Charger Forums banner

Goodyear ComforTred vs TripleTred

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Martok 
#1 ·
I need new tires. I did all the maintenance on my ComforTreds but they still wore out after 50k. I went back to Goodyear and they are going to prorate them. I was given a choice between ComforTred or TripleTred tires. I know the ComforTreds gave a pretty good ride and it was decent in snow.

Has anyone used TripleTred's on their RWD Charger? Some older reviews say the TripleTred is noisier and harder feeling, but the traction is much better. Those reviews were older so I wonder if TripleTreds bought today are any better. I'm leaning towards the TripleTreds. I live in Western NY and we get a lot of snow and ice.

#2 · (Edited)
I have used the TripleTreds on a 2002 Grand Prix GTP. The GTP was terrible in the snow and on ice with the LS2 and RS-A tires. The TripleTred was MUCH better! It is indeed a stiffer tire than even the RS-A. I was surprised by the improvement in handling with the TripleTred.

Normally I am a big proponent of winter tires, but if you don't want to get winter tires, the TripleTred would be a good choice. It is the best all-season tire I've used in the winter!

BTW, I would be thrilled with 50,000 miles with ANY tire! I never got more than 20-25K out of a tire with my G8 GT nor with my Charger. I will usually replace them when I get down to 3/32" to 4/32."

GTO_04

#3 ·
Thanks. I had the TripleTreds installed. Ride-wise, I think I miss the ComforTred but I can get used to the Triples. Traction-wise, these are pretty phenomenal. I purposely stopped on a sheet of ice and took off fast. I didn't spin the tires or slid that much. I do feel more bumps, but I also don't have to worry about the snow or ice as much on my commute.

My old tires were rated for 80,000 and they were close to the wear marks at 50k. In the last 6 months my traction started going downhill. One tire had dry-rot near the rim. Something was wrong with that tire. It would lose pressure during WNY temperature swings. I had the tire topped off two weeks ago and a week later the air pressure was low again. For the most part, I took it to them to top off the air. They had a long documented history of issues with the tire. They tried fixing it before. They can't find a leak. They popped it off rim and resealed it, but refused to replace it. Last week I told the manager I did't want these tires anymore and we worked out a deal. They saw the history and made me a good deal.

I counted 5 fascias in the median on my commute during the last snow storm. Spending $460 (minus $120 rebate) on new tires is cheaper than $500 deductible (plus increased insurance premiums) of wrecking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.