Charger Forums banner

Topside down lubricity.........why?

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  370 HEMI 
#1 ·
This is a question that we have been getting a lot continually.....enough so.....that I thought I would address it again for those who are new or don't really know that much about ACES IV.

Since the 1920's, tetra ethyl lead (TEL) (CH3CH2)4Pb was added to the fuels for two major reasons.

1) For every 1 gram per gallon of gasoline, TEL would raise the octane value of the fuel 10 octane points.

2) It was a dry lubricant that was left over during and after combustion that deposited a light coating on the rings, bores, valve stems/guides and cushioned the valve seats and valve faces.

The lead compound was mixed with ethylene dibromide or 1,2-dibromoethane (CH2Br)2 which was used as an anti-knock additive in leaded fuels. It reacts with lead residues to generate volatile lead bromides which prevented fouling of the engine because it didn't let lead build up on the valves and stems.

The reason that lead was eliminated in the fuels was for the lead and lead bromide oxides that were emitted into the atmosphere which got into the environment where children would breath it causing all kinds of mental problems as well as the inability of the lead from evacuating the body. We still don't know to this day all the damage that it causes physiologically.

So it was decided to make all gasolines unleaded. This made it much harder to get an octane value high enough in the gasoline for the typical cars of the day......hence the reason for the drop in compression ratios after 1971.

Unleaded gasolines were introduced in 1974. The response to this was the changing of the metalurgy in the ring area which was hardened for use without lead (but still depending on the sulfur content to give some boundry lubricity or scuff impact lubricity) along with hardened valves and valve seats. Initially induction hardened and then later hardened stellite valve seats and either bimetal exhaust valves or like in the case of the SRT8 cars a sodium filled stainless steel valves. The important thing to understand here is that in changing the metalurgy of the valves and valve seats make them brittle and prone to cracking and failure over time. Pieces of valve seat have dropped into cylinders of our cars and really beat up the insides of our hemis!!

By 1996, the Clean Air Act of 1990 made sales of road gasoline with lead in it completely illegal. While the Congress exempted leaded gasolines for sale to "racing" use only for off road competitions, it is gone practically in on road fuels. $8.50 to $12.50 per gallon for leaded racing fuels are the norm now.

MTBE or Methyl tert-butyl ether (CH3)3COCH3 replaced lead as an anti-knock compund in the US as it has been used in gasoline at low levels since 1979 to replace tetraethyl lead and to increase its octane rating helping prevent engine knocking. It is an oxygenate (mandated by the clean air act of 1990).

Oxygenates help gasoline burn more completely, reducing tailpipe emissions from pre-1984 motor vehicles; dilutes or displaces gasoline components such as aromatics like benzene and sulfur while it optimizes the oxidation during combustion. Most refiners chose MTBE over other oxygenates primarily for its blending characteristics and low cost..

In 2000, the U.S. EPA drafted plans to phase out the use of MTBE nationwide over four years. However,as of the fall 2006, hundreds of lawsuits are still pending regarding MTBE contamination of public and private drinking water supplies. It is a deadly poison! Great job EPA!!!

The Energy Policy Act of 2005, passed in the U.S. House of Representatives, did not include a provision for shielding MTBE manufacturers from water contamination lawsuits. A final bill was passed by both houses and signed into law by President Bush phasing out MTBE. The lack of MTBE liability protection from manufacturers that were contracted by the EPA for gasoline introduction is resulting in a switchover to the use of ethyl alcohol or ethanol CH3CH2OH as a gasoline additive.

It is surmised by some investment traders and consumer advocate groups that this is one of the reasons for an increase in gasoline prices.......pass it on to consumers. Government mandates it, companies are invited to fill the need, it is found out to be as bad or worse than the original problem....government then sues companies that filled the need!

Since 2007, the EPA has phased out sulfur as a pollutant that has caused issues with the environment in both diesel fuel and gasolines. While it is not directly a problem for either diesel at 4 ppm of sulfur nor gasoline at less than 30 ppm, it is the process that takes the oxygen and nitrogen compounds out.......along with the sulfur.... that are the specific problems for engines.

What we find is that the lack of lubricity in the upper cylinders cause more bore friction.....robbing horsepower and torque, creating more heat that cooks the oils, and then ultimately wear in that area causing the engines to start using more oil throught the ring and oil control area. This also wears off the moly coat that is applied at the factory allowing the pistons to rattle more in the bores as they contact the sides of the piston wall.

On the valve side, since you have oil control seals on the valve stems that keep most of the oil from getting down the lower and middle part of the stem, the guide area tends to turn oval from constant pushing against the same side of the guide.

The other part of the head/valve area is the valve seat and valve face. The biggest problem is that the valves are hitting up against the valve seat with no cushion between them at all. This hammering of the intake and especially the exhaust side of the engine without any cushion or relief not only makes noise (the hemi tick) but can lead to the valve seat just delaminating and breaking apart. The results of this are catastrophic!!

This is why when we constantly recommend ACES IV in the gasoline, it is with these pictures in mind that we try to pursuade people to add it to their fuels.

The upper cylinder lubricity was vetted by David Vizard on two engines running 250 hours straight at high rpm and load (that's 11 straight days....24 hours at a time) to see what the NET results would be.

Both engines prepared the same and run on the same batch of fuel. The first engine without ACES IV and the second one with the additized ACES IV catalyst.

After the 250 hours each, they were disassembled and measured with a 40 millionths micrometer to determine the differences. His way of net measuring was to take the very best cylinder measurements from the non-additized engine and compare it to the worst cylinder measurements of the ACES IV engine. The results were 6 times less ring and bore wear, 3.6 times less stem and guide wear and 5 times less valve recession (soft head engines pull up the valves into the head).

The hardened valves and seats on our hemi engines don't pull up into the heads, they just shatter the guides over time. By the way, not one engine that is running ACES IV has dropped a valve guide.....from any manufacturer.

However, if you have cylinder lubricity, the rings slide on the bores, the valves get plentiful lubricity, and the valve seats are lubricated and cushioned. Noise quiets down.

Here is the Turbo Z with 105,000 miles running ACES IV ( and QuantumBlue Lubricants)

Many people here are new and may have not really been involved in what we have put forth in the past so I thought it was good to go over it again for all the new members here and a reminder to the older members as well!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

See less See more
#2 ·
The absolute primary value of Aces IV is as a high quality synthetic top-cylinder lube.

Sure it cleans the fuel system and smoothes combustion, but that stuff is take-it-or-leave-it if you are running good quality fuel.

But what NO fuel provides is top cylinder lubrication. Further, the off-the shelf top-cylinder lube products generally suck (yes,"sucks" is a scientific term LOL!). They are all just various types of oils that burn in the engine and eventually clog everything up with their residue.

I don't care if Aces IV cleans anything, improves mileage or makes my engine sound better. Plain and simple, it provides a special top cylinder lubrication that is unique in nature. It is actually synthesized by the combustion process and is equally fully consumed by the following combustion cycle when the next amount of new lubricant is created.

It is self renewing and self cleaning.

How do I know? I did extensive High Performance Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometer evaluation in my lab using multi-million dollar pieces of state-of-the-art equipment.

I was going to be damned sure I knew what the product was before I EVER put it in my engine (and I happened to have the resources to do it).

I did the before and after combustion analysis of the materials and know exactly what it is and how it works. (no I won't reveal the chemistry, it is trade secret to BND and I won't compromise my professional scientific integrity by revealing it).

In the end, I run Aces IV in my engine ever since and will continue to do so.

Nearly 60k miles later, I am still evaluating it and figuring out how it works best. For my car it seems to work best using either 91 octane at a ratio of 1 oz per 6 gals or 93 octane and a ratio of 1 oz per 8 gals.

Every application is subtly different, so your best performance ratio may vary depending on the engine type and fuel quality...but don't be afraid to experiment to determine what works best.

Reactions: Yuro
#5 · (Edited)
Wow,

Thanks Ddaddy. I am glad you took the time to investigate it with some of the technology you have at your disposal.

Ethical and informative at the same time! We need an award for you for sure! Best I can do is pay homage to your design capabilities as your graphic is now on every bottle of oil we make!

The only thing I would add to it is that the metal deactivators in the product also keep the gum and varnish that typically lays in the fuel system from forming so that keeping clean is important on that as well as stabilization if the car sits for any length of time.

Thank you for your investigation and support!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#7 ·
And we will be glad to have you when you are ready! Happy to know this was informative for you! :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.