Charger Forums banner

rear view camera installed

91K views 154 replies 43 participants last post by  2KGT206SRT 
#1 ·
After upgrading my headunit from the factory REC navigation unit to a Pioneer, I figured I'd add a backup camera, too. I didn't like the look of some of the add-on cameras you normally see and I didn't want to cut holes that I might later regret. This one goes where the license plate light normally is and has both a camera and light for the plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260864374092
Very inexpensive ($26), ships from China but it's designed specifically to fit the Charger/Magnum/300.

Unpacked

Installation was fairly straightforward once I figured out how I wanted to wire it.

1. Remove the existing license plate light. It's held in with 2 screws.

2. The camera assembly has 3 connections: power for the camera, video from the camera, power for the license plate light. Using wire taps, I connected the power leads to the wires that feed the license plate light. I also removed the existing bulb from the socket and wrapped the socket in electrical tape to prevent water from getting in.

3. To get the camera wiring into the trunk, I did have to cut a hole from inside the trunk. Where the trunk latch is, there's a carpeted trim piece that is held in place with 4 retainers. The hole needs to be large enough to fit an RCA plug and the power cord so I used a hole saw. Since this is an externally exposed hole, I painted the cut edge with some touch-up paint to prevent rust. I know it's an ugly hole; my drill bit walked a little while I was cutting. I ended up putting some silicone in later after running the wires to help more with sealing it and prevent the wires from rubbing the sharp edges.

4. Fish the camera wiring through the hole where the light is and around through the hole you cut. Attach the power cable and the video extension cable then mount the camera in place.

5. Now on to the wiring. I chose to have the camera powered whenever the ignition is on. Fuse 18 is the front power outlet/cigarette lighter in the dash and mine's already configured to turn on with ignition (it's configurable to be always on or on with ignition). To tap into this circuit, I went to the cable bundle under the rear power distribution center. Fuse 18 is red/orange so I used a wire tap to connect there. The wire is already fused (20 amp) but I figured I'd put a small 5-amp in-line fuse on the camera. Ground for the camera power was easy to find; just add a wire to the ground bundle already there. NOTE: disconnect the battery when doing your wiring.

power

ground

6. Last step is getting the video to the head unit. The camera came with a video extension that was just long enough to go *straight* to the front of the car. Fortunately, it's not terribly difficult to run. Lift out the trunk floor panel and run the video cable along the bundle of cables already coming from the power distribution center. The back seat bottom just pops out (pull up on the front of the seat bottom, then pull forward). Remove the center console (http://www.custommagnums.com/forums/misc-mods/1282-how-remove-center-console.html). Now you have a direct path from the trunk to the head unit; you'll need to run the wire under the carpet across the "hump" to get from the back seat to the center console.

7. Before you reassemble everything, plug in and test! You don't want to have to disassemble everything again if there's a problem.

8. Now reassemble everything and you're done. Very discreet.

See less See more
#7 ·
Clean install. Looking to go this route.
Thanks!

Do you know if this part and installation process can be installed with the factory Navigation on my 2006? If so, will I need the Lockpick or similar device or would this be able to plug directly into the factory unit? Also, would the installation be the same if I don't have any aftermarket wires going to the distribution center in the trunk? - Thanks for any info.

BTW, excellent write-up & photos. Description was short and to the point. Very nice.
The REC nav unit doesn't have an input for a rear-view camera, at least not one that you can use. The Lockpick will add the ability to use external video, including a rear view camera.

I didn't have any aftermarket wiring to the rear power distribution center before I started this. The bundle of wiring that I described/showed is the existing factory harness that brings power from the rear to the various modules around the car.

#5 ·
After upgrading my headunit from the factory REC navigation unit to a Pioneer, I figured I'd add a backup camera, too.
Do you know if this part and installation process can be installed with the factory Navigation on my 2006? If so, will I need the Lockpick or similar device or would this be able to plug directly into the factory unit? Also, would the installation be the same if I don't have any aftermarket wires going to the distribution center in the trunk? - Thanks for any info.

BTW, excellent write-up & photos. Description was short and to the point. Very nice.

#8 ·
Looks great! Seems to be the best option for backup safety, IMHO.
What kind of bulb does the built in light use?

#11 ·
This is a replica version of Mopar Parkview Camera system. I read the thread and I thought since Chinese never come up with something original so this got be a copy of some OEM design. Turns out I was right! :)

It is available on some 300s and thats why it is compatible with Chargers.

#12 ·
Oh heck yes, OEM! Did you happen to get the P/N for it?

#16 ·
Looks great!!! Nice mod!

#17 ·
That is the cleanest back up camera setup I have seen it gives it a factory look to it compared to other mounting methods great find.:bigthumb:

#20 ·
It's working pretty darn well. For the price, hard to beat it! Backing down the driveway in the dark is much less trouble now. And I don't have to worry about running over our cat anymore. :)

The downside? A few things but none are serious.
1 - This camera doesn't have the distance overlay on screen; some of them do and these cameras are becoming more readily available so if you're shopping for one check to see if it has it.
2 - The integrated light for the license plate isn't as bright as the OEM light. I haven't had any problems with it, but I have noticed that it doesn't completely illuminate the plate.
3 - I've had to adjust the aim on it since it points a bit lower than I'd like as-is; I just cut a plastic washer and shimmed it.

#27 ·
Mnunes you are right. I thought I read somewhere that someone got it to work, but there were issues. They were able to get it to work when they flashed the car with Jeep SW, but then lost other stuff, reflashed with LX SW and lost the camera. So unfortunatly, it looks like for the REC you have to use the REC lockpick or Nav2go.

#36 ·
Got my camera in the mail today. I'm gonna have to find the directions for my lockpick. You guys think I should use the power and ground from the lockpick harness or would this other route be easier? And no directions came with the camera. Guess I have to go back and re read the original post. I miss my pc. This is too much work from my phone.

#37 ·
If you want to turn the camera on when ever you want to then you need to hook the power and ground wire to the lockpick. If you only want it to come on when you are in reverse then tie the wires into your reverse light. The lockpick has an orange wire for positive and the black is the ground and these wires come out of the harness that plugs into the lockpick. Here is a link to the manual: http://www.coastaletech.com/media/MYGIG_ADAPTER_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

It is pretty easy to setup. Only bad part is if you use the lockpick for power and ground you have to run some wires.

#40 ·
Mnunes, I am just making sure that you didn't need the lockpick since your Pioneer had the camera AV input jack in the back of the headunit. I recently ordered the Pioneer AVH-P2400BT which has one and the same camera you installed. I hope that is all I need to do this mod, my wife really wanted this mod so the new headunit was an easy sell!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.