Charger Forums banner

high oil pressure?

29K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rob-2 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I don't really know what this sensor means, but looking through the EVIC options when I first got the car I saw the oil pressure and googled what was normal for these cars. I read that normal idle was around 20-30 psi and then around 50 for driving. When I checked they were completely in line with what I read.

Anyways today I randomly checked it and it doesn't go below 45 while at idle and goes to 55 when accelerating. Is this too high?

#3 ·
Do the Hemi's have the same dual-stage oil pump setup that the 3.6's do? In the 3.6's, they basically double the oil pressure until the oil reaches around 140 degrees, then switches over to a normal pressure stage.

#4 ·
Doesn't sound too high to me. My 2014 5.7 is at 51psi at 55mph, so very similar to yours. My pressure is about 30 at idle, but 45 does not sound like a problem to me.

Did you change oil weight? Or, Ddaddy's question?

#5 ·
didn't change weight but it could have been cold... I'll keep watching it

#6 · (Edited)
One thing to remember is that the engine for the first 5 minutes is in complete bypass. So the oil is coming out of the engine passing by the element into the bypass and right back into the engine. This is done so that the oil will not strip the element out of the pleats. Once it sees a 8 to 10 psi drop (on the 1958 to 2007 black filters and 16 psi on the 2008 and up 22mm 1.5 mm white QB oil filters) the bypass shuts off and the filter element is now filtering the oil.

If you saw the higher pressures I would believe that you were still in bypass.

Also take into consideration that the engine needs 10 psi per 1000 rpm to maintain it's integrity. 45 to 55 on the highway when you are running 2,150 rpm is more than plenty. After all, the oil is the bearing.;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#11 · (Edited)
80 psi is within normal limits, your oil filter won't blow until you hit 135-140 psi.

My V-6 shows 93 psi at cold idle, 30 when fully warmed up. Driving in town at 1,500-3000 rpm it stays around 35-40 psi. WOT it shoots up to 60 psi instantly, then climbs to 95 psi as the rpms increase to red line.

My old school big block 513 stroker has a high volume/high pressure pump with an adjustable regulator spring. I have it set at 45 psi at hot idle, 75 psi above idle. (I had to adjust it down from the 95 psi it had right out of the box). It stays at 75 psi when I run 10W-30 oil, but jumps up to 90 psi when I use 15W-40 oil.

Attachments

#14 ·
The filters (all of them) bypass when cold and when it drops 16 psi on the 22mm 1.5mm thread pitch white filter we make...... it then goes into full filtration. Burst pressure is 275 psi and it moves/filters 9-11 gallons per minute (GPM). ;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.