Charger Forums banner

HID, what kind hid kit am i looking for?

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Chris Mao 
#1 ·
what kind hid kit am i looking for, not sure the exact bulb i need, like H1
9000k, etc. thanks

Lenny

#2 · (Edited)
When you go to a website that sells HID Conversion Kits, you will usually buy the same size kits that your stock halogen bulbs are. Here are the bulb sizes from the owners manual:

LIGHT BULBS — Exterior Bulb Number
Low Beam Headlight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9006
High Beam Headlight. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9005
Front Fog Light—If Equipped . . . . . . . . . . 9145/H10 (Serviced at Dealer)

You will also need to decide what color bulbs you want, which is measured in Kelvin. Stock OEM HID bulbs are usually anywhere from 4300K - 6000K, which will also have the highest light output (lumens). If you go higher in color, the light will be more blue and/or purple but will have less lumens. Here is a color chart to give you an idea:

You may want to consider getting an "Upgrade Wiring Harness", especially if you chose to go with a 55w HID Kit:

HID Accessory Harness

Use this relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably. Symptoms indicating the harness is required would be intermittant starting or lights going out after being turned on for several minutes and requiring you to turn the lights off and back on for them to turn back on again.

Recommended for all 50W HID installations but most American and European cars work at 35W/50W without the harness. The harness is definitly recommended for Quad's and other ATVs or when running multiple HID installtions. This harness is a fused realy isolation harness capable of supplying 40A at 12vdc.

Also, some, if not most people, are having a flickering problem on some kits. If your does it, then you want to look into adding a capacitor:

You will need to add a capacitor to the relay harness, to prevent the lights from flashing like disco strobe lights. Its a 470µF 35V capacitor. You can find it at any RadioShack store for $1.29 each, their catalog # is 272-1030. I recommend you getting two just in case you plug it in backwards and it pops. Theirs is black, but I used a blue one. Note that one side of the capacitor has a stripe, this side is the negative (-) side. The side without the stripe is the positive (+) side. Here's a link to the item: 470µF 35V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic Capacitor

You can also look around and there is a "bulb out warning eliminator" kit that you can purchase:

Warning Code Eliminator

Some cars will generate a bulb out warning message or even turn the headlight/foglights off when connecting HID to them. Our cancellation modules fool the computer in the car and allow the HIDs to work flawlessly.

Due to some documented variations in cars, we suggest you note on your order (at checkout) your car year and model as well as application (low beam/foglights) so that we can match a specific module to your application. We carry 4 different modules to solve various applications as no one module generally works for all the possible market variations.

#3 ·
Yah, what he said ^

Question, where would I go to get the HID accessory harness? I'm having the intermittent starting problem with one of my 55W Fog lights.

#4 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Nah, I don't think everyone gave up.

I recently just heard of a different place I may get mine, which is even cheaper:

VVME - HID Conversion Kits - Single Beam Model - $40.95

Unfortunately you will still need to get a capacitor/warning code eliminator to prevent flickering!

#9 ·
I had to fix mine by myself and I'm an electronics Technician and it is worth the extra $20 bucks or whatever to get them already in there, lol. But then again I'm lazy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.