Charger Forums banner

Catalytic converters

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Part Deux 
#1 ·
I drive a 2012 charger R/T and would appreciate some help here. I ran a catless midpipe for the last several months however it's time to quiet it back down, the only problem is the exhaust shop "kept" my OEM cats. What aftermarket cats could I purchase that wouldnt' cause a CEL? Not looking for performance just replacement of OEM. Would maganflow universal fit cats work? Thanks.

#2 ·
Honestly I would look into High Flow cats. I know you aren't looking for performance but this option quiets your exhaust down and allows you to keep the performance.

Otherwise any universal cats should work. Just make sure you have the correct pipe diameter.

Never let the shop keep your stock parts. They scrap them and make good money. Cats have small amounts of platinum in them and they can fetch a pretty penny at most scrap yards.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yea I told them to put the stock cats in the truck I was pretty pissed when I realized they wherent in there and the shop had apparently already thrown them away(scrapped them for a few hundred. Main concern is with CELS. I know hi-flows are known to throw CELS, would a universal fit magnaflow throw a code?

#6 ·
High flows are hit or miss with CELs. With proper tuning you wouldn't have an issue. Same goes with the universal cats. These cars are very picky with items that are not oem, I would imagine they should still work okay.

As far as the pipe diameter goes, I think the RT has 2.25 piping while the SRT has 2.5. I could be wrong though.

#7 ·
spark plug extenders work... mine took two.

Custom tune can turn off the CEL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.