Charger Forums banner

Limited slip on 2011 R/T Road & Track?

9K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  djalbin 
#1 ·
I work for an FCA dealer and had them print up the VIP (the vin specific features in detail) and I can't see where it says anti-spin or any kind of positive traction for the car. Can anyone confirm whether or not these cars had a limited slip differential?

#3 ·
Mine does not but I also have AWD. Computer controls most things. When things start to slip the AWD kicks in. Auto-Stick - AWD kicks on. Wipers on - AWD on. 0 degrees F or below - AWD on. Turn off ESC and AWD kicks on. Bright sunny day - rear wheel drive but no limited slip differential - AWD kicks on if you umm....create too much torque.

#5 ·
I WISH my AWD had limited slip. Sure the individual wheel braking trick works when your ABS works but if you ever lose a wheel speed sensor good luck getting through the snow and ice then. Not only that but when I do "The Key Trick" sure I can do burnouts but only with one rear tire which is weak. :crying:

#4 ·
PM me the vin and I will double check it for you and verify or send the the VIP or VIR. ;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#6 ·
Limited slip on 2011 R/T Road & Track?
No. 2011 R/T Road & Track has a open differential. The rear axle ratio (3.06) is different for the Road & track option but the differential is still an open diff rather than LSD.

#8 ·
No idea how Dodge does limited slip, but Government Motors does what is called the G80 option. It's the weakest limited slip you ever heard of, MIGHT be good enough to get you going on the ice. When it grenades, and I do mean WHEN and not IF, it will send a shock wave up the drive shaft. If you have a 4L60E transmission, it breaks the sun shell. So, you get your rear fixed, and you still got no go.

The point behind the meandering story is, you may be better off getting a factory peg leg and putting in your own limited slip. A lifetime Dodge boy will have to speak as to Dodge's factory limited slip durability.

#9 ·
Government Motors does what is called the G80 option.
My understanding of the G80 is that it's a locking differential rather than a limited-slip differential (LSD). The G80 operates as an "open," or unlocked differential until wheelspin is encountered and then it locks up.
Limited slip differentials are a compromise between a standard (open) differential and a locking differential because they do direct some amount of torque to the wheel with the most traction, but they are not capable of 100% lockup.
The Dodge Charger LSD (used in the SRT) is a clutch-type limited-slip unit. It has a clutch pack in the differential.

#10 · (Edited)
G80 on trucks was a locker but they also used the G80 regular production option (RPO) code when referring to cars and in that case, it was a clutch type. The truck G80 gets a bad rap mainly because people do not understand how it works and they abuse it in ways it was not intended to be used. When one wheel starts to spin about 100-200 rpm more than the other you just hold the throttle steady and you will feel the locker engage and lock both rear wheels together. If you mash the throttle with lots of wheelspin then obviously when the locker engages it will be harder on the unit and with constant mudding and big tires it will eventually go. But on the street and light offroading understanding how to use it, its the best traction rear end you can order in a truck.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#17 ·
A good description of how it operates, but it is not that strong. Even people who have treated it nice have them break. I even had mine split open during a time when I was taking it very easy with my truck because the trans was going out. What broke it was hitting a patch of ice while gently accelerating up an interstate on ramp. The G80 shattered and one of the bits got in between the pinion and ring, splitting the ring. It was a good thing I wasn't into it hard or it would have been a new transmission too. Incidentally, I replaced the G80 with an Eaton locker and now have a 4L80E in place of the 4L60E.

I'd still be interested in finding out how well Dodge factory LSD units work.

#13 ·
You have the open differential but as "sal jc" stated ... it's the Electronic Stability Control (ESC). The vehicle uses an electronic brake control system designated MK25e. This system includes ABS (Antilock Brake System), TCS (Traction Control System), BAS (Brake Assist System), EVBP (Electronic Variable Brake Proportioning) and ESC (Electronic Stability Control). All of these systems work together and commonly referred to as ESC.

The traction control system (TCS) is an all-speed traction control. All-Speed Traction Control prevents wheel slip when accelerating on slippery surfaces.
It also provides directional stability control. Using the wheel-speed sensors, it can detect excessive yaw to help keep the car on course (e.g. accelerating around a curve). With rear-wheel drive, All-Speed Traction Control is effective up to 85 mph and with AWD, All-Speed Traction Control is effective up to 45 mph.

Experiment with ESC full On, partially Off, and full Off to see which settings give you the two black tire marks versus only one black tire mark.

#16 ·
lol ^ This to be more specific

Slidd it definitely doesn't have the getrag and djalbin that is enough to make my head spin. Not sure how it did the two marks then. I guess i am just use to old school where you either had a peg leg that only gave you one mark or a ls that gave you two.
As for the 2 marks in the pic it was in sport mode with the esc off.
Yeah even with the open dif The computer can simulate a locking rear to an extent..

#15 ·
Slidd it definitely doesn't have the getrag and djalbin that is enough to make my head spin. Not sure how it did the two marks then. I guess i am just use to old school where you either had a peg leg that only gave you one mark or a ls that gave you two.
As for the 2 marks in the pic it was in sport mode with the esc off.

#18 ·
even with the open dif The computer can simulate a locking rear to an extent..
The ESC (TCS) action on the brakes is basically the reverse of ABS.
ABS releases the brake when a wheel locks up under braking. This allows the wheel to turn a little. Then ABS applies the brake again. ABS keeps releasing/braking rapidly to keep the tire from locking up.
Traction control applies the brake to the wheel that is spinning (slipping) too much and then releases the brake when the wheels are spinning the same again. TCS keeps braking/releasing back-n-forth between the two wheels to keep them spinning the same (so you get two black marks).
Traction control is most effective when accelerating from a stopped or slowed position.

If you don't have the Super Track Pak option on your car you may not be able to turn ESC/TCS completely off. STP has the three mode ESC. The two mode ESC is On/Off ... except that Off is not 100% Off - it's just reduced. The three mode ESC is On, reduced Off and completely Off.

Reactions: toplscuda
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.