Charger Forums banner

New set of tires

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Discount Tire 
#1 ·
Hey y'all lol. I'm currently looking to buy some new rims and tires, I own a 2015 Charger SE. I had narrowed it down to 3 rims that I liked, and they were 20 inch rims. The problem I'm having is what major differences will there be from the regular 17 inch rims I have. I read that the ride gets stiffer and it is much more prone to getting damaged from potholes. Can anyone help me with this decision/problem?!?? And in the case that I get the 20 inch with p zeros, should i wait to put them on until after winter?!?
Thanks Guys

#2 ·
I've been running 20" wheels for YEARS on several different vehicles and I've never had a problem bending one on a pot hole. Once you get above 24" then maybe thats an issue to be concerned with but 20" wheels won't be a problem. As far as differences, yes they will run firmer/stiffer than your 17" wheels simply because there's less side wall. With that said, the appropriate tire on a 20" wheel will yield you almost no difference in ride. You will however have better handling characteristics due to less tire roll from side to side. I wouldn't hesitate at all to upgrade from 17" to 20".

What wheels and tires are you looking at?

#3 ·
I wish I could show you the final 3 choices lol they look real nice. Do you think I should make a suspension upgrade since the rims are heavier and maybe the my suspension isn't built to withstand the weight over a certain period of time?

I'm also thinking of getting the Pirelli P Zeros, 245, you think they are good?

#4 ·
No suspension mods necessary. Chargers come stock with 20's. I don't have any experience with the Pirelli P Zeros but I've heard they're a nice tire. I'd also consider Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Continental Extreme Contacts, and Michelin Pilots A/S 3's. All 3 are good tires and have 40-50k mileage warranty. The Continentals weigh the least too.

#5 ·
Very thin sidewall tires are more prone to damage from potholes, but you'd have to hit a deep one pretty hard to reach the wheel. Where you'll need to be careful is around curbs. When the wheel sits below the height of the curb, you can gouge the wheel metal on the curb. Some thin sidewall tires do come with curb protectors. A nice little writeup on this is included. I might mention that your 17s are prone to this as well. On mine I had 20s, which I replaced with 18s as a dealer swap, and I didn't notice that one of the wheels had some rash. That one is now my spare.

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/7-tires-to-protect-your-expensive-wheels

#8 ·
Yes, technically the ride will be rougher and the tires will be more prone to pothole damage due the decrease in sidewall height when comared to your 17-inch tires. As others have noted, though, 20-inch is an O.E. option and not a real issue for most.

If you go 20-inch and want some extra meat on the tires do like, michiganpat did and run 255/45R-20s (assuming proper wheel dimensions). There is a solid selection of tire models available in this size which includes some of the models mentioned in this thread. Ultimately the right tire model for you will depend on goals and what you need from your tires. If we can help you pick a model that is right for your needs, shoot us a PM and we'd be happy to help!

For reference here are all the tire models we offer in the 255/45R-20 sizing.

255/45R-20 Tire Options | Discount Tire Direct

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.