Charger Forums banner

Failing California Smog Check because of CAI

17K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Ddaddy 
#1 ·
Cant pass my smog check on my 2006 Dodge Charger. In 2006 I replaced the car's Cold Air Intake with a Mopar model. The problem I have is that according the State of California, I have the wrong CAI. Every qualified aftermarket piece has a CARB EO number on it and if you look it up, it says that my CAI is meant for a 2005 Charger, 300 and other pre 2006 cars. Part of the problem is that the part number on my CAI is not the part number that shows up when you do a search for 2006 Dodge Charger on the internet. I called Chrysler and was told that the part is correct and that the part number has been superseded by the new part number. In other words, they changed the part number.

I talked to Mopar and they are going to try to help me. The weird thing is that I am the only person who has complained about this. I cant be the only person in California that has this issue. It only came up now because you dont have to smog check a new card for five years

My part number is P4510832 with an EO number of 265-22. It needs an EO number of 265-25 or above.

Let me know if anyone has had this problem or solved it

#3 · (Edited)
I don't see any numbers on mine anywhere. Do you know where they are located?

On the side, is your filter oiled or dry? Just wondering, because mine is oiled... which might mean it's older as well because when I went to get the oil recharge kit from Dodge the guy told me that they didn't even make them (oiled filters) anymore. However I was still able to pick up the oil kit from the dealer for about the same price as the K&N would have been, they just had to order it. I wanted to keep it blue.

#5 ·
richd

You are right, Part#4510832 is for the 05/06 Hemi 5.7 but not according to the State of California. That part # is only good for 2005. Another part number shows up for 2006 Charger. EO 265-25, 265-26 has the part number listed as 77060003. EO265-29 has another part number that is a variation of the 770600003. According to Mopar they are all the same CAI (more or less), just different part number

The problem is that Mopar would have to tell the State that my part as well as all of the following part numbers are good for the 2006 Charger

As for the sticker it should be right on tube. I have attached a picture of mine

Attachments

#8 ·
Dude! You need to detail that engine bay!
I knew someone was going to say that. To be honest, I was surprised how dirty it was when i tried to get the smog check

Now that I am embarrassed, I will have to have it done this weekend:banana:

#11 ·
Does anyone know where to get the CARB sticker for the Mopar CAI if it is missing?

Also does anyone know if the Exemption letter for the 07 SRT CAI is online also?

Thanks for the help.

#12 ·
To the OP, best bet at this point would be to simply re-install your stock intake to get the smog cert, then put your Mopar CAI back on later. Un(?)fortunately, the smog station you've gone to is protecting their a$$ by sticking to the letter of the law. Since the EO specified for the CAI you have doesn't apply to your configuration, they're not permitted to pass you.

I have a similar situation where my AFE CAI has CARB certification and an EO that only applies through 2005 (the Magnum and 300 were tested and certified before the Charger was built). The engine and exhaust are the same but AFE has had to resubmit their design for approval on the later model years. That was 2007 and I'm still waiting for them to get approved. :(

Jim, I think you'd have to request that through Mopar. I doubt anyone else has them. Perhaps your dealer's parts dept can help you get in touch with them.

#13 ·
Im missing my sticker also. Lost it during install of intake. I will be at dealer saturday morning for my fan recall. Ill see if they can get them.

#16 ·
I've had this issue with all of my vehicles. I've learned that before I go get the smog check, replace the filter with the original, then put the CAI back on after the test. I'm doing my smog check today. I've replaced the filter with the original, but I'm a little worried about my center mufflers being removed. I hope that doesn't make it fail.

#18 ·
LOL California.

Ohio can't say anything to us until they shut down Lake Erie.

#20 ·
Mufflers aren't part of the emissions system. Anything behind the cat on the exhaust is fair game to be changed. Just don't screw with the cats unless they are bad. Then they are supposed to be replaced with OEM ones, not universal ones.

#21 ·
Mufflers aren't part of the emissions system. Anything behind the cat on the exhaust is fair game to be changed. Just don't screw with the cats unless they are bad. Then they are supposed to be replaced with OEM ones, not universal ones.

#22 ·

#23 ·
Zombie thread...

I have to get smog checked for registration. And my CAI has no stickers (Besides the blue Mopar M)... we'll see.

I did purchase the vehicle used, and the CAI was already on it. I'll update what happens after it's all done.

#24 · (Edited)
Passed, easily. I called ahead to the location where I was going to get my car smogged. Told him my situation (Mopar CAI with no sticker) and he said all I needed was the Executive Order Number.

Dug around for a bit, found the number. For the 06-07 Charger, 5.7L Hemi the EO Number is D-269-34.

I gave him the number, ran the test and I was on my way. :bigthumb:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

#25 ·
New sticker Mailed by Mopar

I just called the Mopar Performance Tech Line. They gave me a solution for this problem. The part P4510832 with Sticker D-265-22. The New part Number changed to 770060003 with Sticker D-265-25. To obtain a new sticker you need to take#1 a picture of you VIN# then #2 Take a picture of the CIA installed on your car. Then you need to Email Perftec@chrysler.com with your Name, Address, Telephone # and Email. They send the sticker out Ground. They just mailed mine last night Free of charge and they give you a tracking number

#26 ·
I just called the Mopar Performance Tech Line. They gave me a solution for this problem. The part P4510832 with Sticker D-265-22. The New part Number changed to 770060003 with Sticker D-265-25. To obtain a new sticker you need to take#1 a picture of you VIN# then #2 Take a picture of the CIA installed on your car. Then you need to Email Perftec@chrysler.com with your Name, Address, Telephone # and Email. They send the sticker out Ground. They just mailed mine last night Free of charge and they give you a tracking number

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.