hit 180 ish. So it would depend on the way the car was falling, so in theory it could go faster than 170. The Charger Hellcat hit 204, flat and stable on the ground.

#18 ·
Also the terminal velocity of a car is much less than a skydiver, it probably wouldn't go much faster than 100.
It's actually the other way around. Terminal velocity in the atmosphere is around 220 mph for a perfect object. The more dense the object is relative to it's surface area (air resistance), the higher its terminal velocity will be up to the theoretical limit.

A skydiver has a lot of surface area per mass and has a slower terminal velocity (geometric configuration being tucked in a ball). A car is much greater (a human floats in water even in a ball but a car sinks like a stone).

The end result is that a car will typically reach a terminal velocity of around 170-190 mph depending on the configuration.

Don't mistake ground speed aerodynamic limits for gravitational aerodynamic limits. Ground speed is working against friction, gravity and air resistance while a falling object is only working against one of them.

#19 ·
Me and gravity

Not being a perfect object, rucksack and all, I could only hit about 180 in my most perfect form. But a Hellcat is in the most perfect form as it cost about half of what the next cheapest car to 60.

Reactions: Ddaddy
#21 ·
This is all quite entertaining! And totally off topic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.