Charger Forums banner

What do you think of a Dyno Day Challenge event?

• Nope...stupid idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Dyno Day Challenge

5K views 45 replies 9 participants last post by  ChargerSXT 
#1 ·
OK...so I'm already thinking about the 3rd Dyno Day at DTP. Here is what I'm considering...

I would like to have a Dyno Day Challenge (dyno only...NO tuning) between Old School and New School Mopars. I've contacted TMC and MPMA (a couple of local Mopar clubs), and asked if they would be interested.

Basically, the event would be a "dyno-off" (for bragging rights), a cookout, and a Show-n-Shine. I would most likely also get a trophy for the top HP and top torque winners.

I'm GUESSING that we could have 24-30 cars...half of which would be Old School Mopars, and the other which would be the newer Mopars.

I'm looking at a date in either August, September, or October....probably in Sept (depending on the guys' schedule at DTP).

What does everyone think?

#2 ·
Hmmm and we are going to pay out $60.00 for this ? Then there will be who falls into what section\category. Where are you going to put cars like Gil, Stingya and me? Your going to have cars with Adders.. such as supercharged, Nitrious, and turbos. etc etc etc....

I mean its a good idea... but there going to be alot of tweaking to get this going!

#3 · (Edited)
I agree on the catagory's. I think there should be three category's 1.stock to mild mod's (cai exhaust tune) 2. supercharged, Nitious, and turbos 3. heavyly moded guys like Gil Stingya and Ujokin2. And I would shoot for late Sept. early Oct. time frame for this to give people a chance to schedule any vacation time they might need for this. But majority rules. There is going to be alot of tweaking going on between now and then. But it's doable.

#4 ·
Well thats a no brainer for me,ill be happy to take a trophy home lol.But anyway i think it would be a good time and give me time to get my latest mod installed and tuned.I think everyones right about different classes aswell.

#5 ·
dang I thought I was bad but I see your in the same boat.... not even giving the dang Nitrious a GOOD spray and you go and move on to a supercharger.

#7 ·
now now dave lets just wait and see what the **** brings before you go polishing that trophy eh??

#8 ·
BTW do we necissarily have to do it at DTP??? there are other places that would be glad to host us as well.

#10 ·
Based on Curlie's post, here's what I thinking...

Two Categories:
1. V6
2. V8

Three Classes in each Category:
1. Stock - stock to mildly modded vehicles (CAI, exhaust, tune, headers, etc.)
2. Performance Modded - exact definition TBD
3. Extreme - exact definition TBD

I was considering buying a trophy for the top HP and Torque winners, but if everyone would like to have them in each class and category, then I would need people to help and chip in some $$$ for the trophies (I can't afford to buy all 12 trophies...HP and Torque trophies in each of the 3 Classes is both Classes)

#11 ·
Craig,

Shouldn't we use the categories already established for the traveling trophies on LXF ? It is already broken down and being used.

#13 · (Edited)
Is this what you're talkin' about, Ujokin?

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=99679

If so, it looks OK to me.

The only problems that I can see that we may have are the issues of time and getting enough vehicles in each category signed up. To make the challenge interesting, I would think that you would want at least 3 cars in each category...and the more, the better. With 2 classes, and 4 categories in each class, you would need around 24 cars total...12 V8s and 12 V6s...and to break it down further, 6 old school V8s, 6 newer V8s, 6 old school V6s, and 6 newer V6s. There shouldn't be any problem getting enough V8 cars (both old and new school), but the V6 cars...especially the older V6s...may be an issue. Also, DTP can do about 3 cars per hour, so with 24 cars, we're looking at an 8-hour day...which isn't too bad. If you get too many more, we'd have to see about making the challenge a 2 day event.

One more question...What should be the cutoff age/year for "Old School" cars and "New School" cars? Should it be mid to late 70s...or early to mid 80s?

#14 ·
That is the one!

old school is anything older then 20 years, hence the 80s Anything in the
90's should be lumped in with the New School. shame as the 80's was sort of the dead zone for muscle cars.

#18 · (Edited)
So, what does everyone think of the following Classes and Categories?

Class I: V-8
- Factory: factory stock, drop-in filters
- Super Stock: CAI, exhaust, PCM programming, torque converter, etc.
- Modified: All mods allowed in "Super Stock" plus heads and cams
- Power Adder: All mods allowed in "Super Stock" and "Modified", plus/OR any power adder...including nitrous, turbo, and/or supercharger.
- Big D: Any SIZE STROKER falls into this category
- Big D w/ Power Adder: Any SIZE STROKER w/nitrous, turbo, and/or supercharger falls into this category

Class II: V-6
- Factory: factory stock, drop-in filters
- Super Stock: CAI, exhaust, PCM programming, torque converter, etc.
- Modified: All mods allowed in "Super Stock" plus heads and cams
- Power Adder: All mods allowed in "Super Stock" and "Modified", plus/OR any power adder...including nitrous, turbo, and/or supercharger.
- Big D: Any SIZE STROKER falls into this category
- Big D w/ Power Adder: Any SIZE STROKER w/nitrous, turbo, and/or supercharger falls into this category

To minimize the number of categories we have, should the "Big D" and "Big D w/ Power Adder" categories be included in the "Power Adder" category? If so, the category would be "Big D and Power Adders: ANY SIZE STROKER plus/OR any power adder...including nitros, turbo, and/or supercharger." My concern is that we may not get enough cars to fill all 6 categories in 2 different classes....especially in the V6 Class.

#19 ·
Well Craig oh mighty one...

Class II V6 there should be NO Modified since there are yet to be heads and cams available.
You do have a power adder class for the v6

So under Class II V6
Factory
Super Stock
Power Adder

#28 ·
I rather do a track day then a Dyno dual....

#39 ·
OK...here's the low-down...

DTP will be moving this Fall...the only thing is...as of the last time I talked to Frank...they are not sure exactly when or where. We're waiting to see where they'll end up, let them get settled in, and then have the Dyno Challenge at there new place as their inaugural (sp?) event.

I will definitely keep everyone updated as events warrant... :bigthumb:

#41 ·
I got an email from Frank on the 1st of July about the possiblity of another Dyno day on the 19th. If it happens, not going to dyno, haven't done anything else to the car. Or maybe I should, I did get a new grill for it, hmmm, wonder how many ponies that adds up to.

#42 ·
dad i think you should but then at the same time you shouldnt cause your still trying to get the srt8 stuff for your car so i dont know what to say it's up to you but if you do dyno it ill help out on getting your stuff for the car if thats ok with you

#45 ·
so what is the verdict on this ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.