Charger Forums banner

SRT in Snow

17K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Backes07 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice here on what the best thing to do is.... My 07 SXT might be totalled out because if recent hail.. which sucks but if it happens i have found a 2007 Super Bee im going to make a play for...

Speaking RWD and living here in colorado... the bee would be a daily year round...

What are your opinions and recommendations on the car in winter and what would be best as far as a winter type of driving in the car?

The other cars im looking at are a Audi S5 4.2 Quatro and the Audi S6 V10 Quatro....

#2 ·
Well, the SRT won't out perform a Quatro in the snow...but throw a set of snow tires on it and it's a beast in the snow. Flex drives his up in Canada with snows on it in Winter and I drive mine all Winter with DWS Conti's with no problems.

Many other SRT owners do the same and have for 10 years, no problem.

#4 ·
Flex drives his up in Canada with snows on it in Winter and I drive mine all Winter with DWS Conti's with no problems.

Many other SRT owners do the same and have for 10 years, no problem.
Yep. Drove my SRT8 through 4 winters with a 45 mile commute to work (each way) and no issues.

Just got a set of 18" wheels (sport edition KV-5) and wrapped them in Bridgestone Blizzak DM-v1 tires.

My 2015 SRT 392 I got a set of 20" replica wheels (no 18s will fit over the 6 piston brembo's) and wrapped them in Bridgestone Blizzak DM-v2.

I would NOT suggest getting 'sports sedan' winter tires. Get light truck/suv snow tires like the DM-v2.

And here's a visual:

#3 ·
I had a full set of Blizzak's on my Mustang GT and it did just fine in up to 4" of snow. That's all we got around here. ;)

#6 ·
I'll be giving it a whirl this winter. I plan on getting a set of snow tires put on to see how it does. I've never driven a purely rwd car in the snow, so should be a learning experience.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys... You all definitely have me thinking differently about RWD now in snow... Granted I find an SRT here in or around Colorado since the Bee I was looking at sold early this week. If its not an SRT I have found a S4 Ill be looking into and if that happens I am going to have to be away from Mopar for a little until I have the money to come back

#8 ·
I drove my 14 SRT with DWS in the sierra mountains without issue. Obviously on 4-5 inch snow days I held back until all the wrecks happened.

The biggest challenge is other drivers, them getting too close and the bit of tail happy behavior you get coming off the line. I put some added weight in the trunk (old school I know). Never got stuck. The other old school tricks work too. Start in second. Don't fully stop. Begin slowing well in advance of a stop. Ground clearance isn't that great.

The thing about Flex and Ontario winter driver is that it's largely flat, and there is no peak elevation changes . They salt heavily and the plows are very active. This is a part of the world where most drivers get away with all seasons, and have well before conti put out an A/S that is better then most snow tires I grew up with.

#11 ·
Reviving the thread since we are about to have our first big snow here in Colorado...

I am thinking of adding some sand bags to the spare tire area in the trunk.. just curious on thoughts about total weight of sand bags would be good?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I would not suggest doing that.

The extra weight will increase momentum and therefore increase stopping distances and decrease steering performance.

#14 · (Edited)
Growing up in PA and fighting the snow and ice there, we always put a bag or two of sand or ice melter in the trunk. The extra weight might have helped with traction, but also it was available when needed if you did get stuck. :)

50 lbs. in the back of a 2-ton car isn't going to make a darn bit of difference with braking or turning.
Flex- Do you refuse to take more passengers in the winter?

#13 ·
I heard about decreasing tire pressure just a few lbs. in rear tires would allow more service to contact a snow covered roadway. I'm not saying this is the way to go, to me it does make some sense. Now when your on a cleared road surface, then you are driving with under inflated tires and that may not be safe..

Big John

#15 ·
I was going to do this myself with my new '16 SRT... bought a 2nd set of wheels and all, and was about to pull the trigger on a set of winter tires. But, decided it'd make more sense to save that $1,000 in tires + fees + new TPMS, sell my 2nd set of wheels for $2K+, and put that money towards a cheap 4WD SUV. Could use the hauling capability and a true poor weather vehicle. Now I have the best of both worlds and don't have to worry about my nice vehicle getting torn up in the snow and rain. And another thing you guys aren't thinking about is OTHER people on the road. Almost nobody goes out and buys snow tires and preps for winter driving. You should be more worried about people hitting you, than how well this vehicle can get around in the snow.

#17 · (Edited)
Good idea. But I like driving my car year round. It's just to much fun to her sits. :laughing:

However on crappy days the SP doesn't leave the garage. Take the Mrs awd. Drop her at the bus stop.

Reactions: Backes07
#16 ·
Don't forget that snow tires work well in sunny, dry cold weather too! The nice days when it's cold out you could still drive your Charger. ;)

Or are you up in "lake-effect snow country?"

#20 ·
No lake affect here thankfully, only time I deal with that is when i visit utah..

Thanks for the help as far as sand bags go... lol think im going to throw a few bags of ice melt in the back just to be safe, and itll be good to have for the driveway lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.