Charger Forums banner

Cooling issue on my 2006 SXT 3.5

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ChargerJoe87 
#1 ·
Ok so I have been reading alot about how the 06 chargers have heating and cooling issues. I have a 2006 3.5 which has been giving me cooling issues and it's driving me nuts. I originally had a overheating issue at idle but when I would drive it would go down, that eventually turned into overheating all the time. My radiator ended up cracking which I replaced and also replaced the thermostat. I took it to a shop who stated there was a block in the system and alot of air, they stated they purged the system and we're able to bleed the system to where coolant came out of the bleeder valve but that lasted about an hour and how it's overheating g again. At cold temperature the coolant level in the reservoir is low but once it heats up it rises and the system is filling up with air, the upper radiator hose is not getting any coolant and rock hard from air pressure in the system. I tried to bleed the system but can not seem to get all of the air out, it seems the coolant is not circulating at all, my next guess is the water pump but I want to get some feedback, any help would be great, I'm going nuts!! Just joined, this is my first post, everyone here seems very helpful and knowledgeable on the charger forums.

#2 ·
Besides replacing the water pump, replace the plastic overflow tank--they get brittle and crack when old and cause all kind of overheating issues. I've had to put three on my 2001 300M (it uses the same 3.5 v-6). I've already put a new one on my 2013 Charger V-6.

#3 ·
.At cold temperature the coolant level in the reservoir is low but once it heats up it rises and the system is filling up with air, the upper radiator hose is not getting any coolant and rock hard from air pressure in the system. I tried to bleed the system but can not seem to get all of the air out, it seems the coolant is not circulating at all, my next guess is the water pump but I want to get some feedback, any help would be great, I'm going nuts!! Just joined, this is my first post, everyone here seems very helpful and knowledgeable on the charger forums.
First, the system isn't "filling with air" unless you have a coolant leak and/or a blown head gasket pumping air into the system (in which case it's blowing out coolant somewhere). The coolant overflow reservoir level should rise with temperature as the coolant expands. A filled system remains a filled system unless you remove the coolant.

Unless you are seeing a leak, you most likely have a water pump issue where it's not circulating (since you already replaced the t-stat) and likely need to replace it.

#4 ·
Thanks for the information guys, I took the car to my buddies dads shop who said he let the car run for about a hour letting the air out of the system when he finally was able to get coolant to come out the bleeder with some pressure in the system, there was a lot of air from replacing the thermostat and radiator. The car drove fine for about an hour and not back to doing the same thing. Not sure if the water pump is the issue as once the air was out of the system coolants began to come out the bleeder, cant see why the pump would work sometimes and not other times. Not seeing any coolant leaking, oil is fine. I just dropped the car off back to the shop to see if they can figure anything out but this has become a huge headache. I did notice some some real small gold like flakes in the reservoir.

#5 · (Edited)
... cant see why the pump would work sometimes and not other times...
The pump is spun by the smooth side of the timing belt, and if the bearing in the pump is going bad, then the belt will just slip on the pulley and not turn it.

It is also a good way to burn up the belt (and bend valves, etc) If the timing belt hasn't been changed in the last 6-7 years/100,000 miles you are way overdue.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.