Charger Forums banner

Charger too much car-single guy with a dog?

8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  HemiLonestar 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I'm totally digging the new 8spd auto and want a scat pack Challenger. But I always drive a 4 door sedan (currently a Jetta) b/c it's so easy dealing with my 20lb dog and I take him almost everywhere in the back seat with his dog cover. And he loves sticking his head out the rear window.

A 2 door would get old with putting him in/out/in/out too. I love muscular V8s so the Charger is the better option. But it just seems so loooong. I'm single (have a g/f) and no kids (and wont in the future...I'm 45). But I'm leaning toward the Scat Pack when it arrives (or maybe the RT road/track).

Any other single/no kids guys driving a Charger?

#2 ·
I had a Charger for several years, then "upgraded" to a Mustang GT. My dog liked the back seat of the Charger much better, he could stretch out all the way! The bucket rear seats in the 'Stang he sort of has to curl up in. ;)

Reactions: GTO_04
#3 · (Edited)
Yeah I can't put him in a 2 door. He'd hate it. And he's not riding shotgun dirtying up the passenger seat/door. If he just liked to sleep or look through the center console, that would be one thing. But he's a window lover. Not to mention we go places with lots of stops sometimes. The ingress/egress with the sedan is just go great.

#4 ·
I also have a girlfriend and a dog, although he's a 70 pound lab. I will hopefully have kids in the future but not the near one. I came from a long line of coupes and I can tell you that it gets old quick having to get the dog's stuff and mine and my girl's stuff together in a coupe to drive four hours to go see family, you have to play tetris just to get anything to fit. Forget trying to move that plus any friends/family. If it was just you and your girl I would say Challenger, but with a dog you're essentially packing for a third person, unless you got a purse dog that could fit anywhere lol. Now that I have my Charger I haven't looked back, I say Charger unless you have other means of transportation for longer distances, if you do then Challenger. They are both great cars. :beerchug:

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. No he's definitely not a purse dog. And when he sadly passes on one day, I'm sure I'll have another dog and mostly likely larger. So yes he's pretty much like a 3rd passenger. And no 2nd car for me. I only like to keep/drive/maintain one. So I'll wait for the scat pack. That's a bad-a$$ enough sedan that I can accept. :)

#7 ·
I have 2 Chargers and take my 22lb weener dog with me most places. I have no kids and work as a home care nurse, so I spend a lot of time in my car. I love it, and wouldn't drive anything else right now. Plus, if you ever need the space for a significant other or to pick up friends.. you can do it easily. Also can fit tons of stuff in the trunk and back seat.

#8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It will just come down to the test drive. I miss having a fun V8 (had an '08 Mustang GT and '01 Z28) but I also like the size of the Jetta....it never feels bulky and has a lot of room. As long as the Charger doesn't feel like a Hummer in comparison, I should be ok.

#10 ·
no doubt the charger has a presence, but its stand alone in the large rwd v8 department. The Chevy SS seems smaller on the inside but it might be worth looking into

#11 ·
Instead of the Scat Pack Challenger, how about the Scat Pack Charger? :driving:

#16 ·
When I was single with no kids, I drove a Charger.

Badass is Badass...doesn't matter how many doors it has.

#22 · (Edited)
.....the Charger is the better option. But it just seems so loooong.....
Yeah, it's longer than a Challenger but only by 4". It's a difference, but not a huge one.
I'd recommend driving one and see how it feels. Go rent one and drive it around for a day or two. You'll get a much better feel for it than a test drive, and you can take the dog for a ride too. I would guess they cost $50-$100/day (though it's just a guess), but it's money well spent if it saves you from buying a car you don't like.

...... I miss having a fun V8 (had an '08 Mustang GT and '01 Z28) .... .....As long as the Charger doesn't feel like a Hummer in comparison, I should be ok.
I had a '97 Steeda Mustang until a few years ago (I bought it new). For a while I had both a Charger, and Mustang in the driveway, and I drove the Charger more. The Mustang was fun, and agile, but 2 door cars are a pain. The Charger has plenty of power, to keep you from missing that hearty V8 (because it has one), and doesn't handle much worse. It's far from feeling like a big awkward beast, even when compared to a Mustang or Camaro.

#24 · (Edited)
I've heard great things about those hammocks. A colleague of mine has one for her dogs in the Jeep, and seems very happy with it.
I transport my dogs in the truck (which is why I have a crew cab rather than regular cab). I fold the floor flat, and let them ride back there. It's like a mobile kennel. If your Ram doesn't have fold flat floors, you can buy them and put them in.
But I digress. The hammock is a great idea for the Charger. They also make seatbelt/harnesses if you're going to have your furry friends ride in the Charger with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.