Charger Forums banner

Cam info??

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Punisher69 
#1 ·
Any one know good info on getting a Cam? Or if any one has it done can you please tell me what is best to get for beat bang for my buck. Will I have to have it tuned at a shop. I have 2012 rt 5.7. dcx diablo tune. Bbk shorty heads. Flowmaster exhaust. Bbk CAI. Throttle body spacer. Eibach lowering kit... Etc... Anyone please shoot me good info on what to get, why, best price, what to expect, etc.Thanks Mopar family!

#2 ·
It will depend on what you want. Some cams offer more high end torque, some more lower end. Some are aimed at higher HP, some give a mix of everything with little MPG loss. Regardless of which you get, a tune will be HIGHLY advisable to get the most out of it. Whether it be an email tune or a dyno tune, you'll get the max potential out of it. I'm considering a COMP cam myself, I hear nothing but good things about them. Prices range from $400 - 800 depending on a lot of factors, with a dyno tune being about $4-500, or an email tune about $125. The installation varies by shop.

#3 ·
Also, when you get the cam and have it installed, give us a call and we will get you a custom blend QuantumBlue Lubricant designed for it and also some ACES IV. The combination along with the cam and your mods will really make a difference!

Welcome to the forums also!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#4 ·
Sweet! Well I want more HP overall. I guess if I had a target area I'd want mid to high end power. My lower gears have mean pull! Sounds like a good price! When I go to buy this can does it need certain parts or will it all come as a kit 'so to say'. Whats the best place to buy one and for my wants do you or anyone know the exact one calling my name?

#5 ·
#8 ·
Its official. Getting a comp cam and dyno tune in 2weeks! Pumped! Plus dyno tune. For all cam parts, dyno tune, and installation will be $2000 even at the performance shop I'm going to. I do have a question though. The guy said I will no longer need my diablo tuner after the dyno tune. A few people told me that as well. Though I for got to ask the guy when he dyno tunes it, will he lean it out to what it will run best, will he open my throttle 20%, will he change my rpm shift points to 6grand, etc.... Will he do all that? Does that consist of a dyno tune? All that? Will he pick out what specs run best off the computers? If so I can sale my diablo tuner and make some money back correct? Or can he not change those with the dyno tune? Or again will he pick out what's best overall max performance?

#9 ·
He will tune it for what HE believes will be the best for overall max performance. I would keep the DiabloSport around as it might help get you a CMR tune down the road to REALLY squeeze out every bit of performance from the car. Every tunes differently, your guys might not be the best tune though.

#11 ·
I don't remember the comp can he picked off the top of my head, but I told him I want a mild cam so if picked out 2-3 and then we picked one best to what I described I wanted. Also as far as keeping my diablo tune and using it after the dyno tune, won't that wipe out his computer tune? People keep saying I won't need the diablo but I honestly don't know. I figured if I tuned it with the diablo after he computer and dyno tuned it that the diablo would change his tune? Any input? Ideas? Or info?

#12 ·
I would have him put the Dyno tune in a backup file on your Diablosport in case down the road for whatever reason something screws up. Dealerships are notorious for trying to do software updates when you drop off your car and screwing up the whole car causing the system needing to be flashed. Also you should data log the car after the dyno and make sure there isn't a lot of knocks yourself and if there is than you can customize it a little bit more than what he did to avoid the knocks. If you do little things to the car like change the fuel to more rich or lean it won't wipe out the whole tune but instead it'll change that specific thing.

#13 ·
What he said ^

Always good to keep the DiabloSport around. It will come in handy at some point in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.