Charger Forums banner

I may be in the minority with the new 2015's.....

17K views 96 replies 36 participants last post by  michiganpat 
#1 ·
Am I one of the few that isn't really a fan of the redesigned 2015 model Chargers? This isn't a knock on anyone here on the forums that bought one, I just wanted to get a general feel for what people here thought about the redesign.

I was a the dealership the other day shopping cars with my pops (he's in the market for a Challenger) and I really wanted to get an up close look at the 2015 Chargers since we were there. I had the sales guy grab a key for me so I could get a look at the interior as well. The interior looked awesome, but I am puzzled as to why the exterior was changed to look like a bigger Dart. Mind you, the SRT's look ok because the fascia is a tad different.

The sale's guys at the dealership were about 50/50 on them according to what I was told, but I wanted to get a better feel for what people on here thought about them. I love the 2nd gens (traded my '08 for one) and was surprised that the Charger was radically redesigned so quickly after a 4 year run with the then current designs.

Again, not a knock on anyone that bought one. Just want to hear from the true enthusiasts here on the boards :beerchug: Thoughts?

#2 ·
Personally, I like the redesign. It's a new look that I feel is long overdue.

Sure the previous generations looked great, but everything must...and will inevitably...change.

It has it's own appeal IMHO, and mods only make it better...just like it has always been.

Attachments

#3 ·
I like the scat pack and above up to the hellcat, the RT on down to the SE I'm not a huge a fan of. And it took me some time to warm up to the 15 in general.

I still think the 15s are a nice car for sure, but if I had to pick an RT I'd go for an 06-14 (I currently own a 2014 RT).

That being said, I'm working on getting a scat pack. It looks like it may be a 16, but I really like the look and performance of the scat pack, and I think it's a great value.

I've talked to a few different people about the redesign, and everyone I talk to has a different opinion, but that makes it great because it's up to you to get what you like.

Reactions: RScottyL and GTO_04
#12 ·
I feel the same, the SRT's are nice but anything below that is just kind of 'meh' to me. I know the car recently hit the market, but I've only seen one in my area. A lot of people seem to be buying the new Challengers where I live though.

Reactions: RScottyL
#4 ·
I am still not keen of how the upper and lower grill kind of merge together in a V-like shape, but I do love the appearance of the SP/SRT hood and grill. To each their own though.

#8 ·
I am ok with some face lifting on the Charger, but, I do not like the front look. It looks like a stretched Dart and does not look aggressive at all. Every other angle is ok. The '11-14 looks amazing and more muscle car like. Now I don't hate the new one as I think it still looks better than 95% of the other saloons (sedans) out there right now. I think I would get the 300 as I think they improved the style this time around. In fact sometimes I look at a new 300 on the road and say to myself "damn could of had that". But I'm still happy I got the '14 Charger. :)

#10 ·
Haha see that's funny because I have a friend with a 2008 300, and he hates the front end of the new 300. It's interesting to me to read about everyone's opinions. And gotta love that 14 Charger:bigthumb:

Reactions: RScottyL
#9 ·
Curious that the Camaro is also going with the squinty slit look.

#11 ·
Yea and it still looks like crap. As a former REAL Camaro I owner the Camaro name should of stayed dead.

Haha see that's funny because I have a friend with a 2008 300, and he hates the front end of the new 300. It's interesting to me to read about everyone's opinions. And gotta love that 14 Charger:bigthumb:
I'm not surprised, I guess that sort of thing is common eh?

And yes, love my '14. :D

#13 ·
For me the redesign is what finally sold it. I have checked them out for a while, I have a 69 Super Bee so I was really trying to like the late model Super Bee's because I thought it would be cool to have both. Have had several friends with Chargers and 300's over the last several years. Always liked them, but not enough to pull the trigger on one for me. When a friend texted me a picture of a 15 SP that was it, I started investigating and ordered the SRT. The RT and down still don't excite me as much, pretty sure they still wouldn't have lured me in, but I still like them.

With all the neck snapping that goes on while driving this thing around, it sure seems like others like it too, and I couldn't be happier (well maybe a Hellcat would make me happier).

#15 · (Edited)
I've been on the fence since the refresh happened. I go back and forth. I have come to appreciate the SP,SRT and Hellcat look but am still just so so on the others.

Here's my honest take as a comparison to the 2011-14s. Every time I'm driving down the road and see a 11-14, I think damn that's a good looking car. The whole look just works.

When I see a 2015 I think hum it doesn't seem to fit. Reason being is the sculpted sides look out of place with the rounded front and rear. Unlike the 11-14 which the sides enhance the sharper edges of front and rear.

That to me is it.

Reactions: The Dark Knight
#19 ·
My 2 cents is... All of the modern chargers are good looking cars. I see the 06-11's around and they look clean and sturdy. That is what made me want a charger in the first place and I still stop and check them out. If I could get and R/T as a spare I would. I bought the 2012 and I really liked the refresh. The interior upgrade, 8.4 Uconnect, the 3.6 pentastar and 8spd were a nice blend of increased comfort, convenience, and updated technology. Now the 2015's look good and show a nice evolutionary trajectory. I confess I like the overall design theme and I bought a Dart as well because it "matches" my charger in the driveway. The turbo 1.4L/manual 6-spd is also a blast to drive.

#20 ·
I love the looks of the Scat Pack and up as well. But I've always thought that the newer Chargers (pre- 2015) were too long in the front. The look kinda reminded me of a moose, like it had a rediculously long front overhang around the grill area, and the "recessed" headlights added to the effect.

I've had my eye on 2015's every since the Hellcat Charger was released. I've been in the market for a new sedan for a good minute, and there was nothing at the time that really excited me. If I was going to have to start paying another car car note, then that car better put a smile on my face every time I close that door! Well, that new bodystyle of the Hellcat was what did it for me, but I knew I wouldn't be able to afford it. It wasn't until way later that I found out about the Scat Pack, and now I'm 2 days from taking delivery of my Scat Pack.

I completely agree with alot of you when you say that the Scat Packs, SRT 392's, and Hellcats look OK, but anything lower looks bland. But I also like this fact, because it helps to differentiate my car from the rest of the pack.

#21 · (Edited)
The moose is the first time I have heard that analogy lol, that's pretty spot on. Although, I have to agree with some of the other posters. pre-2015's do look a little meaner imo. Or a meaner looking moose, so to speak

#22 ·
I hated the '15's at first. But after seeing a few on the road and at the dealer my thoughts are this. If they would just change the smiley lower grille to something similar to the Scat's and up I'd really like them a whole lot more. And since it's my wish list, I'd like to see R/T's available with AWD. The Hellcat in White though...lol...my all time favorite, wish I could afford it, get the f*** outta my way super fantasy car.

Alas...I need to pay off my '13 R/T Max AWD and coast for awhile.

#28 ·
You could make this same post in 2011 and it'd be applicable to the 2011 Charger. Much hate after the press release but people warmed up to it even with all the criticisms.

#23 ·
I guess if the Darts weren't out too, I would probably come around to the redesign. They just look way too much alike for my tastes. The new Durango and Grand Cherokee are kind of like that too in that respect.

Reactions: klevrgrafix
#26 ·
Always thought the 2nd generation Charger body looked solid, the SHP and other LEO's drive them in NC so get to see them plenty. The changes to the 2015, especially the front end from SP on up really is what got me cosmetically in to a dealer to take a look. The power / MPG from the HEMI 392 can't be equaled in price from what I've found. I also have to say that I was really impressed with the interior overall, been a good while since I had driven a Dodge CAR though (I'm picky as Hell and have had 3 Audi's in the recent past so appreciate nice fit and finish).

I was seriously looking at the new Mustangs or a CPO A7, really wanted something I could fit both my boys in or more than one friend when the need be. The new SRT 392 hit the spot for me.

#27 ·
It doesn't even look like a DART, idk where people see that, the proportions are totally different, besides the front bumper blackout and shape of the rear tailights I don't see any other similarities, the silhouettes are totally different, the stance is different, EVERYTHING. I feel like some troll commented on a facebook post after the charger released that it looked like a Dart and it caught fire and people have that pre conceived notion. I don't see it, take away the grille blackout and do you really see a Dart? Smh...

BTW the racetrack tail lamps on the DART were influenced by the 2011 Charger...

#29 ·
Criticisms of the 11 (including 12 SRT8):

-Big protruding grille/snout unsightly
-No rear quarter panel hips like the last gen
-Looks like an Mitsu EVO front end
-Interior layout looks like a pickup truck
-too many LEDs on the back, what will happen if one of them goes out?
-Touchscreen everything, effin whipper snappers, I need BUTTONS

Just some of the many criticisms...

sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Well ignorance with a new model for any car followed by enthusiasts is welcomed by bias opinions. I remember I got in an argument with someone on this forum a while back around when the 15s released for the press, and I pretty much said no opinions matter at the moment because people will grow to like them, and alas I was right... this is a replication of 2011/2012 of the second modern gen charger. Funny isn't it? How car enthusiast history repeats itself XD

#31 ·
Criticisms of the 11 (including 12 SRT8):

-Big protruding grille/snout unsightly
-No rear quarter panel hips like the last gen
-Looks like an Mitsu EVO front end
-Interior layout looks like a pickup truck
-too many LEDs on the back, what will happen if one of them goes out?
-Touchscreen everything, effin whipper snappers, I need BUTTONS
These are all very valid points when you come to think about them...

Too bad I couldnt get the previous gen Charger brand new..after '10 none of the redesigns seem to be able to match the beefy look it had.

#34 ·
I bought a new 2014 for the style, don't like the 2015 front end, AND to get the color I wanted.

#35 ·
Didn't the new Avenger look like a smaller 06-10 Charger in many ways? I don't recall anyone crying then.

ZOMG; The Charger looks like a fat Avenger... :confused:

All Dodge vehicles have similar styling cues; lights, grills, wheels, etc.

Just like every other car manufacturer....

So yeah; you bought a Dodge and it resembles other Dodge's. SHOCKING. :shocked:

But DRIVE a 2015 Charger of any flavor and I'm quite sure you won't think you're driving a Dart. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TASVIC01 and GTO_04
#37 ·
Just like everyone was in 2011. Doesn't surprise me one bit. I remember one guy saying the 2011+ charger owners should have a totally separate forum the 2006-2010 owners because it's not what the charger was "about". Welcome to the club of redesign criticisms. Come back for the show in 2019 when FCA releases it's next generation Charger. I GUARANTEE you it will be the same show it was in 2011.... 2015... so on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.