Charger Forums banner

Muffler or Reso delete? What to do?

5K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  NoHemi 
#1 ·
I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new exhaust system, but would like a meaner sound from the car without the drone. I've read all the posts and it seems that the Brylcreem mod has less drone than going with straight pipes and reso delete (or reso delete and BB kits). But, I am concerned about the rattling I've been hearing about if you do the Brylcreem mod. Anyone want to chime in with an opinion? I have an 07 R/T (but not with the R/T package. It sounds like from what I have been reading, that my suitcase is not free flowing like the R/T package Chargers...is that right? If so, sounds like the Brylcreem is the way to go...just have to watch for this rattle problem. Anyone know where the rattle comes from? Is it just the muffler shop not doing a good job of securing the pipes?

#2 ·
I just had my suitcase(muffler) removed last week. This has been one of the best things I have done. Sound is great, It just feels like a different car. Just my 2 cents.

#4 ·
I Brylcreemed the 3rd day I had my car some 13,000 miles ago. It sounds great considering it cost $70.

The only thing I wanted was a deeper sound and it gave me just that. I have no idea if it gave me "performance" gains...nor do I really care. If I wanted a significantly faster car I would have just bought one! :)

No rattle here after 13K...there was a bunch of posts about it a few months ago, but they seem to have died down unless I keep missing them...perhaps some people were affected, but I'm not at this point.

Remember...one dissatisfied person makes infinitely more noise then a satisfied one. Don't let a few anecdotal "horror" stories scare you off. I bet dollars to donuts there are MANY more happy 'creemers then unhappy ones.

Even if you get this "rattle"...you lost under $100...do something else then...

If you pay $100 and change at 10K to something else, you paid 1 Penny per mile...not bad.. :)

#6 ·
Brylcreem is an old brand for... shaving creem or something random. and their slogan was "a dab will do ya". meaning that the brylcreem mod is cutting out your suitcase muffler(the big one under the center of your car) and replacing it with straight pipe. this is basically making 4 cuts with a sawzall. and bending 2 pipes a tiny bit. and making 4 welds. its maybe 30 mins of work at a muffler shop and will cost you from 50-100 bucks depending on how much hunting for a good price you do. i wouldnt pay over 85. hence the name Brylcreem since it takes virtually nothing to achieve a great sound.

removing the resos which are the mufflers that your tips are attatched to, which is also called the Tuna Boat mod can be more or even less expensive depending on your tase(really it ought to be more because....) you cut the resonators off... add either a lil pipe and some tips,or just pipe to the end(uggggllllyyyyy...). depending on the tips(3-4") will run you 150 bucks... i dont think much more, depending on look and diameter and brand.

the tuna boat mod is FAR FAR FAR more aggressive sounding and MUCH louder. however it causes the dreaded "drone" around 2200-2500 rpms. which can cause a headache to anyone over the age of 25 in seconds, being that htis is average cruising rpm on highways.

the creem will not be as loud, but will be an amazing improvment over stock sound. and will have NO drone. the Resonators are SPECIFICALLY engineered for this car to prevent the drone that is created by our cars when MDS kicks on. this effectively turns our car from a v8 to a v4, which changes the exhaust note from a muscle.. to a ricer... the resos take away that terrible drone created by the 4 cylinder tone of exhaus due to the fact that the exhaust on our cars is designed for an v8, not a v4. thus the need for the resos.

all of these pieces are very heavy and weight down the care, so removing either piece will help in that regard, and aftermarket exhaust weighs a lot less as well.

depending on your tolerance or if u even car.. about resonating your brain out of your ears should really determine which you want...

i advise searching you tube for chargers and brylcreem etc for sound clips as well....

hope im not too long winded :)

#7 ·
i love my creem. ive not yet to experience the rattle and ive had it for ... o idk... at least 4k miles i think. prolly more.

supposedly heat from exhaust can mess uip the resos without the muffler in between.

i HIGHLY advise the creem mod until you catch the virus and start need more mods ;)

#12 ·
Brylcreem was a hair gel "a little dollop will do ya." You remember, Pistol Pete Maravich used to be on all of their ads. Yeah, he played for the New Orleans Jazz. I guess I'll shut up and go explain those black plastic things that play music to my kids. :knockout:

#10 ·
The rattle is from the exhaust hanging some and hitting the small cross member you have under the exhaust. Once you loosten the oem clamps and put them back on, they dont hold as good and start to droop.

Take your lower crossmember off and put some washers on it so that it can sit lower. This will help some, or you can just remove it all together.

That piece is there for those who make 1000000 HP and snap the drive shaft. This will hold it so it does not fall on the floor. Its not to stiffen the frame.

#11 ·
makes total sense.

when i had mine done, i stood out in the garage while they cut the suitcase out and welded the pipes in. they didnt loosen anything at all.

it sounds greatto me and i dont regret the 85 $ i spent one single bit. for a first mod, or even the only mod, this is one of the cheapest "bang for your bucks"things to do.

i HIGHLY advise the creem :))))) gl guys

#13 ·
its dab dude.

#15 ·
vids of the sound or... of what it looks like installed?? let me try to dig some up....

#16 ·
the official sound/exhaust thread from lxforums.com... one of the best resourrces if you ask me:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=46454

i dont have sound on my comp at work at the moment.. so... i cant garuntee anything on waht im about to give you hahahaha..:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kcH5m9zz4xY

*interjection*
i found this.. hope its as funny as with sound as it is without for me...a brylcreem advertisement******
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jRcRIbExrfg&mode=related&search=
****back to our regularly scheduled programming***

*********"tuna boat" with no resos clips:***********
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iqBvsysL-jE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Cfb4Rd1S2w <---inside car, same guy

*****straight piped back****
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AllflRxgvWo

thats all i could find off the bat while at work... hope it helps

#18 ·
I notice that in many of the forums the recomendation is to go Brylcreem over Tuna Boat sisnce the Tuna gives a cabin Drone once the MDS kiks in. What about on an SRT where there is no MDS? Anyone know how this would effect the SRT?

#19 ·
it doesnt :) all exhaust systems will have a certain "drone" to them. but the mds drone is what people talk about when they speak of head splitting. the srt will just be a stereo typical loud exhaust note that should be no big deal whatsoever unless your an old fogey who wants a quiet exhaust :p

haha

#20 ·
i think i got all 5.7's too. my bad didnt even catch your an srt8. but all i did was goto youtube.com and search for "charger exhaust" you can get more specific too. but the first link i gave to lxforums is prolly the best, cuz a lot of the clips are hosted by the drivers themselves on their own host sites.

#22 ·
I cant do you tube at work so I'll have to wait til lI get home to check it out. I'm pretty fixed on the Brylcreem I think? and latter change the Resos for zoomers. Start with the Brylcreem though.

#23 ·
I cut the reso's off my baby, sounds JUST PERFECT, for my tastes. The bad part is everyone has a different opinion of what sounds good. My advice, find as many sound clips that you can before you do anything and make your own judgment based on that.

Here is 2 clips of mine the day I had it done, one outside, one inside. I had a bit of drone in the beginning, but my wife agrees that it has toned down quite a bit on the inside over the last 4,000 miles or so since I had it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBvsysL-jE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cfb4Rd1S2w

#24 ·
wife test passed! nice.

sadly video cameras really never do the exhaust justice, but it gives you a good idea of what to expect. watch as many as u can find hehe

#25 ·
I'm not going to create another topic for this, but as a non sequitur I find it humorous that I can't viit the Zoomers website from work because of the URL (zoomersexhaust.com)...

#26 ·
another blycream vote here

#28 ·
Alright.. After following this thread and lots of other searches Ive decided I'm going to do the Brylcreem mod tomorrow! but with a twist.... Going to get "y" pipe extentions on the straight pipes to add cutouts. Will cap for now untill I find a good set of e-cutouts.

I'll post pics / vids and let you all know what this ran me to do as soon as I can.

#31 ·
Looking forward to seeing the pics of your mods...I'm getting ready to do the Brylcreem mod myself.

#30 ·
those components are after the cats (and the 2nd set of O2 sensors) so from an emission POV, you should be fine. However, California also has a "visual inspection" rule. Some shops will let it go and some will not. I got hit with a "visual inspection" failure on a '94 Corvette I had bought in 2002 that didnt have mufflers. I later took it to another shop that didnt care as long as the pre-cats components havent been modifed. He checked the box on the computer as "OEM exhaust unmodified". YMMV..

#32 ·
Well Its at the shop getting the Brylcreem later today. They wont do the Cut outs like I want as this is the same area as the "plastic" gas tank and they wont do a mod that will put hot exhaust gases escaping in this area. With a modified Heat shield they said they might consider but for now I'm just going with the nomal brylcreem and add the cutouts at a later date.

Already got the befor photos and I'll grab the afters when I pick up.

For everyones interest they are charging me $65 a side here in Edmonton Alberta Canada ($130 CAD total)

#33 ·
Although you have the 6.1, I'd still be interested in how you rate the resulting sound of the mod. I've been going back and forth on the Brylcreem or Reso delete mod, and it seems that the general consensus is that there is drone with the reso delete, plus the Brylcreem helps me (a 5.7 R/T configuration) out quite a bit since my stock muffler has some restriction in it. I guess the R/T "package" is a free flow muffler, but mine isn't. So my plan is to do the Brylcreem, and then later possibly do Blastin Bob Magnaflow muffler kit...but I'm hopin that the Brylcreem is all that I'll have to do to get the sound I want...which is a nice deep growl at lower RPM's. I'm not overly concerned about WOT sound as I don't spend much time there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.