Charger Forums banner

Camaro a go...

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  JasonB 
#1 ·
#7 ·
06chargerdude said:
yeah but by 2009 30 mpg wont be that big of a deal. toyota is supposed to be bringing out a 100 mpg hybrid by then. (i read that on msn.com) although 30 mpg is a good effort by a US automaker..........
Hybrid tech is a dead end. Its expensive and does not meet the MPG promised today. They would have to advance a long way in a short time for that to be true. The 100mpg you mentioned is never going to happen with a gas/electric hybrid. Ethanol hold much more promise.

BTW, I think the camaro will suprise you at how competetive it is with even smaller cars as far as MPg. Even the v6 should be at or above 300 hp and pull good fuel numbers.

#8 ·
cjsCharger said:
It better be better quality than everything else GM is making right now. Their cars are pure crap.

Not true, the new trucks/suv's are world class. The cars are a diffrent story though. I will say that the caddys are very good but almost everything else needs work................that is except the Buic Lucerne. Thats a damn good car and even had more room and comfort then our Chargers or 300c brothers.

#9 ·
I have been doing a happy dance all day:clap: :clap:

In the intrest of clarity........I got my Charger as stopgap measure waiting for the Camaro........I think I will run out of garage space sometime in 2009........

.......is it getting warm in here?:devil:

#10 ·
cjsCharger said:
It better be better quality than everything else GM is making right now. Their cars are pure crap.
I have the 07 Tahoe and its my pride and joy. Its a great vehicle. No complaints on it yet. I wouldnt say ALL their vehicles are crap.

So how does the two measure up? The Challenger and the Camaro. Input you guys/gals?

#19 ·
falchulk said:
Hybrid tech is a dead end. Its expensive and does not meet the MPG promised today. They would have to advance a long way in a short time for that to be true. The 100mpg you mentioned is never going to happen with a gas/electric hybrid. Ethanol hold much more promise.
I was mentioning just this to a co-worker yesterday. He was lauding how nice the hybrids were, and I said Ethanol is going to bowl down the hybrids as soon as more E85 gets to the pumps.

I'd be all over E85-only vehicles, gimme that higher compression ratio for better MPG, more power, and cheaper fuel... for only a small fraction of the cost of making a car a hybrid. A few hundred bucks vs. 3k-6k+ more.

Of course, you could make a hybrid vehicle that runs E85-only, that would be the best of both worlds.

#20 ·
falchulk said:
Not true, the new trucks/suv's are world class. The cars are a diffrent story though. I will say that the caddys are very good but almost everything else needs work................that is except the Buic Lucerne. Thats a damn good car and even had more room and comfort then our Chargers or 300c brothers.
You notice I said "cars". I'm actually considering a Chevy quad cab truck, and I own a Yukon, but I drive their cars as rentals at work alot, and they suck bad.

#21 ·
It was Joe Dirt's rival (played by Kid Rock) who drove the Trans Am, I think.
'79 if I remember.

#22 ·
So GM is effectively spotting the Challenger a one-year headstart, AND allowing the newly redesigned mustangs a year headstart as well. (2008 is the year stangs will be redesigned again, presumably to look even more like the fastbacks, adding more HP, and rumors of bringing back the 5.0.)

I do like the new Camaro, but man, are they really trying to compete... Really?

#23 ·
Charger-Steve said:
So GM is effectively spotting the Challenger a one-year headstart, AND allowing the newly redesigned mustangs a year headstart as well. (2008 is the year stangs will be redesigned again, presumably to look even more like the fastbacks, adding more HP, and rumors of bringing back the 5.0.)

I do like the new Camaro, but man, are they really trying to compete... Really?

I can't wait until the Mustang design gets to the point of emulating the Charlie's Angels vintage models. Mustang IIs rule!

I don't care if they show up late, as long as they do it right. The Mustang had already sold enough cars to cover the entire surface area of some small countries by the time the Camaro showed up. And while it did have its quirks, it was nonetheless generally sound of engineering and not the deathtrap that was the Mustang (and eventually the Pinto).

Edit: besides, Barracudas were around before the Camaro. So it's happened before. I think the only one to show up late to the small car party was AMC, Camaro (and Firebird) were second last.

#25 ·
If the firebird is a go, then, who knows......... I know I would probalby try to get my ass in one, I love those cars... but only if its actually DECENT, I really loath the concept camaro interior, I dunno why but those dials bug the fck out of me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.