Charger Forums banner

Battery installed bakwards.

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  djalbin 
#1 ·
So back in january, I bought a battery at Advanced Auto Part for my wifes 2006 Dodge Charger 2.7 engine. The idiot who worked there some how installed the battery backwards. When he did this, the horn wouldn't stop blowing and the windhshield wiper was just going off spraying washer fluid every where. not to mention fried my altenator. so what advance auto did was had my alternator replaced and the instrument cluster replaced. Also the replaced all the burnt out fuses. It got my car to running for about 6 months. about 3 weeks ago, my wife came home from work, turned the car off, ran in the house, came back, tried to start the car but the car would not turn over. we thought it was the starter so we replaced the starter but that didnt fix the issue. we got new keys and had dodge program them to the car but that didn't fix the issue either. now the car is just sitting because i have no idea what the issue is. Can somebody help me? like give me an idea where to look or something?

Any help is appreciated thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like the alternator failed and the battery died. You need to jump start it and check the charging system to see if it's putting out the right volts. If you can't jump it, you may have to charge the battery first.

The other possibility is that the starter died.

#6 ·
If jump starting didn't work, then your alternator likely isn't putting out what it should. You can start a car without a battery in it by jumping it and it will stay running as long as the alternator is putting out the correct volts/amps.

Indy cars don't have batteries and use power packs to start. Once running, they stay running on their own.

#7 ·
it will stay running as long as the alternator is putting out the correct volts/amps
The key phrase here is "as long as the alternator is putting out the correct volts/amps". The battery acts a buffer against alternator fluctuations. If the alternator starts going out of spec (without a battery to buffer it) it can damage all the electronics in your car.
In practically all late model cars the battery is connected in parallel to the alternator. When running, the battery helps smooth out power spikes from the alternator. The car's computers will not like the jagged current coming out of the alternator and may throw a whole lot of DCTs, possibly even shutting things down.

Also, whatever you do ... Never Disconnect the Battery with the Engine Running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.