Charger Forums banner

Srt-8 vs Camaro

6K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  Bigcountry 
#1 ·
Well for the moment to put to a slight rest the SRT-8 pulls on the camaro unless I have a "special" car.

Right now all I mainly have is a custom made intake by myself. Which basically means nothing has improved much haha. and 275 tires which shouldn't make a difference really.

My best friend got an 2SS Camaro with the R/S package a while back and has roughly 3000 to 3500 miles on it so we both left our campus at night being architecture majors and worked until about 2am.

We went on a main stretch area which usually has no cars during the day to begin with let alone at night.

We started 5 different times to get as accurate as possible. Basically the starting speeds were 0mph - 40mph - 60mph - 80mph - and 95mph.

The only one where the camaro pulled in the beginning was the 0mph mark but after 30mph or so the beast pulled again. The same went for each one and always ended up with me roughly stopping after 5 or 6 car lengths. Now I know people say certain SRT's have a bit more power than others but I woulden't assume mine would be one of them or the story is even true. I figured he should have the advantage being lighter but I don't know now.

Certainly an interesting story though IMHO and during the entire fun only 1 car was ever in sight.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks :beerchug:, I don't know I just thought they would pull easier being lighter but I guess not unless he bought a considerable lemon.

All in all the best races are with friends because there is no cheating or complaining or the "if i had this" story.

#4 ·
Well for the moment to put to a slight rest the SRT-8 pulls on the camaro unless I have a "special" car.

Right now all I mainly have is a custom made intake by myself. Which basically means nothing has improved much haha. and 275 tires which shouldn't make a difference really.

My best friend got an 2SS Camaro with the R/S package a while back and has roughly 3000 to 3500 miles on it so we both left our campus at night being architecture majors and worked until about 2am.

We went on a main stretch area which usually has no cars during the day to begin with let alone at night.

We started 5 different times to get as accurate as possible. Basically the starting speeds were 0mph - 40mph - 60mph - 80mph - and 95mph.

The only one where the camaro pulled in the beginning was the 0mph mark but after 30mph or so the beast pulled again. The same went for each one and always ended up with me roughly stopping after 5 or 6 car lengths. Now I know people say certain SRT's have a bit more power than others but I woulden't assume mine would be one of them or the story is even true. I figured he should have the advantage being lighter but I don't know now.

Certainly an interesting story though IMHO and during the entire fun only 1 car was ever in sight.
Good runs. Is his Car an Auto or Manual?

#5 ·
The magazines have them at similar times but I don't see lots of threads about negative experiences racing SS's on here. Honestly the few I've seen in person have done everything they could to get away from me on the highway.

#12 ·
From people who have posted the fastest drag racing times made in the bone stock Camaro it doesn't seem to matter if it is an automatic or a stick- The SRT8 seems to just be a quicker car.

I agree with the OP that this is fairly dissapointing. I definitely expected the Camaro (especially a 6-spd) to solidly beat the Charger. I have heard many theories as to why the Camaro is under-performing, but I guess we will have to wait and see what it really is.

One thing is true- Once the mods start, the Camaro will have the advantage. There is just a way bigger aftermarket for these rides.

#14 · (Edited)
that IS very strange. every magazines have the SS tested at 5 seconds flat 0-60, i remember even one of them -motor trend or car and driver can't remember- even managed to pull ahead of the manual SS with an auto SS.

when you said the camaro had a bit of an edge before 30mph. do you mean you both start from standing still? or you both start from a speed before 30mph but over 0mph. i would think the Camaro should have a big advantage between the 30mph~55mph mark, since our cars tend to hit a 3000rpm "torque hole" if you do a WOT in between that range.

none the less... it's a very nice car tho, got my head turned for sure. i particularly can't resist the yellow bumble bee transformer package. i think i would've gone and traded for one if it wasn't for the ugly and huge disappointing interior.

#15 ·
that IS very strange. every magazines have the SS tested at 5 seconds flat 0-60, i remember even one of them -motor trend or car and driver can't remember- even managed to pull ahead of the manual SS with an auto SS.

none the less... it's a very nice car tho, got my head turned for sure. i particularly can't resist the yellow bumble bee transformer package. i think i would've gone and traded for one if it wasn't for the ugly and huge disappointing interior.
When I was carshopping, I followed the Camaro. The Automatic was really underperforming the mags, as if they had multiple versions on tunes floating around...... This guy finally got some performance back after GM reflashed his car (after his wife beat him multiple times with the IS-350)...

Added my 0-60 vid in the OP.

VIN# 9067
Over 2000 miles
Broke the engine in according to GM suggestions.
Oil changed @ 1500 miles

I've been really happy with the Camaro. Wouldn't trade it for the world and it seems strong after about 65 MPH.

Engine is strong. I can feel the power pushing the heavy car but it's just not accelerating the way it should. As I've said before, My Wife's stock IS-350 beat me EASILY and that shouldn't happen.

#18 ·
Ive raped 2 manual SS's so far. Im modded though. It really would not have mattered if I was modded or not. It was a sad outcome for the SS's. One guy was all happy that he was messing with me in his nice shiney new Maro. Then he got waxed by a big 4 door boat. He stopped being all happy after that. LOL.

#19 ·
Maybe this is something your friend and you can try again:

"Chevy also added a sport automatic mode, selected by simply moving the gear lever down into the M position. Doing so raises the shift points higher (perhaps too high), holds gears for longer (perhaps too long), and forces downshifts to happen more abruptly and aggressively during deceleration." http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/r...=Chevrolet&model=Camaro&cp-documentid=1059959

maybe try it in manual shift mode first, and then try again in the sport automatic mode, see if that'll improve the result. i still have a hard time believing, since Car and driver was able to pull a 4.8sec 0-60 and 13.1 1/4. either that or your friend's SS is a dud.

#20 ·
Well I'm not sure on the Camaro's settings but he had it (according to my friend) in "track mode" , now as I said I'm not sure if thats what you speak of or something else and to your other question.

We started at 0mph and going up the mph range after we reached about 30mph I then noticeably began to pull. If that clears up any of your questions. Sorry for the delay!! I wasn't near a computer and it won't notify my email on my blackberry until I go back to my computer after a new message is written.

#23 ·
I drove my friends SS and I wasn't impressed, it lacked the torque I was used to in my SRT8

#26 ·
I feel much better about my 3 yr old SRT8 versus the new Camaro SS after this post. Not that I was scared to run with them in the first place, but I have much more confidence now. :beerchug:
Thanks!

#27 ·
Just letting everyone know what their up against stock for stock according to our trials haha :beerchug:

#30 ·
I went to the track a few weeks back and a guy had one of the brand new Camaro SS's, it was orange and a 6-speed manual.

He said the car has some kind of shift-skip feature that he was claiming kept putting the car into 4th gear when he tried to do the 1/4 mile. I dont know if that was true or what... but he was racing all night long doing 14's (14.0-14.4) his best time of the night was a 13.9

My Bee was doing 13.3's-13.4's all night (if i didn't suck i bet i could have knocked a few 10ths off)

I asked him if he wanted to do one with me, have the two orange cars race (cause I had ppl filming my races) and he wussed out. He said he wasn't going to be racing anymore that night (but then did later on when I was parked for a bit) :banana:

#31 ·
The skip shift is only supposed to come into play at very low speeds (like shifting at 10 MPH.) So if this was an issue at the track, he needs to get it fixed... More likely he is just giving you and excuse for his poor driving or the fact that he keeps mis-shifting himself. There is no way that the skip shift should be triggered at the track, none.

#32 ·
Just went by the Chevy dealership that i worked at for a whole 2 months to see a buddy. While i was there this rich bastard that lives here walks up to me and says " Bet you wished you never bought that peice of chit when you could have got a SS Camaro ". I knew he had one that he bought there, so i simply said wheres your peice if chit buddy? He says " there changing the oil for the first time, so its broke in and ready to hurt your feelings ". I told him to get that peice of chit out here and lets go.....NOW! So he gets it out and we hit sum back roads.....mind you its an auto. Took my buddy with us for a witness as there was money involved cus he pissed me off! Anyway, i beat him easily from a standstill, rolling at 30 and 60 and he NEVER came close! Last run at 60 i really destroyed him as i did`nt let off until 155 and my buddy almost chit himself! After the last run we pulled into a gas station and he paid me my $100 bucks and says " Do you want to sell that....i`ll write you a check right now, cus i`m getting rid of this peice of chit soon ". Now i dont know if hes a bad driver or what, but i destroyed that car in every conceivable way!

#33 ·
LOL!!!... what an ass... who comes up to a person and call their car POS... what a piece of work this guy.

although i would never go 155mph again (scared the **** outta me the first time with my wife screaming my ears out), i am glad you taught him a lesson. it's good that you guys picked 30mph and 60mph mark, these are our car's strongest power band.

If more and more of you guys are telling the same story, i am starting to believe that the 2010 SS might just be that less of a car.

#35 ·
This is funny, I have worked for GM for 23 years now and actually work @ a Chevy dealer now. I tried to get into a SS for a great price and was denied by the sales manager. Of course working at the dealer I run across several SS owners. One of the guys with a Automatic SS had a Procharger put on his and asked if I'd be willing to run up to Richmond Dragway on a friday night. Told him yeah now this was on a Wednesday night. I get a call Friday of the same week and a he says 6-10 of the 2010 SS where on board to race my Super Bee. I laughed and drove up to the track. Needless to say I was on my stock tire " RSA". Six of the ten showed up. The automatic cars ran very poor struggling to turn 13.7@102... now the 6speed cars ran low 13's 1 even ran a 12.88@112 stock. The Procharged SS only ran 12.4@114.

#36 ·
Now I know you we all love to pat each other on the back and say we have a better, faster car but...

I go to the track all the time in Northern California and I've never seen a stock SRT8 run below 13.2 in the quarter or above 108 MPH. Average is about 13.4-13.6 @104-106. This is after seeing maybe 20 or so stock or near stock SRT8s of various models at the track.

I guess on the East coast with -2500 DA and awesome track prep people can hit 12.7s or 12.8s I have not seen any video evidence of this but I believe it is possible. Haven't seen any stock SRT8s get even close at the tracks near me.

Now, we have a 6-speed Camaro SS at Infineon that has the mufflers removed and he runs 12.80s@109MPH w/ stock tires.

So anyways, I think the Camaros are capable of alot, especially the 6-speed ones. Problem is lots of folks cannot drive a stick at the track or on the street. We have a '09 or '10 Challenger SRT8 stick shift car at my track that I've never seen run below a 14 in the month or two he's been coming.

#41 ·
Well I mean my friend (when he was done adding options SS2 / RS) with taxes and payments and stuff it came to just shy of 40k and change. When my uncles friend bought an SRT-8 new he spent 43k and change. There isn't much of a difference once you start upgrading and customizing. Then again it also depends on the area and the dealership I usually believe so 10k could exist. Just my opnion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.