Charger Forums banner

Dealer Deposit Refund?

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Techdude82 
#1 ·
Hello folks, I just have a general question when it comes to dealer deposits for ordering vehicles. In your experience or opinion, should that deposit be refundable?

My scenario:
Placed an order for a SP Charger, see a SRT that is semi-close (within 150 miles) that I'm interested in. I ask my local dealer about the possibility of refunding my $1000 deposit and was told I'm welcome to pursue any car I desire but the money is theirs.

I checked my order status and it's currently in D-status. If it's not put into production, would they be able to get their allocation back? That would be the only reason I could see why they'd keep the money.

Thanks all, :driving:

#2 ·
Typically the deposit is not refundable if you simply change your mind.

If the deal doesn't go through for a valid reason (financing not approved, etc.) then they should return it.

I would try to work with them to see if they can do a dealer trade with the other dealership so you still get the SRT and don't lose the deposit.

#4 ·
Thanks you two, that's what I am trying now. The dealership with the SRT is going through the inventory of my local one to see if there is anything they want/need.

#5 ·
No dealer trade. They didn't find anything they wanted to trade it for.

I decided to stick with my current order for now. I don't want to lose my deposit, and the SP Charger has a $1000 rebate on top of everything. It was going to be a payment jump of $79/month to go with the SRT, and the term would have extended from 75 months to 84 months.

#6 ·
Have the dealership change your order to the SRT. I don't think Dodge is going to cause a problem with this and remind the dealership the SP order bank just closed until August so the SP might fetch well in July when they are harder to find or better yet a dealership might want a trade.

The entire non-refunded deposit on a car yet to be delivered drives me nuts unless it's on the truck. If it's in production that order can be stopped or redirected.

If you really want the SRT, get the SRT. $79/month wouldn't swing me back to the SP.

Just something to think about.

#11 ·
Dealership ended up refunding me my deposit and they are still going to leave the car to be built and delivered to their lot. Shout out to @Stateline Dodge in KC for being classy and understanding the SRT itch. :)

#12 ·
That's great. Glad to read that everything turned out OK.

When do you get the SRT?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.