Charger Forums banner

Advice/Opinions needed 2006 Dodge Charger hiccup/stutter

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  06Daytona 
#1 ·
Ok so today I ran my 2006 Dodger Charger R/T way too low on a tank of fuel trying to make it to the next station after a long two hour drive (maybe I just learned my lesson) but I did make it to the station. After fueling up I pulled out, went about 40 yards and as I'm accellerating the car almost hiccup's or stutters as I'm about to get onto the freeway. It was almost a clunk or a cough I feel like with a couple of almost stop and lurch type action. Sorry very hard to describe. But basically I panicked right away as I recently had to replace tranny adapter plug after it had leaked and thought maybe my tranny was now going or fluid had gotten low even though they said they topped off. I pulled over, checked for leaks, checked oil and such just to be safe, (even checked tranny fluid even though I can't scan temp to get an accurate reading but to at least be sure it wasn't dry!). After all that and no CEL or anything I fired it up accellerating slowly with auto stick to shift and no issue driving it home slowly.

I just took it out again and it drove like a champ with no issues. Went about thirty miles both in town and freeway with no issues.

Could this maybe have just been the byproduct of me running it down so low on fuel? Could that have caused a weird stutter or hiccups as I was trying to accelerate away from gas station AFTER filling up? Or does this seem like it could still be continued tranny issues?

I know my description sucks and it's impossible to tell me too much I just thought it was worth asking in case immediately someone says "car definitely could stutter and such even after fill up if you ran it that low" or something.

Thanks in advance for helping a know nothing newbie!

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't let it go below a quarter tank again either. The fuel pump is cooled with fuel, and when the fuel level is below a quarter tank there is not enough fuel to spread the heat around. It won't catch fire, of course, but it will run hotter than it should and it will affect its life.

Plus, you get these odd little stutters :D .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.