Charger Forums banner

Steering Wheel Shimmy When Braking

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  PlumCrazy1008 
#1 ·
Not severe, and not all the time, curious if anyone else has felt this. I have a 2008 R/T AWD

#2 ·
Sounds like warped rotors or tires out of balance. Does it happen at a certain speed or once you have braked a few times?

#4 ·
do a google on road force balance - find a shop that does this close to your area and have it RF balanced. I had the same prob as you and this solved my issue. And a suggestion, if you don't know who to select from the vendors that offer RF balance, choose a high-end service shop. I took mine to a BMW shop to have my wheels balanced. Couldn't have been more pleased with the service. They did the little things like put the balance weights on the inside of the rim, not hammered on on the outer lip like my 5-star Dodge shop did. I now have some very nice gouges on the rim that look kewl.

#6 ·
Have your tie rods checked out...my left outer tie rod went bad at 5K miles

#12 ·
The problem w/warped rotors became a real problem when pad manufacturers were prohibited from using asbestos. Asbestos helped dissipate heat. Now, with more heat retained in the pad, more is absorbed by the rotor. This is a problem not just with our Chargers, but with almost every make.

#14 ·
I am having the same problem. So far i have replaced the right front rotor and need to get the left front done soon. I used NAPA parts and the shake has diminished when I changed the rotor. I am going to change the front tires also. The tie rods seem to be fine so what else should I check for if I still have a shake.

#15 ·
I'm curious about the answer to this b/c I have a similar condition that actually feels like the pads are binding against the rotors - only happens before the brakes have enough time to build heat. I also sometimes feel the front end shimmy though the steering wheel whenever coming to a stop.

#16 ·
I will tell you what my results are after I change the other rotor [ran out of time while doing the right front to get to the left front] and a change of tires due to slight cupping on the outer tread. I am on vacation right now and it is hard to find the time to get much of anything done.

#17 ·
I just finished replacing the rotors and not a shake to be had. We will see how long that last. I will try giving Chrysler a call to see if they will be willing to send me say a $50 gift certificate for service or parts at a dealership. If they don't offer anything it will be dissapointing that it is a known issue due to poor quality parts. It is things like this that turns people to the foreign brands over the Big 3.

#18 ·
Thanks... what annoys me is that this problem did not start until I was just outside the 12 month/12K.

#20 ·
That's a good question. I would guess probably not too many of the conversations on this forum - although in the new vehicles I've owned, the majority of problems I've had occurred either before the first year (I wouldn't say it's a problem with the car's design as much as the supply of parts from the manufacturer) or after the warranty was expired. My Ram's gone 130K now and I didn't even have to change the brakes until 70K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.