Charger Forums banner

Not breathing right

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jrglombo 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 charger SXT 3.5 L with 160,000 miles on it. I bought as a "low compression" vehicle. The car wouldn't go over 30 mph, had no compression in cylinders from leaking, not bent, valves. It was also running really rich and the spark plugs looked awful with black soot on them. Had a code p0300 random misfire. I put refurbished heads on with all new gaskets, timing belt, and plugs. The pre-cat in exhaust flange looked restrictive so I removed just the pre-cat on both side. The timing is set correctly. Everything back together and it still runs awful. Spits black wet soot out tail pipe, drivers side plugs are all black like it's still really rich, and passenger side all look okay. Basically the same as before, still goes into limp mode when driving, max rev is 4000rpm(maybe that's normal in park?) it sounds like something clanks once in awhile. Possibly unburnt fuel igniting in manifold? I am stumped. I've reset the ecu. I'm close to taking in to a shop, but thought I'd give the forum a try first. Took the plenum off and could see gasoline puddles on every intake valve on driver side. And passenger side intakes were dry. Any ideas, tests, or anything at all I can try? Thanks everyone

#4 ·
Got it!

Well not that anyone cares but I got it figured out last week. The cam and crank sensors needed to be synced with a computer. I cannot manipulate the ecu/pcm with my cheap wifi code reader. Runs awesome now! Just throw a p0430 code but That's another project! If anyone reads this, what is the cheapest way to get a code reader/computer that can re-learn timing, turn off fuel injectors, etc.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.