Charger Forums banner

EXTREMECONTACT DW vs DWS

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  GTO_04 
#1 ·
Time to get new tires. I want to go with either EXTREMECONTACT DW or DWS.
I will still use winter tires in the winter but which tire is all around better tire?
I assume DWS will last longer. Suggestions?

#2 ·
I always recommend to get a real summer tire, one of the best benefits of using a real winter tire in my mind. While it is true an all season will probably last longer that part of the compromise. Good all seasons are a good compromise but a compromise none the less.

I use BFG Comp 2s and will be taking them off for my Michelin XIce Xi3s in the next few weeks. It all depends what you value the most. IMO a decent summer tire will out perform a good all season tire for the weather you'll be using it in. I get the cost aspect that's why I don't use Pilot Super Sports which might be 5-10% better than my BFG Comp 2s but cost much more.

On the winter tire side the Blizzak WS80 and Michelin XIce Xi3 are so close I go with the Michelin with the understanding I might be some better wear and high speed stability.

Reactions: bbselement
#3 ·
I always recommend to get a real summer tire.
Ummm...The Conti Extreme Contact DW is a high performance summer tire.

The difference is in the compound and tread pattern. The DW is made for Summer while the DWS is all-season and can handle snow too (at some sacrifice for Dry traction in Summer).

The advantage of the DW is that it handles wet and dry Summer conditions very well while most dedicated Summer tires only handle dry conditions well and fall on their face when it's wet.

If the OP uses true winter tires, the DW is the best choice for the rest of the year. It carries the same tread life warranty as the DWS.

Reactions: GTO_04
#6 ·
If the OP uses true winter tires, the DW is the best choice for the rest of the year. It carries the same tread life warranty as the DWS.
DW has no warranty, DWS has 50k miles

#8 ·
so do I go with a funner tire that lasts 20k miles or more 50k miles for less fun?

#10 ·
I agree to an extent, I felt price vs. performance I wasn't going to shell out extra for the Super Sports vs. BFG Comp 2s.

In this case though the OP has winter tires so no need to use an all season tire at all.

IIRC the DWS will have the snow portion wear out probably about the time your winter or summer rubber would wear out so might as well get a dedicated snow and summer set if you already have the wheels.

Unless you are a complete slave to fashion go 18s for the winter set too it will save you a ton of money on the tires. 20 inch winter tires are usually expensive plus if you use same set of wheels you'll pay twice a year to swap them instead of changing the wheels yourself.

#11 ·
The biggest thing to remember is that the Summer tires won't perform well when the temps drop below around 40° due to the compound becoming like hard plastic.

So it's not just snow that you need to consider, it's the actual temperature too. If you live in a place that has extended periods with temps dipping below 40°, you need an all season tire unless you plan to run your snow tires during those times and wear them down.

We used to see dozens of accidents back in Memphis when it would drop into the upper 30s in the evening and people running Summer tires suddenly found themselves driving on hockey pucks.

#14 ·
yea, my winter set goes on at the beginning of November

#12 ·
Excellent point I think people feel hey we only got a few inches last year no big deal....

A real winter tire will stop much shorter on on a cold dry street than most any all season tire and way better than a summer tire.

I store my summer set in the garage which is attached but gets pretty cold in winter. Those summer tires are like a block of hard plastic while the winter ones are soft and pliable.

On the flip side over 75 or 80 and the winter tires get greasy feeling. Sometimes weather around here changes on a dime so hard to settle on a swap date!

Reactions: GTO_04
#15 · (Edited)
I'm actually going through this debate myself and looking at those two same tires you are djtuzik. Although I am in Florida, up here in the northern part it can get consistently cold for a month or two during winter (it can go into the 30s and 20s during particularly cold spells, but then sometimes back to 70 the week after, Florida weather is retarded like that) . Snow is extremely rare here though and it definitely doesn't warrant snow tires.

I do like to go on mini road trips year round and don't want to find myself ice skating down a hill somewhere a little north of me in a 4200 lb car lol. I do also take my car to the drag strip occasionally though, and would like the best performance out of tires for that as well, so I don't know :banghead:. I guess the all season would be the safer choice but I just can't convince myself enough to pull the trigger on them without second thoughts. They will be in 275 width all around though.

#16 · (Edited)
I have never run the DWS but I did run the DW on my G8 GT and was very happy with them. They had great handling along with outstanding wet and dry traction. Hard to believe a summer tire like that would have a comfortable ride, but it did.

Also keep in mind the DWS is being possibly discontinued and replaced with the DWS 06. Improved dry cornering is said to be the difference based on what I've read. Speaking of Contis I also ran the ExtremeWinter Contact on my G8 and it turned out to be a very good winter tire. Not quite as good as the Blizzaks on ice, but still a very good winter tire for the price. They were soft on the cornering though, mu more so than the Blizzak.

When my Goodyear F1s wear out I will most likely replace them with either the DW or the Michelin PSS.

Also, it is best to get a set of winter wheels, because the tire stores do not recommend mounting and dis- mounting low profile tires as part of a seasonal changeover.

GTO_04

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.