Charger Forums banner

Painted Brake Calipers ~ help

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Shots 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have just bought me a 2013 Charger SXT with the apperance package on it.

LET THE MODDING BEGIN.

First, I want to do a cheap fast mod and paint my calipers. I searched around th forums trying to find a Do IT yourself sticky but no lucky.

I want to paint it RED. I will use a high heat engine enamel or actual caliper paint. I am just wondering what all does it involved in painting the calipers?

Do you remove everything and spray or mask it of?
A link on how to take it all down would be a great help

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I just masked and sprayed with caliper paint. Be sure to paint the "top hat" also.

This is the best pic I have of mine:

#3 ·
I just used cheap throw away brushes. IMO, it's good enough :)

High temp engine paint is what I used, G2, has premixed colors. For me, their purple is more Fuscia then purple.

#4 ·
There are many different brands of high heat/caliper paint out there with a wide variety of colors. I used the G2. It's the most expensive and it's a paint on type with a brush. If you know what you are doing, taking the calipers off is probably best. I however do not so I taped everything off. Just make sure EVERYTHING is covered well and take your time. GL bro !!

#5 ·
Didn't look hard enough I see:biggrinjester:
How Do I Do Everything?

Three links to threads showing you how to paint your calipers and what products they used :beerchug:

To make it easier to find in the thread just click "Ctrl+F" and search the page for "calipers" it'll pop right up.

#6 ·
It's really quite easy. I've done many many cars/trucks. I use Rustoleum with a brush. Jack the tire up you want to paint (or all 4 tires if you've got enough jack stands), take the tire(s) off. I use a wire brush to remove the heavy stuff, then scotchbrite to remove the looser stuff. Take a lint free rag with mineral spirits to clean the caliper and then make sure it's good and dry. Then just brush the paint on. Let dry add another coat or two, and you're done.
Here's photos of some of my projects raging from my Ram to my Steeda Mustang. Yes the correct Rustolem will hold up to the heat just fine, a 1 quart can cost about $10, and you can paint a LOT of calipers with 1 can. Total cost of supplies with paint, brushes, cleaning supplies, etc should come to less than $25.

My 2012 Charger -

My 2010 Charger -

My 2003 Dakota -

My 2005 Ram -

My 2007 Ram with Off-Road rims -

My 2007 Ram with stock 20" rims -

My 2007 Ram with PD on stock rims -

My 2005 Grand Am -

My 1997 Steeda (the calipers were originally red, I painted them yellow) -

All of these were done with Rustoleum. It took me a few hours on each and cost next to nothing to do. No need to remove the caliper from the car. You can either tape everything off or just keep a rag at hand to wipe off any areas that you didn't intend to get paint on. It wipes off easily, but once it's dry it's very hard/durable. It holds up to everything from high temp on performance brakes, to road salt and mud on the truck.

#8 ·
No problem, glad to help. It really is an easy mod. It's dirt cheap and is one of the things that people seem to notice the most. Of all the stuff I've done to car/trucks this mod is the best bang for the buck. Could be because there's hardly any "buck" involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.