Yet Another Tire thread. Scat Pack - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension (2011 +) Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 27 Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 AM
FlyersHockey
Senior Member
 
FlyersHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat11 View Post
I have zero issues with anything you mentioned here. Your points are valid and I agree that for the purposes of traction, nothing beats a purpose built tire matched to its conditions.

What I take offense to is calling someone's choice "gay". It's not the specific word that bothers me but the implication that somehow all season tires, and those of us who choose to use them are stupid or that we aren't making the right choice.

In the absence of face to face conversations where we can understand intent, forum posts, e-mails and texts can easily be taken out of context, hence the defensive responses that often result.

If you'll look at Jim's (Flex's) post on the same topic you can see how clearly it comes across without being derogatory in any way.

I'm not mad in the least, just issuing a caveat that this is something to be mindful of.

Cheers!

My apologies, I shouldn't have used that word. Was being a bit immature there.

I should have simply wrote what my opinion was, in that especially for performance vehicles, I dislike the all-seasons.

Specifically the summer tires, you get so much better performance out of them. That being said, I'm probably the goof for spending money on summer and winter tires when 95% or more of my driving, all-season tires would be more than ideal.


I was in awe the first time I got on it with the summer's. Where I'd be going 30-40mph and floor it with the all-seasons, they'd squeal and slide a bit before going, with the summers you could feel them dig in, the front wouls rise and you'd move.

Anyway, I misspoke, shouldn't have said it as I did not intend to offend you guys or anyone for that matter.

*Traded* 2010 Charger R/T AWD. Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl exterior, black leather interior, front chin spoiler, Flowmaster Original 40's, tinted windows.

*Current* 2013 Charger SRT8 Super Bee. Black. Flowmaster Super 40's, and 20% tint all around.

Last edited by FlyersHockey; 03-19-2017 at 09:49 AM.
FlyersHockey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 27 Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Hazmat11
Senior Member
 
Hazmat11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Detroit Metro
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey View Post
My apologies, I shouldn't have used that word. Was being a bit immature there.

I should have simply wrote what my opinion was, in that especially for performance vehicles, I dislike the all-seasons.

Specifically the summer tires, you get so much better performance out of them. That being said, I'm probably the goof for spending money on summer and winter tires when 95% or more of my driving, all-season tires would be more than ideal.


I was in awe the first time I got on it with the summer's. Where I'd be going 30-40mph and floor it with the all-seasons, they'd squeal and slide a bit before going, with the summers you could feel them dig in, the front wouls rise and you'd move.

Anyway, I misspoke, shouldn't have said it as I did not intend to offend you guys or anyone for that matter.
Hey, no worries. Thank you for being open to the feedback. That's done and we can move on!

I've never owned summer only tires and am really anxious to try out the Kumho PS91s on the Scat Pack this year. My R/T needs it's all season's replaced since that's the daily and sees all weather but the Scat is a dedicated garage queen. It's never even been in the rain.

I'm going to be moving from a 460 to a 260 compound and also increasing the section width from 245 to 275 as it should have been from the factory.

My only concern with a summer only tire is that I do like to occasionally take the Scat out in the winter when the roads are clear. I can imagine in sub 45 degree temperatures a summer tire is going to feel like skating.

Since winters here are pretty long (4-5 months) it's something to think about. What are your thoughts on that? Keep in mind I don't want to run two sets of tires and wheels from a cost perspective.

2016 Charger R/T Scat Pack
2014 Charger R/T Blacktop
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

I can teach it to you but I can't understand it for you.

Last edited by Hazmat11; 03-19-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Hazmat11 is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Playhard
Senior Member
 
Playhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,700
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat11 View Post
My only concern with a summer only tire is that I do like to occasionally take the Scat out in the winter when the roads are clear. I can imagine in sub 45 degree temperatures a summer tire is going to feel like skating.

Since winters here are pretty long (4-5 months) it's something to think about. What are your thoughts on that? Keep in mind I don't want to run two sets of tires and wheels from a cost perspective.
My thoughts exactly and from my initial post the reason I wrote "conflicted". As you know I have dedicated winter tires. However, I do not drive very often in the winter as if need I can always take my wifes AWD if needed. I can say that it is fun having traction on cold pavement with dedicated winters but I really don't care for the look of 18" rims on my SP. Just looks wrong to me. So I may end up with the Conti dsw. Im going to ponder this for a bit.

Thanks all so far for your feedback.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Charger RT SP 392 loaded. Granite Crystal Metallica, 45% Tint. "Constantine"

2011 Charger RT Max, K&N Drop In, Aces IV, 45% Tint, Tungsten Metallic. Traded. Will be missed. "Lucy"

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White. Sold "White Lighting"
Playhard is online now  
 
post #24 of 27 Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM
FlyersHockey
Senior Member
 
FlyersHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat11 View Post
Hey, no worries. Thank you for being open to the feedback. That's done and we can move on!

I've never owned summer only tires and am really anxious to try out the Kumho PS91s on the Scat Pack this year. My R/T needs it's all season's replaced since that's the daily and sees all weather but the Scat is a dedicated garage queen. It's never even been in the rain.

I'm going to be moving from a 460 to a 260 compound and also increasing the section width from 245 to 275 as it should have been from the factory.

My only concern with a summer only tire is that I do like to occasionally take the Scat out in the winter when the roads are clear. I can imagine in sub 45 degree temperatures a summer tire is going to feel like skating.

Since winters here are pretty long (4-5 months) it's something to think about. What are your thoughts on that? Keep in mind I don't want to run two sets of tires and wheels from a cost perspective.

I guess we'll be running a pretty similar setup. Since I have 2 vehicles, I keep winter tires on one all year, although if I can find a cheap set of off brand all-seasons I may install them on my beater to keep the winter's with good tread and be able to get a few season's out of them.

I keep the summer's on, and they're not horrible in sub-40F temps as long as you don't plan on flooring it in 1st and 2nd. I've never driven them in the snow, but in cold weather they're fine for casual driving. If you try and punch it in a low gear theyll break free very easily. As far as what it does to tread life in putting some miles on summer tires in cold weather I'm not sure.

Last edited by FlyersHockey; 03-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.
FlyersHockey is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 03-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Hazmat11
Senior Member
 
Hazmat11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Detroit Metro
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey View Post
I guess we'll be running a pretty similar setup. Since I have 2 vehicles, I keep winter tires on one all year, although if I can find a cheap set of off brand all-seasons I may install them on my beater to keep the winter's with good tread and be able to get a few season's out of them.

I keep the summer's on, and they're not horrible in sub-40F temps as long as you don't plan on flooring it in 1st and 2nd. I've never driven them in the snow, but in cold weather they're fine for casual driving. If you try and punch it in a low gear theyll break free very easily. As far as what it does to tread life in putting some miles on summer tires in cold weather I'm not sure.
That's good feedback and very helpful. I think I'll go with a straight summer tire since I have good usability for 7-8 months out of the year. For snow, I grab the FJ which will go through 2 feet of anything on its 33s. Kinda nice having that luxury. For any other weather the R/T on all seasons is good.

I don't think tread life is going to be an issue unless you're constantly spinning them in the winter (on a dry road for example). I'll just have to be more mindful of when I can get on it and in what gear. Heat is really the enemy for wear (to my understanding).

Thanks, that really helps me make up my mind!
Hazmat11 is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Hazmat11
Senior Member
 
Hazmat11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Detroit Metro
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playhard View Post
My thoughts exactly and from my initial post the reason I wrote "conflicted". As you know I have dedicated winter tires. However, I do not drive very often in the winter as if need I can always take my wifes AWD if needed. I can say that it is fun having traction on cold pavement with dedicated winters but I really don't care for the look of 18" rims on my SP. Just looks wrong to me. So I may end up with the Conti dsw. Im going to ponder this for a bit.

Thanks all so far for your feedback.
I think if you have the choice to drive your wife's AWD (I steal my wife's truck!) then your options open up.

The only time I would see the need for a dedicated all season is if the temperatures in which you can safely enjoy the benefits of a summer tire are 6 months per year or less or if the all season gives you the confidence to drive in all conditions.

I empathize with how you feel looking at the car on 18s. I can imagine that's a bit odd....

Another thing to consider is that some all season tires have lower (softer) tread wear ratings. I did a search on Tire Rack and came up with all of your potential options. Note that I sized for a 275 tire but you can go with the 245 if that doesn't work:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...nLoadRating=XL

The Yokohama's are an interesting option. The compound is going to be a bit softer than what you'd find in similar offerings. What I find compelling is that Continental seems to have the best handle on how to create a more balanced tire that grips in all weather and still has very good tread life. There's a reason so many people on the forums recommend them and it's easy to see why. They're just so damn expensive.

At the rate in which I put mileage on my Scat, it would take me 8-9 years before I needed to replace them.

I fully embrace your conflicted state. Man that's a tough call!

Last edited by Hazmat11; 03-19-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Hazmat11 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazmat11 For This Useful Post:
Playhard (03-19-2017)
post #27 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM
hungry4des
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 14
I really dislike all season tires. Decided not to buy them anymore. Even if they last longer, they get harder as they get older and I get more unhappy with them. I live in Texas so summer tires only for me. The grip isn't bad when we are in the 30's and 40's. Good luck finding tires you like. I live Michelin Super Sports but they are expensive, so I switched to BFGoodrich Super Comp Summer tires. They do much better than all season at less cost. Not quite as good as Michelin as far as grip though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
hungry4des is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension (2011 +)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Pack - Scat Pack owners club Shots Performance Discussion/Modifications 429 03-27-2017 02:26 PM
Widest Tire for 15' Scat Pack and new Wheels Justin AuBuchon Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension 3 08-04-2016 07:26 AM
SCAT PACK is HERE!!!!! B5ScatPack General Charger Discussion 53 05-15-2015 09:15 PM
Another "My Scat Pack FINALLY" got delivered thread rtfwbg General Charger Discussion 27 04-29-2015 08:50 AM
Scat Pack? Daytona2013 Performance Discussion/Modifications 1 03-10-2014 08:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome