Charger Forums banner

How many quarts of oil...

94K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ttonyy 
#1 ·
Will I need to change my own oil? I already have jack stands and will be picking up an oil flter as well as a drain pan.

Oh yeah and whats the easiest way to dispose of the used oil?

#2 ·
look in your manual but don't put it all in at once.... the hemi says 7, but that's bone dry at assembly, you never get it all out in an oil change, start with 6 or 6.5, check it then run it for a few seconds and turn it off, let it settle a minute then check it again, then add to get it to the top line.

Not sure what is spec'd for V6 so check manual to get you close.

#3 ·
And, be sure to have a drain pan big enough to hold 6.5 qts. (Ask ElCobra about this one!)

#4 ·
6qts is needed for the 3.5l engine in your SXT, and your local trash place should have some large containers for used oil and antifreeze.

Also remember you need to remove the belly pan/skid plate plastic thingy.. 4 bolts and can't recall their size...

don't over tighten your filter and make sure the gasket of the old one is off.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone.... Anyone know what sive the skid plate bolts are? I am sure I have a full set of tools, unless its a crazy size. I am off to autozone for some Mobile1 right now.:driving:

#7 ·
Easiest place I find to drop off oil and the used oil filter is either at a Canadian Tire (don't know if you have one or not, but something along the lines of that) or if you look up in the telephone book for a waste recycling service they usually take them too.

Hopefully that helps

#9 ·
Yeah thats exactly what I got. I had an oild place change it out to that 6,000 miles ago, and they charger me like $80. It cost me $60 for 6 quarts, mobile one filter and a 15 quart oil catch pan thingy. I am going to attempt to do it tonight, as yes, as much as I love cars, I have never changed my own oil. Its sad.

#13 ·
Stupid question but what kind of container should you transport the oil in? To be recycled I mean.

#14 ·
I use a plastic cat litter bucket with a lid that snaps on. It holds ~12 qts of oil, so I can change the General (6.5 qts) and Big Blue (4.0 qts) each before I need to make a recycling run.

#15 ·
I usually just pour the used oil back into the 5qrt container and bring it to be disposed! My buddy actually works at Hyundai, and they burn used oil in the winter for heat, so I just give it to him!

Chewy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.