Charger Forums banner

Oil overheated, engine rattling but still cranks and starts.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Ddaddy 
#1 ·
I guess i can say i f***ed up big times here.
First of all, good job with the forums everyone. I introduced my friends at the base to the forums, they all found it useful, so did Ii. Too bad i barely get any time for my own or else i would've been more active. Also, sorry for being way too detailed.
A while ago, when i was on duty, my charger was with a friend of mine, later on he crashed. When i got the car back, while fixing the mess he made in an attempt to make it right, i decided that i should also open one of the heads i've been having a problem with (been getting a P0307 and the car was also burning oil due to using the same head gasket twice; wanted to see what would happen if i used the same gasket, im such a dork :alfdance:)
Yesterday, i got done with the head, did everything right this time, the car was working well, i even tried it out yesterday and it worked perfectly fine, except for it stalling every now and then at idle (which lead me to think that the previous owner had a cam installed but not tuned.) Anyways, today's morning, while on my way to get an oil change, everything was normal, drove for around 30 mins, the coolant temp was in range, so was the oil temp, then suddenly, the car blew some blue smoke from the exhaust (i guess the oil got hot by then), drove for more till it happened again, but this time it was way too much, so i stopped the car immediately. The oil temp was around 293 F, smoke kept coming out of the intake manifold, and from the back of the car. tried starting the car but no luck, cranking slow as hell, so i decided to give it a shot and leave it to rest for a bit. The upper radiator hose was off as well (I don't know how because i checked it when i first got out of home). After a while i tried starting it, the coolant temp was normal, so was the oil at that point, the car cranked, started for a bit, rattled then stalled. Tried starting it again, all i heard was a click. Later on, while waiting for the tow truck, I started the car, and it worked for a few secs, heard the rattling but then it stalled again. The rattling sounded like if you had a metal can, shaking with two nails in it. The codes i got were P0300 (Random misfire), and the codes i had from before (P0032 and P0058).
What might have happened? Could it be the heads only? I don't think its the crankshaft or the pistons since it worked again.
My apologies again for the overly detailed description, Thanks for the help! :beerchug:

See less See more
#3 ·
Update: Decided to start taking the heads apart; started with the left side head, but got lazy when it came to unbolting it from the exhaust manifold :D. So I unbolted everything else, but the top of the head was dry, half of it was yellow, i even noticed an inch long metal scratches near by the valve springs. Also, on cylinder #1 , unlike the rest, one of the spark plugs were totally bent (no gap), which i found weird.
Anyone?

#4 ·
What year Charger and which engine? How many miles?

You know all of the details but we don't. You just aren't providing enough information to get help.

It's like you're singing while wearing headphones...but you are the only one that can hear the music.

Think about it like you are trying to describe what you are seeing to a blind man.

Oh yeah, and pictures are worth a thousand words to help explain to us what's going on.

#6 ·
My bad man, i forgot to mention them. Its a 2006 Dodge charger RT, Hemi 5.7

the first two sparkplug from the left was in the first cylinder, so was the last one. The one in the middle is a random sparkplug i pulled, they all look healthy to me except for the first one :(

#7 ·
Well, if i dropped a valve i would have noticed it missing from the valve springs, but thankfully nothing is missing. However, you might be right somehow, as i noticed that most of the valves were slightly open (theyre supposed to be closed i suppose but they were just a bit open), rather bent. so im guessing i bent all of my valves, going to take both heads apart today if the weather outside got better, the question is what could've happened?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.