Charger Forums banner

swap out my uconnect for a uconnect 8.4A in a 2013 charger?

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tanbam 
#1 ·
dose anyone know if I could swap out my uconnect for a uconnect 8.4A in a 2013 charger?

#2 ·
I haven't seen it done before, so not sure if it would work!

The UConnect 8.4A is used on the 2015+ Chargers!

#5 ·
Yes, you can swap it out. You'll need to get an 8.4 or 8.4N radio from a 2011 - 2014 Charger, 300, or Journey (newer is better due to software hardware improvements), a new bezel surround for the larger screen, and a new climate control panel that has the SD card slot = though the old one will still fit but you won't have SD card access.

If you get a 2012 or newer radio, you will need to get an unlock code from a dealership's parts department before you install it. Just bring the radio and receipt to the parts department and ask for the code. Some dealerships ask for the donor car's VIN, but it's not necessary. All that is needed to generate the new unlock code is the new radio's serial number and your current car's VIN.

After you have the new parts and the unlock code, just swap out the old parts for the new, and you'll have the 8.4 system working.

#7 ·
My bad. Didn't read the original question well enough.

DaGreenMile is right, the 8.4A/AN units are for the '15+ models.

That being said, it's likely that an 8.4A/AN could be made to work in a '11-'14 vehicle, but it would take a bit of work to change the harness over and it would also likely require some kind of jig to translate any modified commands on the CAN line.

I wouldn't say that it's impossible, you could make the 8.4A/AN fit, but it wouldn't be a trivial project.

It's a lot easier to just put an 8.4 or 8.4N in there, if you just want the larger screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.