Charger Forums banner

Express Up/Down power windows

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  joescat 
#1 ·
Ok so Dodge.com says the Daytona or more specifically convenience group II has express up/down power front windows. The car I just bought doesn't have this. All it has is Driver's Auto down.

Was this a running change? Does anyone have this feature?

Is it possible to buy the parts to retro-fit this feature? I really like this with power windows...I usually ride around with the windows down but when someone calls I like to be able to just smack the button once and have the windows go up.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

#2 ·
#1 Zero said:
Ok so Dodge.com says the Daytona or more specifically convenience group II has express up/down power front windows. The car I just bought doesn't have this. All it has is Driver's Auto down.

Is it possible to buy the parts to retro-fit this feature? I really like this with power windows...I usually ride around with the windows down but when someone calls I like to be able to just smack the button once and have the windows go up.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
The SRT8 comes standard with the Convenience Group and has the dual front auto up and down feature.

I believe the Chargers have all had this as an option from day one... ?

Don't know about adding it after purchase... ?

#3 ·
#1 Zero said:

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Same here. I thought my RT w/convenience group should have it, but all I have is driver auto-down.

Also, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center is suppose to show which tire(s) are low when the light comes on. My did not. I have a couple of questions for Chrysler.

#4 ·
a14umbra said:
Same here. I thought my RT w/convenience group should have it, but all I have is driver auto-down.

Also, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center is suppose to show which tire(s) are low when the light comes on. My did not. I have a couple of questions for Chrysler.

Mine did. It was under System (when you cycle thru w/ the menu button you get the gas mileage stuff, personal settings, SYSTEM OK). It was under system ok, but it said something else (I believe it said SYSTEM WARN., don't remember cause it happend so long ago), but it said LF, I went and checked the Left Front and it was at 23psi.

I have noticed one time my passenger side front window seems to close real fast (almost as fast as the driver front) and another time it goes about half speed. The rear windows have never done that, they have always moved half the speed of the driver front window. It would be nice to have auto up/down on both fronts, and I'm sure there will be a way to retro fit the newer system into the cars w/o it..... Just give it time.....

#5 ·
So the switches do exist? They are out there...that's good news anyway.

a14umbra-Unfortunately for us car companies have the little disclaimer that "features & specs can change at any time without notice." So they can de-content all they want or drop stuff they are having huge probs with. That's cool, but I honestly thought my car would have this feature. Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker. Just a minor annoyance.

Hopefully de stinking switches aren't $250 a pop. I don't know exactly how they work though-do they have an end switch that flips when the window hits top or bottom to quit powering the window? Could be a pretty nasty install...

I dug up some old thread that said production had stopped on cars with conv grp II because of this way back in the late spring/early summer. It apparently required changes to several wiring harnesses etc. I know my car has the updated (non-turn-offable-pursuit pkg) ESP so I figured it was built after the up/down change was implemented, but I suppose not.

Anyone have some good info on this???

#6 ·
Zero- I found this in the Charger Service Manual:

The system also includes various features to manage the perceived forces on the glass as it travels up. If the
express closing calibration is lost, the system will self-calibrate itself after the windows are moved up and down two
cycles.

Give it a try and see what happens.

#7 ·
Chuck,
Thanks for the good info! I can tell that isn't the problem though. Auto up/down windows have two detent positions in each direction-push down a little, go down a little, push down all the way (hear a click) go down all the way. In the up direction there is only one detent (there is no second "click" position for auto up).

But for those of you WITH up/down what Chuck posted is good to remember. unplug your battery and the cal can get lost so you have to hold the button all the way up while the window closes/all the way down while the window opens. You might have to do it several times as well before the computer "gets it".

#9 ·
I have the convenience group and the electronics group. I checked my manual. It says that I should have Dirver Auto-Down only.

However, I should have the low pressure indication of which tire is low. I spoke with the dealer, he said that since the cold weather made all 4 low at the same time, the system probably couldn't indicate which one. Guess I'll try a little test this weekend.

#10 ·
Hmmm. I didn't save anything about it, but after I ordered my R/T in August, there was a parts delay. I remember it being the power windows, and a wiring harness change was required, contributing to the delay.
The Dodge website never used to say auto up/down windows, last time I checked it did. I assumed that was a recent change, that they added the auto up feature.

There were threads about it here too I believe. Some thought maybe it was a liability thing, but other manufacturers have auto-up - I don't think any have ones that won't stop if encountering an obstruction of course, just makes sense. Too many stupid people will choke themselves on the thing otherwise.

The same that need "contents hot" warnings on hot coffee, and a "warning, contents flammable" on a lighter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.