Charger Forums banner

What can I do w/o voiding the warranty?

8K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  370 HEMI 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently picked up a 2013 Dodge Charger RT with 20,988 miles on it. I purchased a 5 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper type warranty for it. I have to be very careful with what I do so I don't void the warranty.

The guy at the dealership said even with a CAI to take it off and put the stock one back on before I bring it to the dealership. He did say I could do a muffler delete if I wanted too.

So, do you guys know if I can make any changes at all to the car or if I am stuck leaving it stock?

All I would really like to do is to add a catch can, CAI, muffler delete and run ACES IV in the fuel. I would like to do a custom tune but I know that will void the warranty.

Does anyone know if a catch can will void the warranty?

Regards,

Austin

#4 ·
In your opinion, why wouldn't you recommend a catch can?

Thank you.

Not a fan of extended warranties...
Is this a FCA warranty or aftermarket?

Legally, they would have to prove what ever changes you made caused the failure that you are claiming under warranty.
I am actually going to cancel both the extended warranties for the car. Together they tagged on almost an additional $4,000 to my loan. I have 60 days to cancel both of them and get a full refund. I am going to the dealership next week to start the process.

They are both third party warranties.

I will still have the originally Dodge warranty though.

#3 ·
Not a fan of extended warranties...
Is this a FCA warranty or aftermarket?

Legally, they would have to prove what ever changes you made caused the failure that you are claiming under warranty.

#5 ·
Good call. Unless those warranties are from Dodge (MaxCare), they are likely not worth the cost and trouble they bring in getting coverage for repairs.

In regard to the catch can, it absolutely won't void any warranty in any way. All it does is collect oil vapor from the crankcase and prevent it from being ingested in the intake system to be burned. It can't possibly adversely effect the vehicle systems and you are further legally protected by the official quotes from the SRT engineers that are recorded here and on other forums stating that it wont hurt to use one.

Remember that any warranty voiding only applies to the system that was specifically altered (change the exhaust and they don't warranty the exhaust anymore) but it doesn't extend to other vehicle systems.

They are required to prove that any modification you make has caused the failure of another system that they refuse to cover. It's fully described in the Moss-Magnusson Act that states "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."

#8 · (Edited)
Ok, thank you for the advice. I have read around that they are suppose to prove that such and such caused the problem but it can turn out to be who's pockets are deeper...

You'll have tampered with the motor. While minor it opens you up to all kinds of questions later.

Unless RACECAR you don't need a catch can and it does nothing for you. In all seriousness, even if you drive your car as hard as I do; you don't need it.

Factory warranties are granted to you with conditions. It's not an insurance policy, it covers defects. And as much as people online say they have to "prove" you did something it's more along the lines you have to prove you didn't cause the problem. Unless your pockets are deep, it's not a fight. The only mech they will trust will be theirs and once it's not stock you're done.

The better way to do it, learn to drive the car fast stock and then after the warranty modify.
I see what you are saying. A friend of mine stated that since using a catch can keeps the system as a closed loop, it can't void the warranty. Now, if I stuck a little filter off it, then yeah I'd be in some trouble.

I drive mine pretty hard... she gets opened up a few times a day usually. Average though is still like 16.9 or 17.1. I got 20 plus the other day driving down to Kentucky.

Actually, you haven't touched the motor at all..only the PCV system that is external to the engine and not related to engine operation, performance or emissions.

It absolutely cannot void any warranty to collect oil vapor and remove it from the combustion system.
That is basically what my friend stated, the system is still a closed loop system. It can't void the warranty. I was reading about some of the BND products that you don't even need a catch can because the volatility difference. It is like 3% compared to say 35% or 15%.

Thank you guys for the advice, I am going to cancel them soon. I can fix a lot of stuff on my car with that $4,000. Part of the policy was that if I made any changes to the car, I would have to call them and tell them about it before hand. Otherwise, it would void it or at least, for that system. I didn't buy my car to call someone and ask if I can do something to it. ;)

Really glad to finally join the charger group. I love mine!! Already put 1,000 miles on it in the first week of owning it.

#6 ·
You'll have tampered with the motor. While minor it opens you up to all kinds of questions later.

Unless RACECAR you don't need a catch can and it does nothing for you. In all seriousness, even if you drive your car as hard as I do; you don't need it.

Factory warranties are granted to you with conditions. It's not an insurance policy, it covers defects. And as much as people online say they have to "prove" you did something it's more along the lines you have to prove you didn't cause the problem. Unless your pockets are deep, it's not a fight. The only mech they will trust will be theirs and once it's not stock you're done.

The better way to do it, learn to drive the car fast stock and then after the warranty modify.

#7 ·
Actually, you haven't touched the motor at all..only the PCV system that is external to the engine and not related to engine operation, performance or emissions.

It absolutely cannot void any warranty to collect oil vapor and remove it from the combustion system.

#13 · (Edited)
Wow, I was always under the impression that going WOT is pretty hard on your car. I feel like I am some what hard on my charger but I am probably over thinking it. I do a lot of ride alongs with the Sheriff's Office. One of the deputies I ride with has a 2011 Charger with a hemi in it. He pretty much goes WOT or at least revs to 4.5K everywhere we go. He hasn't had any major problems with his car. I think he has some 90K miles on it. Although, he just got the new AWD Hemi Charger. His car will become a reserve car.

Take the money for an extended warranty and throw it into a bank account.

Cars today are light years more reliable than they used to be.

If you're only going to keep it 3-4 years, what are you looking for modifications to accomplish? Answer that, and you'll know what you need to do. Just remember, mods hurt the car value. The more radical, the more they reduce value.
Yeah, it would be nice to have that money just sitting in a bank account. I am still on the fence about that as well. The more you mod your car, the more problems you can run into and you decrease the value. Do I want to keep it stock and just take great care of it or do I want to toy with it a little... lol

You can use ACES IV in the fuel and not void the warranty. QuantumBlue Custom Blends for engine, transmission and differential will not void any warranties. QB HP Gold Coolant and EHPS Steering System Lubricants won't either.

The BND materials are easy to incorporate, increase integrity of the car and protect you in ways that off the shelf products can't. Also you can have extended drain intervals too. Always best to prevent problems than to plan for them. We help you avoid problems!:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Odds are you will get a call this Tuesday for oil and Aces IV. I am going to try to incorporate the rest in the next couple of months. Just due for a oil change here soon.

Thanks guy for everything!

#10 ·
For this reason I'm trying to figure out if I want to get a Mopar extended warranty. If I don't I'll be more app to mod the car in another 15k miles when the warranty runs out.

At the same time, I've said that I only want to keep this car for 3-4 years, and then trade it on something else. Preferably something with 2 doors and 400+ hp. In that scenario it's not really not worth modding in my mind.

Decisions, decisions...

#11 ·
Take the money for an extended warranty and throw it into a bank account.

Cars today are light years more reliable than they used to be.

If you're only going to keep it 3-4 years, what are you looking for modifications to accomplish? Answer that, and you'll know what you need to do. Just remember, mods hurt the car value. The more radical, the more they reduce value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.