Charger Forums banner

What did the dealer use?

6K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  GraceMan 
#1 ·
I purchase my cars just about 90% on the web and via e mails then hammer out any details when I visit to see and or pick up the car.. In the final negotiations the Mngr kept telling me he was "throwing in the protection package" and I kept asking what that was.. Never really got any clarity.. The car I was buying, after the test drive I told him to get it washed and cleaned for a second inspection as it was filthy and covered in hand prints, dust, water spots from rain etc... a few minutes later they brought it our washed and dried and it looked so much better... I found an add-on dealer sticker in the back seat that included a paint treatment of some kind.. the dealer is 70 miles from home so I have not been back to ask exactly what was applied... However around the window frames there was a residual left... not buffed off.... it took me thirty minutes with a cleaner wax to get it cleaned off... Now this is the first new car I have purchased in a long time where the water beads on the surface... and it actually looks great after a wash.. I have applied only quick detailers so far to keep what ever this stuff is sealed... It must be some sort of heavy duty glaze but frankly I have no idea... :slap:

#5 ·
Me thinks you are right... I wonder what the recommended follow up is with that particular product.. may have to ask the parts counter to see the bottle.... I am more curious than anything else... In the mean time I will stick to my vary viscous quick detailer... which is keeping it smooth...

#6 ·
this is about all I can find on it... but I am thinking this is what they put on.. there is also a Mopar fabric protectant.. I am not sure if it's a 3M Scotch guard or similar but something like that is probably not a bad idea either..

"""" Master Shield Paint Sealant forms a tough, shiny protective seal on your paint's surface, providing a brilliant, deep, wet look while enhancing the clear coat of today's two-layer paint finishes. It contains a UV blocker that helps protect a paint's finish against oxidation and fading. The polymer formula helps shield with a protective seal and encourages water to run off, leaving a minimum amount of water beads. Paint Sealant is backed by a three-year limited, renewable warranty for new vehicles. """"

#7 ·

That's what dealerships do to people who don't know any better. ;)

I have SEVERAL different products that I could apply to your paint that will bead the water like crazy and if I don't wipe them off, you will catch hell trying to get the residue off your paint. Dealerships don't use anything more special than what you can buy at a store and apply yourself. They are also NOT in the business of manufacturing any kind of paint protection. They buy that stuff from a company and have it put in their bottles. GM, Ford and just about everyone else does this too. That's exactly what that Mopar stuff is and you're gonna pay twice what it is worth just because it says Mopar on the bottle. Don't fall for that crap. There are 50 different products on the market that are better and cheaper and will actually protect your paint.

Don't fall for the dealership crap. They've been pulling that crap ever since I was a toddler and probably before then. My father did paint and body work for 40 years. He could tell you some stories.

By the way, a quick detailer is nothing more than colored water with a lubricant of some type in it. It does absolutely NOTHING to protect anything. You may as well rubbed a bottle of White Zinfandel on your paint because that's how much protection any detail spray offers.

#8 ·
Junkman..

I know all this... most of us probably do...

In the last twenty years I have received more compliments on my cars than I frankly wish to mention.. But this is the first time in many years the dealer had obviously put a product on the car well before I looked at it at 8 pm in the evening.. Nothing personal but you speak in a lot of generalities which again I think most of us already know. Do you know what the Mopar product specifically is... Obviously it's an outsourced product but who's.. if we knew that then we could get a FACT sheet on it.. now that would be helpful.. later

#9 ·
With as many quality products on the market that you have to choose from today, who cares what it is. Whatever it is, it's over-priced. There are plenty of options that will more than protect your paint out today.

#10 ·
Interesting.. The Mopar product is on sale at Ebay, that matters not but what is interesting is the Five Year Mopar warrantee book that comes with it..... I am thinking that is applied only if the dealer puts the product on the car... And the warrantee booklet is not available for reading at least not at ebay so I am guessing what it says.... In years past the one time I bit on a product the dealer was selling, and it was not a GM product, the particular Chevy dealer gave me some paperwork to go with it.. ah yes.. in order for the warrantee to be good I had to return the car to the dealer yearly for a "refresh" .. needless to say I did not bother with that....

It may be that the Mopar product is somebody's high end product that they are willing to guarantee its performance.... but then again I don't know what's in the fine print to keep the warrantee valid.... no one may know until after they get home... Unless I have just missed it I really don't see too many Chrysler/Jeep/ Dodge dealers promoting this...

I may have my first freebie oil change done at the selling dealer and ask service a few questions about it ..... or talk to the parts guys...

In years past some dealers used to do a basic wax job on any car prior to delivery, I guess they felt guilty about those "new" dealer fees back then.... With so many content to only wash their new cars I wish this practice would return frankly ...

#11 ·
Interesting.. The Mopar product is on sale at Ebay, that matters not but what is interesting is the Five Year Mopar warrantee book that comes with it..... I am thinking that is applied only if the dealer puts the product on the car..
Bingo. This is a standard dealership practice and when you turn in a claim, they find a way to blame you for doing something wrong. What a ripoff.

#12 ·
I can't verify what "the regular maint" is for this.. there has to be something done over those three years....

I can't verify this quote either.. I figure if the dealer is promoting this get all the details you can before you buy it.. The product on its own can be purchased for 15 to 20 dollars even at Amazon.. the price you pay at the dealer is a whole lot of mark up and for the warrantee....but if you are completely intimidate by all the car care threads you read and are going to get this, remember everything is negotiable before you sign the dotted line.. I would settle on a price then tell the dealer to add this to the deal or you are walking out.. It cost him so little he will bite in this case and you will have some protection on your new car... just saying....

MASTER SHIELD® PAINT SEALANT LIMITED WARRANTY
(NEW VEHICLES ONLY)

The Master Shield Paint Sealant treatment is warranted to the first registered owner only, for a period of three years from the date of its application to the vehicle, provided that:

the Master Shield sealant was properly applied within 60 days of the new vehicle's original in-service date
damage to the exterior finish is reported immediately to a participating Master Shield dealer, who follows the proper claims-processing procedure

Daimler Chrysler Motors Corporation warrants to the first registered owner of a treated vehicle that if, within three years of the sealant's application on any properly treated exterior finish, the vehicle is damaged by weather-induced discoloration, loss of gloss, or fading, Daimler Chrysler Motors Corporation will repair and retreat the damaged area(s) free of charge, provided that the vehicle is first inspected by a participating Master Shield dealer and is prior authorized by Daimler Chrysler Motors Corporation. This warranty is not transferable.

NOTE: This warranty does NOT apply to damage caused by owner negligence, carelessness or failure to use prescribed maintenance steps; damage caused by collision, fire, stone, or similar objects causing a break or puncture of the sealant; damage from acid rain, smog, industrial fallout, or paints coming in contact with vehicle's surface paint; or damage caused by any modification or alteration to the vehicle's surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.