Charger Forums banner

Locked my keys in the car :( how do I open it?

91K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  hskr 
#1 ·
Only have one key and I just manage to lock it in my car (the -07 R/T), good thing it is in my driveway.

Before I start digging with a coat hanger, is it possible to open it the old fashion way or will I be wasting my time.

If there are any special tricks please PM me if you don't want to write it in a public forum.

#2 ·
I would call a locksmith and eat the charge so you dont damage anything. Then get a non keyfob key from online and get it cut but not programmed so it will only open your doors. Ill send you one idea but it is a last resort.

#3 ·
The thing is that I am located in Sweden where the charger was never sold so the locksmith will probably screw it up as much as I would.

I have been meaning to get an extra key but didn't get around to it so this is the punishment and a lesson to be learned

#5 ·
Just went out to start violating the poor car and before starting I felt the rear door handle and the door opened :)
I have been cleaning the car today and I thought I had pressed the central door lock button but obviously I had just pressed the buttons on the front doors!

A spare key is now being ordered!

#12 ·
This happened to me during a M & G 2 years ago. We were at a scenic stop off the Kancamagus highway. My wife accidentally dropped the keys in the trunk and didn't realize it then shut it. Of course the car was locked. Fortunately one of the members had a wire coat hanger in his car. 2 of us pried & held the top of the drivers door open just enough to get the hanger in. Amazingly he was able to grab the lock rod with the hangers because of the little grooves at the top. If it'd been smooth I don't know if we would have gotten in.
I can say for sure, our Chargers DO NOT LIKE being broken into :)

AFPVet, I'm pretty sure OnStar is GM only.

#24 ·
Don't have a Charger yet... still trying to decide. But i was told if you locked the car with the Fob inside that the horn would beep and the doors UNlock automatically. same thing for the trunk, if you lock the keys in the trunk, the trunk UNlocks itself.
so is this not true? or since the rear doors were not locked it didn't trigger the UNlock operation? somebody want to try it and let me know?
thanks...

#26 ·
That's only for the '11's. Unless your battery is dead, you can't lock your keys in the car.

#27 ·
I came out of a bar one 2am morning drunk as a skunk. When I saw that I locked my keys in the car, I got so angry that I exploded in a drunken rage. Slurring profanities at the top of my lungs, I kicked the door in and elbowed a huge dent into the roof and then I flung my half full beer bottle threw the window.

Although I managed to get my door open, I wouldn't recommend this method.

#32 ·
Haven't climbed in my truck to try that, but don't think it would.

And I had to help a friend "break in" to his '06 Police Charger. he locked his keys in it. We pryed the door frame back enough that i was able to get a coat hanger in and with a loop in the end, I hooked it around the inside door handle and was able to pull it enough to open the door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.