Charger Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First oil change.

18K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Part Deux 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what dodge puts in these cars for break in oil? When do you suggest to change it? The book said just to break the engine in for 500miles but never said to change the oil. I've owned the car for almost a month and its has 150 miles on it. My dad says to change it at the 500 mile mark to get any pieces of metal out that are there from break in. How many miles before you did your first oil change?

#3 ·
You should change factory oil at no later than the first 1000 miles - from there, stay with the same brand oil and right viscosity for the life of the car. Yes synthetic is better than conventional but not necessary.
Why the same brand?

#4 ·
Your Dad is still in the old school of break-in oils and first change intervals. It just isn't true anymore. These engines are well refined from the factory and not like the old days of a raw engine that need to be "seated" with a break-in oil (high friction) which intentionally honed and polished the engine rotational surfaces resulting in fine metal shavings. Those days are long gone.

The engine oil installed in your engine at the factory is a high quality energy conserving type lubricant (low friction). It is not a break-in oil and does not require a short change interval. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. First oil change should be done around 3000 miles. Doing it early won't hurt, but it isn't necessary.

#5 ·
I agree it may not be necessary to do the first one early. The same brand should be used because the additive packages across the different kinds aren't compatible with each other and could lead to oil consumption and sludge buildup (according to my trusted source). It must also meet the Chrysler spec. And unless you're putting mostly highway miles on it, change it every 3k with a new MOPAR filter each time. Can't go wrong there. I do Pennzoil conventional.

#6 ·
I agree it may not be necessary to do the first one early. The same brand should be used because the additive packages across the different kinds aren't compatible with each other and could lead to oil consumption and sludge buildup (according to my trusted source). It must also meet the Chrysler spec. And unless you're putting mostly highway miles on it, change it every 3k with a new MOPAR filter each time. Can't go wrong there. I do Pennzoil conventional.
Your trusted source is incorrect and sadly misinformed.

#8 · (Edited)
Run the oil between 500 and 800 miles and then change it with filter.

As far as the same brand idea, don't know where that comes from! We purchase from Lubrizol, Infinium, Octel, Ethyl, and Univar.

There are standard stock off the shelf oils that contain the same ingredients in varying amounts. There is no need to make sure it is a specific brand.....if you are talking about off the shelf.

I know this as I have been designing lubricants for just over 20 years and involved with all the major manufacturers and also the racing industry.

Now if you do want a truly superior lubricant then yes, QuantumBlue is what you want. From the 800 miles on up, we can design a product for you that is changed every 10k to 12k miles and produce virtually zero wear on the engine for as long as you own it. Add ACES IV to the mix and the car will simply not wear while you go to extended drain intervals! Cars going 12k, 14k, 16k and 18k miles on ONE oil change! :bigthumb:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3519241#post3519241

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#10 ·
This is ridiculous- I'm just offering advice from a mechanic I trust who's been in the business for 40 years. And yet all I get is flak from smart asses and know it alls so f*** it - I'm through - do whatever you want. And of course no discussion on oil would be complete without Brian and his miracle juice.

#11 · (Edited)
Mechanics do mechanical work but don't know chemistry or tribology.

And yes, you call it miracle juice because you haven't bothered to look at the FACTS.....and the facts bare out our claims! I give facts and you give opinions of someone else's opinion......talk about miracles.

And as a PAYING vendor here I will always weigh in on lubricants.....consequence of a free forum.

Regards,
Brian

#12 ·
Everybody out of the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.