Charger Forums banner

HOW TO: Map Update on Uconnect CTP13+ (2013 - 2014)

393K views 974 replies 197 participants last post by  IcarusLSC 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE: I wanted to thank user "tanbam" for these instructions, and for his permission to use them to start this thread!

This map updating process is for the CTP13 and newer radios on the following vehicles:

Chrysler 300 2013-2014
Dodge Charger 2013-2014
Dodge Dart 2013-2016
Dodge Journey 2013-2017

You should see an arrow for "Where To" when going to your navigation screen:

If you have a 2011 – 2012 Charger, the files needed are different and instructions are located here:

HOW TO: Map Update on Uconnect CTP11 & CTP12 (2011 - 2012)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting Started - What you will need:

(1) Compatible Garmin Nuvi which has 3D maps and junction views.
(2) Compatible USB flash drive at least 8GB in size
(3) CTP13 firmware if your unit doesn't have it!
(4) Garmin Express to update the maps on your Garmin Nuvi

Step 1: Getting update files from the Nuvi

Begin by plugging your Nuvi into the computer and running GARMIN Express or Garmin Map Updater. The program will let you update your Nuvi software and will install the latest map update. This will take some time, so just let it do its thing.

After the Nuvi has been updated and has the latest maps, you must enable the Mass Storage feature so that you can browse the files using your computer's file explorer. After this is done, your Nuvi will show up in your computer like a normal USB flash drive. This only needs to be done once.

To enable Mass Storage in the Nuvi:
1) Disconnect the Nuvi from the computer.
2) From the main, "Where To?" screen, tap the "Volume" button.
3) Tap and hold the upper-right corner for about 10 seconds to enter the Diagnostics Page.
4) Scroll down and tap "MTP Settings".
5) Select "Mass Storage" and tap the "Save" button.
5) Tap the back arrow button twice to go back to the main screen.

After Mass Storage is enabled, plug the Nuvi back into the computer. To copy the update files to a USB stick:

1) Ensure that the computer is set to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", and that "Hide extensions for known file types" & "Hide protected operating system files" are both unchecked. This will allow you to easily find the Nuvi files and avoid confusion.

2) Plug a blank USB stick into your computer and create a folder named "Garmin". All of the update files will go into this folder, regardless of where they came from in the Nuvi. Inside the Garmin folder, create three more folders named "ASR", "JCV", and "SID".

3) Open the Nuvi 'drive' and browse to the ".System" folder which should be visible at the top of the list. If you don't see it, go back and double-check that step 1) was completed properly.

4) Copy ONLY the following five files from the ".System" folder in the Nuvi into the "Garmin" folder in the USB stick (UPDATED FILES IN GREEN):

gmap3d.img (07/01/2021)
gmapprom.img (07/01/2021)
gmapbmap.img (03/14/2011)
gmaptz.img (05/03/2021)
gmapdem.img (07/01/2021)

5) Browse to the ".System\ASR" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following four files into the "Garmin\ASR" folder on the USB stick:

06U3MARK.SRX (07/01/2021)
06U3MARL.ASR (07/01/2021)
06U3MARM.ASR (07/01/2021)
06U3MARN.ASR (07/01/2021)
*Note that these file names are ONLY for 2022.20 map.

6) Browse to the ".System\JCV" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following file into the "Garmin\JCV" folder on the USB stick:

D31913780A.JCV (07/01/2021)
Large JCV File D3060350A.JCV
*Note that this file name is ONLY for the 2022.20 map
**Note that there are three different versions of the JCV file, determined by size! The above listed is the MEDIUM sized one!

7) Browse to the ".System\SID" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following two files into the "Garmin\SID" folder on the USB stick:

D2656400A.SID (07/01/2021)
D3406360A.SID (07/01/2021)

When you are finished, the folder/file structure on the USB stick should look like this:

└───Garmin
. │ gmap3d.img
. │ gmapprom.img
. │ gmaptz.img
. │ gmapbmap.img
. │ gmapdem.img
. │
. ├───ASR
. │ 06U3MARK.SRX
. │ 06U3MARL.ASR
. │ 06U3MARM.ASR
. │ 06U3MARN.ASR
. │
. ├───JCV
. │ D3191380A.JCV
. │
. └───SID
. D2656400A.SID
. D3406360A.SID

Some folks may notice that this does not include the full set of update files that come with a Nuvi update, however, these are the only files that are required for the CTP13 and newer system. The other files will just be taking up unnecessary space.

Step 2: Unlocking the gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img files

Now that the update package is on the USB stick, there is still one more step before it can be uploaded to the car. This may be unnecessary, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

The CTP13+ systems do not require you to generate an unlock code, but two files, gmapprom.img & gmap3d.img should be manually unlocked before they go into the car.

The best program that I've used to unlock the maps can be found here:

Garmin Image Tools

Download this file to your computer and unzip into a folder on your desktop.

To unlock the two files, simply drag-and-drop them one at a time onto the "gimgunlock.exe" file using your file explorer. It will only take a couple of seconds to unlock both files. A command window will flash by, so fast you may miss it if you blink.

Step 3: Updating the CTP13 and newer map in the car

Now the update package is ready to go into the car.

It could very well be that the update is ready to go as it is, but I didn't use this exact method while I was getting my system going. I was trying to use the full nuvi update package, which I believe may have been too large. This smaller file set may install fine with no problems.

I'll post the method that I used after this post, but hopefully it won't be needed since it requires you to go through the update process multiple times.

1) Toggle the Start button to the ACC or RUN positions. The car engine needs not be running, but be aware that the car will turn itself off in the ACC or RUN positions after a period of time. It is critical that you don't allow the car to turn off after the update process begins. Either babysit it by periodically cycling the Start button to reset the timer (make sure the doors are closed when doing this) or just go for a drive while the map is being updated. The update can take more than an hour, so plan accordingly.

2) Go to the navigation screen and plug the update USB stick into the USB jack in the center console. The radio will recognize that an update disk has been inserted, and will begin validating the files on the USB stick. This may take some time.

If the validation process has an error, especially if a "0x31A0" pops up, then this all-at-once method will not work. Please go to the next post for further instructions.

If the validation process passes, a window will pop up and will ask you if you want to update to the newer map. Proceed through the onscreen prompts.

3) After this, the radio will reboot and begin copying the new files into the system. This will take a long time, so just let it finish.

Occasionally, the radio may lock up at the reboot stage. If it doesn't reboot after a minute or so, you must pull the radio fuse in the trunk. I have no idea why this happens, but nothing bad happens to the radio and you can simply repeat from step 1 again after plugging the fuse back in.

4) After the install process has reached 100%, the radio will again reboot. It may either tell you that the map update was successful or not, but if it got all the way to the end, the update was successful regardless of what it says.

5) Go into your settings and verify that the maps were updated to the latest version.

6) Enjoy!

Step 4: Fallback method for installing full update

This is the way that I updated my maps. It's more painful than the way I posted earlier, so I hope the previous method is good enough. I've spent so much time going through map updates that I just don't have the motivation to go back and do it again! Hopefully someone will chime in soon with a success story.

The problem is that the maps are getting too big. If there's not enough free space in the radio to fit the updated files, the validation process will fail.

There is a way to 'clean' out the radio of the older map files so that enough space is recovered for a full update.

Unfortunately, there's no way for us to plug a computer into the radio and make any changes, so we have to use the UConnect method.

When you install the new map, the old files are deleted during the process. If you do not have new files to replace them in the update USB stick, nothing gets copied in their place so the internal flash drive space is released.

I used a three-step process, but maybe steps 2 and 3 can be combined into one single step.

Step 1:

1) On the USB stick, create another folder in the root named "Disabled".
2) Move all of the Garmin subfolders (ASR, JCV, & SID) into the "Disabled" folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update. It will be faster, since fewer files are installed.

When this is done, you will have only updated the three files in the Garmin folder, gmapprom.img, gmap3d.img, and gmaptz.img. This will give you updated detailed maps, 3D landmarks, and time zones.

Step 2:

1) On the USB stick, move gmap3d.img & gmaptz.img from the Garmin folder into the Disabled folder. Leave gmapprom.img in the Garmin folder, otherwise you will get a "NO FILES FOUND" error
2) Move the JCV folder from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update again.

When this is done, the Junction View is now installed, and the 3D landmarks and time zones are still there.

Step 3:

1) On the USB stick, move the ASR & SID folders from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder. Leave gmapprom.img and the JCV folder in the Garmin folder.
2) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update once again.

After this is completed, the system is fully updated to the new maps and all features work except for the phone number lookup.

As I mentioned, steps 2 & 3 may possibly be done in one step after cleaning out the old files in step 1.

See less See more
#843 ·
This has been updated with the 2015.30 file names!

NOTE: I wanted to thank user "tanbam" for these instructions, and for his permission to use them to start this thread!

This map updating process is for the CTP13 and newer radios on the following vehicles:

Chrysler 300 2013-2014
Dodge Charger 2013-2014
Dodge Dart 2013-2016
Dodge Journey 2013-2017

You should see an arrow for "Where To" when going to your navigation screen:

If you have a 2011 – 2012 Charger, the files needed are different and instructions are located here:

HOW TO: Map Update on Uconnect CTP11 & CTP12 (2011 - 2012)

Getting Started - What you will need:

(1) Compatible Garmin Nuvi which has 3D maps and junction views.
(2) Compatible USB flash drive at least 8GB in size
(3) CTP13 firmware if your unit doesn't have it!
(4) Garmin Express to update the maps on your Garmin Nuvi

Step 1: Getting update files from the Nuvi

Begin by plugging your Nuvi into the computer and running GARMIN Express or Garmin Map Updater. The program will let you update your Nuvi software and will install the latest map update. This will take some time, so just let it do its thing.

After the Nuvi has been updated and has the latest maps, you must enable the Mass Storage feature so that you can browse the files using your computer's file explorer. After this is done, your Nuvi will show up in your computer like a normal USB flash drive. This only needs to be done once.

To enable Mass Storage in the Nuvi:
1) Disconnect the Nuvi from the computer.
2) From the main, "Where To?" screen, tap the "Volume" button.
3) Tap and hold the upper-right corner for about 10 seconds to enter the Diagnostics Page.
4) Scroll down and tap "MTP Settings".
5) Select "Mass Storage" and tap the "Save" button.
5) Tap the back arrow button twice to go back to the main screen.

After Mass Storage is enabled, plug the Nuvi back into the computer. To copy the update files to a USB stick:

1) Ensure that the computer is set to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", and that "Hide extensions for known file types" & "Hide protected operating system files" are both unchecked. This will allow you to easily find the Nuvi files and avoid confusion.

2) Plug a blank USB stick into your computer and create a folder named "Garmin". All of the update files will go into this folder, regardless of where they came from in the Nuvi. Inside the Garmin folder, create three more folders named "ASR", "JCV", and "SID".

3) Open the Nuvi 'drive' and browse to the ".System" folder which should be visible at the top of the list. If you don't see it, go back and double-check that step 1) was completed properly.

4) Copy ONLY the following five files from the ".System" folder in the Nuvi into the "Garmin" folder in the USB stick (UPDATED FILES IN GREEN):

gmap3d.img (07/01/2021)
gmapprom.img (07/01/2021)
gmapbmap.img (03/14/2011)
gmaptz.img (05/03/2021)
gmapdem.img (07/01/2021)

5) Browse to the ".System\ASR" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following four files into the "Garmin\ASR" folder on the USB stick:

06U3MARK.SRX (07/01/2021)
06U3MARL.ASR (07/01/2021)
06U3MARM.ASR (07/01/2021)
06U3MARN.ASR (07/01/2021)

6) Browse to the ".System\JCV" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following file into the "Garmin\JCV" folder on the USB stick:

D31913780A.JCV (07/01/2021)
Large JCV File D3060350A.JCV
*Note that this file name is ONLY for the 2022.20 map
**Note that there are three different versions of the JCV file, determined by size! The above listed is the MEDIUM sized one!

7) Browse to the ".System\SID" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following two files into the "Garmin\SID" folder on the USB stick:

D2656400A.SID (07/01/2021)
D3406360A.SID (07/01/2021)

When you are finished, the folder/file structure on the USB stick should look like this:

└───Garmin
. │ gmap3d.img
. │ gmapprom.img
. │ gmaptz.img
. │ gmapbmap.img
. │ gmapdem.img
. │
. ├───ASR
. │ 06U3MARK.SRX
. │ 06U3MARL.ASR
. │ 06U3MARM.ASR
. │ 06U3MARN.ASR
. │
. ├───JCV
. │ D3191380A.JCV
. │
. └───SID
. D2656400A.SID
. D3406360A.SID

Some folks may notice that this does not include the full set of update files that come with a Nuvi update, however, these are the only files that are required for the CTP13 and newer system. The other files will just be taking up unnecessary space.

Step 2: Unlocking the gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img files

Now that the update package is on the USB stick, there is still one more step before it can be uploaded to the car. This may be unnecessary, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

The CTP13+ systems do not require you to generate an unlock code, but two files, gmapprom.img & gmap3d.img should be manually unlocked before they go into the car.

The best program that I've used to unlock the maps can be found here:

Garmin Image Tools

Download this file to your computer and unzip into a folder on your desktop.

To unlock the two files, simply drag-and-drop them one at a time onto the "gimgunlock.exe" file using your file explorer. It will only take a couple of seconds to unlock both files. A command window will flash by, so fast you may miss it if you blink.

Step 3: Updating the CTP13 and newer map in the car

Now the update package is ready to go into the car.

It could very well be that the update is ready to go as it is, but I didn't use this exact method while I was getting my system going. I was trying to use the full nuvi update package, which I believe may have been too large. This smaller file set may install fine with no problems.

I'll post the method that I used after this post, but hopefully it won't be needed since it requires you to go through the update process multiple times.

1) Toggle the Start button to the ACC or RUN positions. The car engine needs not be running, but be aware that the car will turn itself off in the ACC or RUN positions after a period of time. It is critical that you don't allow the car to turn off after the update process begins. Either babysit it by periodically cycling the Start button to reset the timer (make sure the doors are closed when doing this) or just go for a drive while the map is being updated. The update can take more than an hour, so plan accordingly.

2) Go to the navigation screen and plug the update USB stick into the USB jack in the center console. The radio will recognize that an update disk has been inserted, and will begin validating the files on the USB stick. This may take some time.

If the validation process has an error, especially if a "0x31A0" pops up, then this all-at-once method will not work. Please go to the next post for further instructions.

If the validation process passes, a window will pop up and will ask you if you want to update to the newer map. Proceed through the onscreen prompts.

3) After this, the radio will reboot and begin copying the new files into the system. This will take a long time, so just let it finish.

Occasionally, the radio may lock up at the reboot stage. If it doesn't reboot after a minute or so, you must pull the radio fuse in the trunk. I have no idea why this happens, but nothing bad happens to the radio and you can simply repeat from step 1 again after plugging the fuse back in.

4) After the install process has reached 100%, the radio will again reboot. It may either tell you that the map update was successful or not, but if it got all the way to the end, the update was successful regardless of what it says.

5) Go into your settings and verify that the maps were updated to the latest version.

6) Enjoy!

Step 4: Fallback method for installing full update

This is the way that I updated my maps. It's more painful than the way I posted earlier, so I hope the previous method is good enough. I've spent so much time going through map updates that I just don't have the motivation to go back and do it again! Hopefully someone will chime in soon with a success story.

The problem is that the maps are getting too big. If there's not enough free space in the radio to fit the updated files, the validation process will fail.

There is a way to 'clean' out the radio of the older map files so that enough space is recovered for a full update.

Unfortunately, there's no way for us to plug a computer into the radio and make any changes, so we have to use the UConnect method.

When you install the new map, the old files are deleted during the process. If you do not have new files to replace them in the update USB stick, nothing gets copied in their place so the internal flash drive space is released.

I used a three-step process, but maybe steps 2 and 3 can be combined into one single step.

Step 1:

1) On the USB stick, create another folder in the root named "Disabled".
2) Move all of the Garmin subfolders (ASR, JCV, & SID) into the "Disabled" folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update. It will be faster, since fewer files are installed.

When this is done, you will have only updated the three files in the Garmin folder, gmapprom.img, gmap3d.img, and gmaptz.img. This will give you updated detailed maps, 3D landmarks, and time zones.

Step 2:

1) On the USB stick, move gmap3d.img & gmaptz.img from the Garmin folder into the Disabled folder. Leave gmapprom.img in the Garmin folder, otherwise you will get a "NO FILES FOUND" error
2) Move the JCV folder from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update again.

When this is done, the Junction View is now installed, and the 3D landmarks and time zones are still there.

Step 3:

1) On the USB stick, move the ASR & SID folders from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder. Leave gmapprom.img and the JCV folder in the Garmin folder.
2) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update once again.

After this is completed, the system is fully updated to the new maps and all features work except for the phone number lookup.

As I mentioned, steps 2 & 3 may possibly be done in one step after cleaning out the old files in step 1.
Can you tell me if a Nuvi 760 or 765 is a compatiable?

#4 ·
CTP14 has additional security to make it more difficult to manually install maps. You can either downgrade your system to CTP13, or add gmapprom.gma, gmapprom.unl, gmap3d.gma, and gmap3d.unl to your upgrade USB stick, along with all of the other files.

CTP15 is even more secure, so that trick will not work anymore.

I recommend downgrading to CTP13 before installing a map update.

#12 ·
Tanbam
Merry Christmas and Happy NY.

So my dealer updated me to CTP14 and I am looking to update. I see your quote below. One question...Just so I understand completely...

Pull these files from my Nuvi and place these in the appropriate folders?

#7 ·
On, but slightly off topic... when I go to the Garmin website, they have some voices and vehicles for download. Anyone have any idea if we can get those to work in our cars? I tried putting them in the Garmin folder on a USB drive and I got an "error on reflashing" message. I would really like to have Darth Vader be the voice of my car.

#9 ·
You can download his voice for Garmin Nuvi products. Doesn't seem to work for the car though. I loaded the Garmin/Voice folder with a couple of the free voices to see if it would work, but... error :( Maybe some of our more experienced / smarter members will have some ideas.

I suspect that it's not possible since our voice does more than just the directions, but... maybe?

#10 ·
Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to easily add voices or vehicles like you can on a nüvi. I've spent some time trying to figure it out, including an attempt to open the radio up and soldering wires to the Garmin module test points in order to try to gain direct write access to the flash memory, but I wasn't successful.

There are still some things I want to try out, but I'll probably wait for the next map update before attempting them.

#13 ·
You could either downgrade back to CTP13, or add the following files from the nüvi:

Gmapprom.gma
Gmapprom.unl
Gmap3d.gma
Gmap3d.unl

This is only good for CTP14 firmware, which checks to see if those files are present befor allowing the update to begin. These files are related to the map unlocking process, but they'll be keyed to the doner nüvi. You'll still need to manually unlock your map.

For CTP15 firmware, those four files must be present AND be keyed to the actual radio, not the nüvi. There's no way currently available to do this, so you cannot update the maps with files from a nüvi if you're running that firmware.

All CTP13+ radios can run the same firmware, so if you've got CTP15 firmware, you can simply downgrade to one that allows updates. I run CTP15 firmware, but when the new maps come out, I downgrade to CTP13, install the maps, then go back to CTP15.

#15 ·
OK, Loaded all the files above as well as all previously required on a USB that I have used many times before.
Unlocked GMAPPROM.IMG with GiMGUNLOCK and also tried a non-unlocked file and I get Update not correct see your dealer message.

I would rather not roll back to CTP13 if not needed, any other suggestions?

#14 ·
Thanks as always.
Luckily I am only at CTP14 so I will add the files and run the unlock program on them.
Hope you have a great holiday.

#16 ·
Admittedly, I've never tried to update my maps with firmware higher than CTP13 because I don't want to add the extra files, so I'm just going off of other people's recounts.

It only takes a few minutes to revert to CTP13 firmware, and only a few minutes to go back to CTP14/15. Considering how long it takes to install the map updates, it only adds a little more time to the process.

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks, I did the roll back to CTP13, easy... Updated to 2015.30 went well, I think I will just leave it at CTP13 unless anyone knows a reason not too?

#19 ·
Thanks guys. I'll do a search and find the CTP13 firmware.
So any benefit over CTP14 and CTP15? The Dealership only brought me up to CTP14.

#21 ·
I've used all three firmware versions, and have not seen any appreciable difference besides the security features. I thought CTP15 seemed faster, but it may just be a placebo.

I'm still on CTP13 after the last map update, since I haven't gotten around to upgrade it back. I can't tell the difference...

#22 ·
I have to agree, no difference in CTP14 that I saw accept I can no longer access the Data with the hidden button on the right side of the nav screen for system data. I think I will stay at CTP13 too.

#24 ·
On my nuvi, the file gmapdem.img was named D2248000B.img. I copied this over to the USB stick and renamed as below.

<snip>

4) Copy ONLY the following five files from the ".System" folder in the Nuvi into the "Garmin" folder in the USB stick:

gmap3d.img
gmapprom.img
gmapbmap.img
gmaptz.img
gmapdem.img <-----

<snip>

#25 ·
Does the car need to be running when doing this update? I have tried it twice now an both times I had the car in accessory mode. Both times the car shut down while the update was taking place.

The manual says that the car will turn off after 30 minutes of no activity in accessory mode, but both times it went over an hour before shutting off. When I restarted the car it told me that the updates were successful, but then I received a message that there are no detailed maps loaded. When I click on the map screen, it is blank and only the car appears.

How can I keep the car awake long enough to complete the full maps update? Do I have to leave the car running for the full time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

#27 ·
I got it to work without running the vehicle. I put the vehicle in accessory mode and started the update. Every 25 minutes, I came back out, got in the vehicle, shut the door and then cycled from ACC to RUN to OFF and back to ACC. This reset the timer.

One other note - I originally was getting an error when trying to start the update (after the validation was completed). It ended up being my thumb drive. The radio wouldn't recognize a 32GB drive. I switched to a smaller drive and it worked great.

My maps are now updated.

Thanks for the great thread.

#28 · (Edited)
If you had read the instructions fully up in the first post, you would have noticed this:

This is pretty much how I do it myself!

The original updates we posted has less files and would usually finish quicker. I finally tried this last update with the additional files, and it took a little longer! I did it while on a drive!

The radio "should" recognize a 32GB drive, as long as you have it formatted in FAT32 and not NTFS!

I just checked mine though, and I have a 16GB USB 3.0, although the USB 3.0 won't make a difference in the car, as I assume it is USB 2.0

#223 ·
I have all the files but gmapdem.img. Can't seem to find it no matter how many times I update my GPS. Anyone have a link to a copy for 2015.30?

I just updated to 2017.20. I didn't use that file either. You don't necessarily need it. The DEM.img is just digital elevation data. As long as your USB drive cooperates then the update will work.

For the record, I also added the SQLite folder with the corresponding .db file all within the Garmin folder. This is the traffic trends database. I did the install all in one shot. The only file that I did not use, is the dem.img file.

#33 ·
I have not tested it, but curious of that myself!

They use different systems, as it is the NEWER UConnect in the RAM, which is now used in the 2015 Charger!

#34 ·
Im happy to try...just concerned about bricking my new truck though..:) Any chance of that? My issue is Im importing the truck out of the USA and bringing it to New Zealand so I need to change the maps. Would the Uconnect read a SD card or USB Flash Drive if I put one in it with a Garmin folder and the New Zealand map image inside just like the NUVI's read the external SD cards?

#35 ·
To do the update, you have to use a DVD or a flash drive! It won't look at the SD Card! IIRC, the newer ones don't have an optical drive, so you may only have the choice of using a flash drive!