Charger Forums banner

Dodge quarter panels rusting issues?

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MikesDodge 
#1 ·
:serious: Through reading and research, the Dodge Challenger appears to have issues with it's rear quarter panels rusting badly over a short period of time. Do the Dodge Chargers have a similar issue?

#2 · (Edited)
My '06 Charger SRT-8 has no rust on it at all. It is nearly 11 years old, has 120k miles on it and has been driven 24/7 in all weather including the heavy Winter salt here in the northeast. IDK what the Challenger issue is that you are talking about, but my Charger has no issues with rust.

Recent pic...

Attachments

#3 ·
Interesting. I did a quick search and it seems that there is a rust issue, but it's caused by some sort of cloth-based sound proofing that is stuffed in there. The material wicks up moisture, and of course dirty water and metal make rust.

I will be checking mine to see if it has any sort of water sucking sound proofing sometime in the next couple of weeks. If I find anything that I think will promote rust I'll post it up. I was planning on doing this anyway, only my intent was to spray in this rustproofing stuff that is supposed to drive off rodents as I've already found a mouse nest under my engine cover. I guess it's a good thing I used the dealer to change the oil rather than doing it myself, because if I wasn't cleaning oil off the engine cover due to a sloppy change I wouldn't have found it.

#7 · (Edited)
I am far from an expert on this but my reading indicated that the Challenger manufacturing process has not changed since the first models (2008?): Dodge has not acknowledged this as an issue from what I can tell. If you want more details, I would suggest the Challenger forum as they have long lists you can read through...

As for the Chargers, I do not know if they have this same symptom. This is part of my continued research on which model to buy, Charger or Challenger. Depending on my findings will determine which one I purchase in the near future. :smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.