Charger Forums banner

new 22s

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  djalbin 
#1 ·
Hey got new 22 inch rims gloss black, i went from stock with Michelin tires to 22s and Dunlop tires. I hear a noise difference because with my music off before, it was quite. Now its like a wooing sound and when i get to 55mph the steering wheel shakes. What should i do?

#2 ·
Sounds like the first thing you need is a good road force balancing and make sure they have properly torqued the lug nuts.

Beyond that, some tires are just noisier than others so the only remedy for the sound might be to replace them if proper balancing and lug torque doesn't resolve the issue.

#4 · (Edited)
22's

Your steering wheel should not shake with 22's. I have 22" wheels with 265/35ZR22 tires and they run smooth and straight at any speed. Ensure your wheels are correctly balanced and the car has a proper 4-wheel alignment.
You will get more road noise with the thinner sidewalls but the 35 aspect ratio on my tires does not make excessive noise. I run with 36 PSI air pressure in my tires. This air pressure seems to work well with my Goodyear Eagle GT tires. I also installed a strut-tower brace to stiffen the front-end and this improved the handling (steering/braking) with the 22's.

#5 ·
Could be one of quite a few issues. First and simplest is to check to see if all the lug nuts are tight. But generally your problem sounds like a balancing or alignment issue. A good shop will usually suggest an alignment when you change wheel sizes. Could also be a bad tire, even though they're new. You never know.... Worse case scenario it could be a poorly manufactured wheel. As far as noise goes, every car I've owned that had Dunlops, has been louder than other tires.

#7 ·
So got it doubled checked on the balancing and i literally saw them do it (i wouldnt know if they would do it wrong anyways) but now at 70 mph the steering wheel shakes not crazy but i do notice it obviously

Also a friend told me that if i let my steering wheel go on a straight road with my steering wheel straight the car should go straight the whole time or at least for a while.
Well i brought that up because it doesnt about as sson as i let go it starts going to the right, also to keep it going straight my steering wheel is at a 2 degree angle to tee he left

Any thoughts?

#10 ·
Looking at the alignment numbers is best. Many road surfaces are cambered to the right shoulder for water runoff. Car will drift to the right on these road surfaces when you let go of the steering wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.