Charger Forums banner

Got nose repainted on 14 SE....color off. Pics inside

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  2tango2 
#1 ·
I had a very minor accident a little less than a year ago where the very corner of the nose got the plastic cracked right where the plastic and metal meet in the wheel well. That was the only damage and in fact it was so minor I drove all last summer before I brought it in to be fixed.

Even as minor as it was it required the whole nose to be replaced and painted.

My Charger is a 2014 SE in Granite Metallic

When I brought the car in I had them swap out the chrome grill for the black one. When I got it back it was all shined up and looked great to me. Well fast forward through winter and and some tough spring weather and I've been taking a closer look at the paint job

The Granite Metallic as a whole looks like it is a dark gray with brownish or bronze undertones to it. My repainted nose looks gray with blue undertones that don't even match the car. Almost like they used the wrong paint code number.

Here are some pics

Floor Glass Flooring Metal

Automotive exterior Glass

I swung by the shop a few days back and asked them to look at it. They def saw the difference in colors but did not much they could do about it. The painter told me that colors react differently on plastics vs metals and it all depends on how the sun hits the (I think he said flex?).

Anyways they all agreed the color was off but said they could not get it too match unless they repainted it and then blended in the front fenders and part of the hood.

I'm no body shop expert but I would think they could get the color a bit closer than what you see in the pics?? I'm not looking for a perfect color match but maybe closer to the original gray/brown color?

Ideas or is the body shop really right in saying it can't be matched up any better by just repainting the nose? Total on the job was 700 bucks ( including new nose) so if I have to bring it elsewhere to be repainted I'm not gonna break the bank

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a common problem with silver and grey colors since they seem to weather a bit more than other finishes. They're also on the lighter side and minor color differences can become very apparent.

Any reputable body shop should know that they need to blend the paint in and that you can't just paint a single body part and have it color match to the rest of the car. There is something they can do about it: they can do it correctly. I had a friend with a similar situation on a rear bumper repaint and she made the shop paint it again since the difference was much like yours. Go back and politely demand that they do the work correctly. You didn't pay for a so-so color match. With modern technology and some smarts, a good body shop knows how to overcome this.

Since this is after the fact, I don't know how much of a leg you have to stand on, but I would look into how long they guarantee their repairs and hold them to it if it's within the time window.

I hope that helps,

Andy

#3 ·
They got the wrong paint. The same paint code from one plant can be a different color in another plant. They CAN do something about it. They can get the right paint. You paid for it to be done right and that is just wrong!! It didn't come from the factory two different colors. They used the wrong color and that's why it's different. Any decent painter can see that it's not the plastic that's making the difference. Take it back and have it done right. I would NOT accept that.

Sent from Motorola Droid Turbo

#4 ·
by your pics that lighter color gray looks like my Tungsten gray metallic not Granite crystal metallic. I know paint does have a different hue to it from plastic to metal but that's off a lot.

Reactions: GTO_04
#8 ·
I was thinking the same thing. My 2012 was Tungsten Metallic and my 2015 is Granite Crystal. I parked my 2012 next to my sister's 2014 (Granite Crystal) and I could see the difference, which is very similar to what I am seeing in these pics.

GTO_04

#5 ·
They should have blended first of all. And color can all depend on brand used, mixture ratio, flow of the gun and how good the painter is. Lighter colors and metallic flake colors are harder to match than a plain black or dark blue.

Looks like they should fix it if you (your insurance company) paid to get it done.

#6 ·
Brampton does not blend and most cars match pretty well. I wouldn't want them sanding my original paint on hood and fenders just because they can't figure it out. Make them do it again.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I'm no paint expert, but this just looks like they poured the paint and didn't bother trying to get it to match at all. It's not weird for the plastic to be a little different, but this looks pretty drastic. Id ask them to do it again.

I am The Sock Monkey and I approve this message

#9 ·
Those are definitely 2 different silvers. I also think they ordered the wrong color.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies and validating that it's not just my eyes. I brought it to another shop to look and and they were like wow. Their painter wasn't in but the person who looked at it said they could get the color a lot closer than what they see now and possibly they could blend it if I want. They actually asked me to ask my insurance company to see if they will cover it. I don't think Geico will since I didn't use one of "their" shops but she said to check anyways

I don't want to go back to the original shop as if they were that off the first time and had doubts the 2nd time....who knows what I'd end up with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.