Charger Forums banner

road salt and sand...?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Guy Montag 
#1 ·
Been out here in the east coast (N.Virgina) now for maybe a month ad the temprature is dropping. I've heard they salt and sand the road sometimes to prevent icing of the roads. I wanna know if the package of protectant the dealerhip offers is need. The protection is for the undercaridge and body. I think he quoted me for 550.00. Just wanna know if the Chargers out here are protected from enviormental varibles and if I should puchase this plan.:confused:

#2 ·
I would! I would also get the 6yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. To me it is worth the extra grand.

#3 ·
I live in this "salt and sand" area and I have never had any protection packages added to any car. I have heard both sides of this, good and bad. Its really up to you. All I do is clean out the underside good as soon as I can after driving through it. I use a automatic lazerwash a few times during the winter. It has a good undercarrage wash. :happy:

#4 ·
i moved to maryland from NC and didnt have the under coating done to my escape. but after 3 winters up here i could tell the difference. granted i never sprayed under the car but the salt really ate up the underside.

and now that you brought this up.. i didnt have it done to my charger and they never asked. i think, dont quote me, some dealerships up here have all their cars coated - as for the price, well they are car salesmen and probably worked that into the cost.

ill be calling them this weekend to find out.

#5 ·
If you did not get real rustproofing then I would get it. Have not have had problems with my Jeep. but I am now in the process of POR-15 painting the bottom of body and underside of the 1972 Charger. Granted, they did not do much of that back in '72.

I do NOT recommend undercoating since it actually promotes rust and is nothing but a sound muffler. Get real rustproofing (check around for what collectors use) and to deaden sound, install DuraMat under carpet, in door panels, behind back seat, in trunk and in roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.