Charger Forums banner

Road Course Take 2 - Thunderhill 5 mile

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ron380 
#1 ·
Did another road course. This time 5 miles at thunderhill.

Again I exceed the g limit of the display and the 'rated' limit of the car.

I was surprised to find that the stock brakes never gave any hint of being over worked. This time with longer straight aways and more comfortable with the car I was touching speeds of 130mph. With the car needing to be slowed down to 60 to turn in. Real work out on the brakes. Stock pads/fluid no problems!

I monitored fluid temps and oil never got above 270, tranny stayed in the mid 180's and engine ranged from 208-220 depending on the session and how hard I pushed it. All reasonable.

The factory tires have a pretty good sidewall, and grip is reasonably. With the weight of the car and the heat they started to gum up. Better tires will be needed.

There is no doubt this is not a track beast, but it's doing what I want just fine. There are few cars that pull on it in the straights and I received several comments on the wonderful sound she was making. Only v8 in the group.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Lots o' Fun! :bigthumb:

When I did road courses in my Charger, I upgraded the brake fluid and pads. My transmission did get above 250 several times (I was in second and third using autostick), but I would just put it in Drive for one or two "easier" laps and it would cool right down again.

My "track tires" were Sumitomo HTR Z3's, worked fairly well when dry, and worked very well in the rain, and I could drive to/from the track with them on.
I didn't go with slicks because there weren't any replacement bushings made for the AWD front end. I chose to wear down the tires before suspension parts.
Have you seen my Road Course Preparation thread? :)

#6 ·
Great pics. Looks like fun.

275/40s are the way to go for sure. After I burned off the stock Goodyear Eagle F1s on my SRT8 I went 275/40 on all subsequent tires.

#7 ·
@ron not sure I saw your thread. I've been tracking regularly for years. Keep in minD I have the SRT so the brakes, tranny and oil are configured for the abuse. I bet AWD was fun to pull her out of the corners!

loved the HTRZ 3 on my sports car. Not sure they make them for my size! If they do I will be buying!

@flex I am with ya there. It'll be a nice improvement, though I am shocked at how well the the skinner ones held up.

#8 · (Edited)
Here ya go. I haven't updated it since I don't have the Charger any more, but the thread over on LXF has some relatively newer updates in it. Most of the good stuff I updated in the first post anyway. ;)

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84202&highlight=road+course

I traded in the Charger for a Mustang GT, and upgraded the suspension on it, but then various things came up and I haven't been on a track in 2 years.
Just traded in the 'Stang on a Subaru, too. Gonna go play in the dirt this year. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.