Charger Forums banner

Project: Interior Blackout

11K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Damcharger 
#1 ·
This has been a long process for me with a few Snafu's. It's nearly complete (have a few more BT Tchotchke's to add) but i am proud enough to post this for now.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More pics - cellphone pics. The first ones are from a regular camera.

Attachments

#3 ·
I want details. Did you cannibalize the hard parts like the seatbelt stuff from a challenger? I've been thinking about this one for a long time and you seem to have the best results. Write up please!!! :D

#4 ·
There is not much to write up. The plastic pieces will need to be touched up as time goes on, the ones that get the most action that is, this is simply rattle can work - many coats tho. Used a Professional product made by SEM called Color Coat. It is a flexible coating used for plastics etc...

Definitely appreciate the compliment!

#7 ·
Looks great!
Man those seats, I know srt8's all have them but after driving an 05 300C for 3.5 years I am still jealous. Our 11 Charger rt max has good seats but they are no srt8 seats. I almost had a full set of srt8 seats for our 300C months back but someone swooped in last minute, bid and got them off ebay. They were only at $975 when I was outbid. I guess now it was good thing since I would have had a time trying to sell and worse ship em.

#8 ·
I was just thinking about this as I was wandering around at work and I'm so glad to actually see a finished product for the 1st time! My few questions are: How long does this take? Did you have the ceiling done professionally (and what what used)? What is the total estimated cost of doing this? Thanks dude, it really looks amazing :bowdown:

#9 ·
Bummer...someone changed my title AND moved the thread. Double negative. (and i just wanted to be a lil different). Oh well, same thing happened b4 when i posted about getting the Bee - suppose the title change has to do with tagging.

Anyway, the trim ring was one of the mishaps. At first i hired a custom shop to do the sueding. $650. When i picked up the car the visors nor pillars were done. The rubber trim piece was all messed up, and with everything black...just looked incomplete. IMO just suedingthe roof was not worth $650. And more, they should NOT have used the same suede with backing on the sunshade. That made it too thick to slide in and out and eventually broke the sunroof entirely.

So a buddy who know an upholsterer guy owed me a favor. The Upholsterer finished the detail work. Did a great Job. Only complaint was some overspary i had to get rid of and i wanted the pillars sueded. He said the suede would not hold up on the plastic pillars but would suede the rear - when i picked up the car after 5 days nothing had been sueded. Still looked great tho so i was very grateful to him forthe work. My Friend paid him $250 (only becuse he never had time to do the work he had promised in exchange) but the upholsterer said if he knew what he was getting into he could have charged $800.

Two weeks after getting it back is when the sunroof broke. I went back to the upholster for help, but he had said flat out he does not mess with sunroofs from the beginning. He did advise me tho and sold through his supplier the paint i needed to cover the new sunshade - he recommended painting so i don't run into the same problem.

5 cans later @ $15 ea. my garage was a mess with black overspray and the shade was not covering well and looked horrible. At that point i separated the backing from the suede on the old sunshade, got some 3M adhesive, and layed it out. Much easier than i thought and the upholsterer must have had some unnecessary fear or negative past experience - Projekt complete :)

Hope i answered the questions. Thanks for the compliments!

#10 ·
Its possible to put suede on the pillers cuz mine have been done since january with no probs. but my question is did you dye the seal that goes around the window and helps hold the sunvisor up cuz my is still tan and my interior guy told me i would have to use suede to rewrap that piece.

#12 ·
Thanks for the info - I will go ahead with sueding the visors/pillar as time goes on if need be. As for now i feel good about the look. I also think/hope the paint will hold up better than the suede - heard reports of the sun fade on sueded pillars. The only suede materal used was the Headliner and sunshade. All else was covered with the SEM product mentioned.

That does look pretty awesome, good job!

Are there recommended materials other than suede to do the headliners/trim with?
Thanks alot, much appreciated. I am not aware of other materials beside suede. The OEM headliner material is similar to the C pillar material - which was painted with the SEM product. I suppose you could paint the whole thing if you were going for a look/color change?

#14 ·
This looks really good, I don't think I'll be doing my interior though. Sounds like too much time and money to be wasted on a plain R/T interior that my daughter could potentially ruin. Maybe I should have just opted for the Road&Track package for the interior on the Daytona the dealership had with a few extra miles on it.

#15 ·
SICK! I have black suede headliner as well. It makes the black leather look so much better. Really changes the look of the interior. I also dyed all my plastics to be black.

#18 ·
Yeahhh buddy! Post up some pix

Great job!

Some people say that plastic coating can't resist high temperatures and sooner or later it cracks in some areas.
What do you think about that? does it look hard and resistant?

Thank you
Thanks man! Still easily one of my favorite mods...
I park outside in the South Florida heat - No window tint either and after a few years there's essentially no signs of wear or crackage...just the expected stuff going in, like the where the sunscreen hinges clip the coating is removed from use. I'd touch it up if ever going to a show or anything. Oh, the handle on the sunshade has bubbled. Presumably from oils on my skin from touching. I had to learn the hard way and always pull it myself rather than letting the motor slide it as the thickness of the suede changes the ease of motion. Just another part to refinish if ever showing. Overall still very happy!

That looks really good, definitely adding this to my long list of mods
Do it! Makes the interior...Perfectly awesome :beerchug:

Glad this thread was revived for more to see.

#16 ·
Great job!

Some people say that plastic coating can't resist high temperatures and sooner or later it cracks in some areas.
What do you think about that? does it look hard and resistant?

Thank you

#20 ·
Finally got around to taking pics of my suede headliner. Check it out. I can take more later of my visors which I forgot. But I am in my office now and can't till after work.

Attachments

#24 ·
Thanks bro, but the piece I was referring to was this one. All my other dyed black interior pieces are fine, but the one the seat belt rubs against always comes off. Any idea if they have this one in black? Thanks again.

Attachments

#25 ·
looks great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.