Charger Forums banner

Tune that won't void warranty or best bang for the buck mod

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  808superbee 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2014 superbee. I just sold my other car, so I wanted to maybe put a little towards more power. Maybe about $1000 or so. But I don't want to void my warranty.

I ask this because I keep hearing as soon as I tune it, even if I remove the tune for taking it in for service or what not, the "black box" will show I did something to it and void warranty. Is this true? I currently only have a mopar intake And PO deleted the rear resonators. But I figured the lacking point would be in the shifting, which a tune would probably help.

Haven't been able to find much mopar stuff for the car either, since mope brand stuff won't hurt warranty supposedly.

Or I was thinking about a fender well intake instead of the mopar one. Not too sure how much better it would be if I was to do that.

Or should I just get mid pipes and a catback?

#2 ·
One of the easiest and most effective way to get more HP and torque is to use ACES IV, QuantumBlue HP Gold Coolant and QuantumBlue Custom Blended engine oil to go along with what you already have. Our 2006 Charger SRT8 picked up 19 hp and 31 ft lbs of torque from that combination. Car disappears 1st and 2nd gear much faster and picked up 3 tenths of a second in the quarter mile while picking up 2.5 mpg in the process. These will not do anything to your warranty and really get you a great foundation on the balande of what you want to do.

Speaking of the trans, the NAG1 5 speed fluid can be changed with QuantumBlue ATF+4++ IIA fluid with QB Ultra HP Trans filter and gasket kit that will make a world of difference in how the trans responds and shifts. Add to that the 75w110 QuantumBlue Tackifed Red Differential Fluid and you can pick up at least as much as we did doing the same. Total was 25 hp, 38 ft lbs of torque with 2.5 mph faster in the quarter.:rocker:

Simple and safe.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#3 · (Edited)
A tune will kill your warranty if they find out about it. There are a few people on the forums who say they can tell "something" has been changed even if you flashed it back, personally my guess is that that's BS. That they are trying to get you to admit to something because they see an aftermarket Intake. There are a lot of Vendors on the LX Forum, Z Forum, and This forum who all have the StarScan tool, the same that the dealership has and if they released a firmware or software update that made it so they could detect if the PCM Image were ever preciously flashed, I bet we'd know about it quickly.

If you're still questioning it though, buy a spare PCM and have one as your "Tuned" PCM and the other as your Stocker. Although us with the 15's don't have a choice if you want a tune it's probably for the best as it guarantees the Dealership can't tell. However that would pretty much eat up 100% of your $1000 Budget.

The LMI True CAI to my knowledge is the only one that has independently verified gains and should be good for 10hp. If you're worried about the warranty on a Mod, call the dealer, Mine's pretty lax when I called and asked them what is fine they said Intake, Exhaust, Headers, etc. are all fine. But that varies dealer to dealer.

Were I you i'd get the Intune, a CAI, Custom Tune, and a Quart of ACES from Brian.

#4 ·
Actually, the new models do leave a "fingerprint" when they have been tuned, and it remains even after they have been returned to the stock tune. The PCM retains a program modification history.

So far, no one has had an issue with it being detected...but it does exist. If you get into a warranty fight, the can use it to deny coverage.

Odds are that if you tune mildly without other obvious engine mods like heads, headers, cams, etc. they will likely never use that fingerprint against you.

But to be clear, the fingerprint is there and they can use it against you if they choose to. The terms and conditions of the warranty clearly state that you are not permitted to modify the vehicle beyond the factory condition.

#7 ·
But to be clear, the fingerprint is there and they can use it against you if they choose to. The terms and conditions of the warranty clearly state that you are not permitted to modify the vehicle beyond the factory condition.
This is interesting, I haven't read about this anywhere else, which is most all I do on the weekends since there's nothing to do at work, lol.

When you say fingerprint, do you mean it just shows on the StarScan tool that the properties have been modified recently? Or that the Image has been tampered with? Or can it tell that it was a custom tune?

I ask because if it's the former two, an explanation such as I had my firmware updated by the dealership recently might suffice...Just wondering, regardless it kinda makes me happy that the 15's require seperate PCM's so I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks for the info!

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies! As for the ACES formula. Being an octane booster, will it foul my plugs faster? My friend used the torco brand one for his Audi when he would switch to a 100 octane flash on his car and it fouled them up fast.

As for the intake stuff, do you guys think it's worth it to swap out the mopar to the LMI one? Or will the gains be insignificant? I will probably call the dodge department down here on Monday auto see what they say as far as mods go.

#6 ·
No, ACES won't foul your plugs in any way. It doesn't make the fuel burn hotter, just more smoothly and efficiently.

You will see very minor gains with the LMI and only under certain conditions.

If you really want to feel power boost, change the rear gear ratio to something like a 3.55 or 3.92. You will feel like you are driving a rocketship without making any other changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.