Charger Forums banner

Comparison - Pontiac G8 GT vs. Dodge Charger R/T (merged)

148K views 2K replies 295 participants last post by  Grimlock 
#1 ·
so ive been reading up on the G8 cause my brother might get one. is this thing faster than an srt8? or what does it compare with? any info will help. thanks

#2 ·
Its a lunch for the SRT and a heads up for the RT. I am guessing it will be al ow 14 second car.

"The base engine is GM's 3.6-liter V-6 generating 261 horsepower. The transmission is a five-speed automatic with a manual mode. Again, fear not, driving enthusiasts. The GT adds not only a 362-hp, 6.0-liter V-8, but a six-speed automatic or an optional six-speed manual and a standard limited-slip differential. Pontiac says it will do zero to 60 mph in less than 5.5 seconds."

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2008-Pontiac-G8-GT-Show-Car.htm

#5 ·
I think it looks just as uninspiring as the GTO. I'm not betting any money on this thing being a runaway success. :)

#27 ·
It absolutely looks like somebody took an Acura and slapped Pontiac's ugly standard grill on it.

But hey, I guess Acura is a step up from the Sunfire clone that the GTO was. :)

#11 ·
Personally I like it. Always loved the Firebirds and GTO's of yesteryear but I made the mistake of buying an 05 Grand Prix GXP. While it would give my Daytona a real headache in a straight-line blast it was absolutely the most unreliable car I have ever owned. If this Pontiac is to succeed, quality has to AT LEAST be on par with the Charger, which has yet to give me a problem other than the slow trans leak which was repaired.

#14 ·
with 362 HP and 391 LB/FT...a 6 speed manual trans..and a weight that is under 4000 lbs?

this thing will be FAST...watch out SRT if you ask me
I will be awaiting test numbers

#19 ·
with 362 HP and 391 LB/FT...a 6 speed manual trans..and a weight that is under 4000 lbs?

this thing will be FAST...watch out SRT if you ask me
I will be awaiting test numbers
Are you sure about expecting good numbers? Sounds like a more heavy version of the LS1 GTO based on specs.

#15 ·
It's ok looking but not groundbreaking awesome.

#17 ·
I think it will look better than you might think.

I was not at all impressed with the marketing pictures. But in the snapshots I saw of it, taken at the autoshows, it looked hot.

I don't understand how the professional photographers, under the direction of the marketing professionals, can seem to get the car from the angles that make it look ridiculous.

#24 ·
No it wont. With almost 40 less hp and more weight than the GTO, it will be a mid 13sec car at best w/ 105-106mph trap speeds. Close, but not enough.

However, if the LS3 is offered in it with 430hp, I will take a long, good look at it. The 5series BMW is it's benchmark....

#22 ·
GTO's are way kewl in my book. If your skeptical come by my office and my buddy will give you a real fun ride... ;)

#23 ·
Or come by my house.....

Back on topic though, The one listed with the 6.0 liter with 362 hp is the GT trim. I wouldn't be too surprised if a GTP or GXP trim will follow. Now, that will be interesting.

#25 ·
I think the G8 looks very similar to the new dodge avenger.

#32 ·
No, not even close unless they bring out the limited edition version that is not scheduled to come here yet.

It also will have a less sophisticated MacPherson front suspension.

But it will come with a stick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.