Charger Forums banner

Seat belt chime / push to start ignition bypass

107K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  cihlenfeld 
#1 ·
I understand this has been answered for traditional key ignitions, but I cant find the answer for the "Push to start" ignition to turn off the seatbelt chime. The owners manual states the dealer has to do it. I just got a 2012 R/T, I know someone here has to know the answer.

#4 ·
why dont you just wear your seat belt instead?

#19 ·
When I meet a friend at their apartment, they get in and use their access button to open the parking garage and ride to the guest parking with me. There is no reason to buckle to go down one level to the parking.

I also drive onsite at my business from the shop to the office multiple times a day. Too far for walking to be efficient and it’s private property so there is no traffic.Wearing my seatbelt would be silly.

#5 ·
Try this it will work.

While sitting in the car with the doors shut and key with you, press the engine start button so its on RUN but don't start the car. Make sure the seatbelt is already buckled before starting this. Once the ignition is on RUN, unclick and re-click the seatbelt about 5-6 times. On the last one, leave it buckled. Now press the button so the ignition is off, and it should chime.

It will still display the seatbelt is unbuckled on the information display but there is no chime.

#11 ·
Does it stay this way going forward, or do you need to reset it each time? Also does this disable for both the passenger and driver? I'd like to disable it for me, the driver for short runs, but I like it for my wife, the passenger because she tends to forget to buckle in while in the passenger seat, and the chime reminds her.

#6 ·
Or you could just wear your seat belt like the law says. They are here for a reason, to protect and save your life. Just my 2 cents though.

#16 ·
Not every state has a seat belt law. Mine doesn't. I always wear it when going on a legitimate trip, but I literally live 300 ft from a mall so I sometimes don't bother buckling up for the 10 second, 10 mph trip to the grocery store. (Yes, I could just walk across the street, but sometimes it's raining/snowing and sometimes I need more groceries than I can carry).

#7 ·
Thanks for this, I was trying to figure it out myself.

And to those who want to know why I would want to turn it off, it's because I don't need a reminder. I've been been wearing a seat belt religiously for 30 years. But when I run back and forth to my parents house, 3 blocks over in our cul-de-sac, I don't worry about the belt. No one could get up to 20 miles an hour on the section between our houses, even if they tried. Other than that, my belt is on. Of course, that's just me.

In some states, it's legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but it's not legal for someone to be stupid enough to drive around without a seatbelt. Go figure.

#10 ·
I won't drive even half a block without my seat belt on, but I think I'll use this tip anyway. Thanks.

#14 ·
We live out in the country where we are a 1/4 mile from the main road on a private drive. That chime will drive you absolutely crazy!

#21 ·
Welcome to the forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.