Charger Forums banner

EVIC installation?

96K views 370 replies 67 participants last post by  AGunny 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if its possible to get EVIC installed somehow on my Charger? I have a regular R/T 07. If so, is it expensive, do I have to go to the dealer?

#3 ·
I don't believe it can be done at the dealership at all.

#7 ·
Yeah I was just reading some old threads on the subject, and it seems like everyone has different opinions. I'll give my dealer a call later. One thing I'm confused about, is it two different things to get EVIC and the steering wheel with the buttons?

#8 ·
I got great news for all those that want the EVIC option!
I just got off the phone with my dealer and they said it is possible, I'm just looking to spend somewhere between 1,200- 1,5oo, somewhere around that ball park. I can't wait for taxes times to come around!

#11 ·
Hmm, does the dealership actually know what your talking about? From what I know it's not possible to install EVIC unless it's at the factory. I believe even an SRT guy has said before that you can't.

#9 ·
and WHY do you want it sooooo bad? I sure as hell wouldnt pay 1500 bucks for it. just get a dashhawk or something

#14 ·
I want it because its just a good feature to have, maybe its not something I really need, but I do want it. Don't people pay about 1,200+ for a ram air hood? Anyway, I know I should of done my homework more before buying the car, but I didn't. All I knew was SE, SXT, R/T, Daytona and SRT. Plus I did a trade in and I just couldn't afford too much. What's this dashhawk thing you mentioned?

#13 ·
I was just going to say that. They also said adding the EVIC to my Jeep was impossible but that proved to be as simple as putting in the module and connecting four wires to the data link connector under the dash. ANYTHING is possible in modern cars. If you really wanted to, you could make a Superbee flash screen show up on your EVIC, you just have to know the parts involved and do some reprogramming, but in the end it all comes down to replacing certain pieces. The difference between an R/T and an R/T with Electronics Convenience cannot be that vast. Just have to find out which computers, wires and parts to replace and do it, and then which parts need to be reprogrammed. After all, what if you were in an accident and those parts were ruined. Are they somehow not able to rebuild the car as a result? Come on.

#16 ·
I would rather put that $300 into finding out how to enable the factory EVIC rather than having something else hanging off my dash looking cluttered...

#18 ·
I'll tell you something else. Numerous people have talked about how it is impossible to use the sun sensor if it did not come with your car, but I was just looking at the pinout and it does not even interface with the CAN BUS! It's as simple as tracing where the wires go and hooking them in, it looks like.

#19 ·
Are you saying that all of our cars are basically wired the same, just not with the hardware attached?

#21 ·
No, they are not all wired the same. There ARE different wiring harnesses out there, so, though some cars may have additional wiring for features they don't have, not all cars are wired the same at all. It's totally hit or miss. I was talking about simply finding out where the wires, as they come off the sun sensor, run around the car and finally hook into, and what that component does. It may be the sun sensor is powered by, and triggers, a module you don't have without a certain package, but the point was that it does not interface with the CAN BUS directly, though something it MAY hook into might. CAN BUS being the biggest hinderence to modifications since it can effectively say, no, you don't have the feature, or I am not programmed for this feature, and not work.

Maybe someone at MPSC or someone else with access or knowledge on the wiring will chime in and tell us if the sun sensor goes into something else, if we can get and install that piece, where the wires need to be spliced into, etc.

#26 ·
The light sensor appears to connect directly to the AC/heater control panel. The control panel, in turn, has a CAN-B connection. The service manual indicates that the control panel is model and year specific; there is no mention of the manual AC/heater control panel interfacing to the CAN bus at all.

#23 ·
Dealer holdback is nowhere near enough for them to have any incentive to install an EVIC in yours, so don't use that as some ill concocted basis for ruling out its viability. They knew if they did not sell it to you, they would sell it to someone else, and it was only marginally in their interest to throw in goodies to get it sold at that moment.

#24 · (Edited)
weve already purchased 3 cars in the last 5 months from the dealer trying to sell me the sublime and they tried so hard to sell it to me it was annoying already. They literally made "joking" comments every single day, and specifically asked what it was missing for me to buy. EVIC is all it was missing and I told them that. Thats when the sales manager who i personally know that has been in the car business atleast 30 years told me it needed to be installed from the factory and said "well i guess now we can leave you alone about this car haha" Again, if they could have thrown a $1500 dollar evic in it, they would have

Someone do it and tell us how it goes :)

#25 ·
That still proves nothing. You two would also be sitting here saying you could not install UConnect after the fact had it not already been bypassed. Go look at wiring diagrams and modules and tell me how it CANNOT BE DONE. Unless the parts are tightly controlled by Chrysler so that nobody can get hold of them without a car meeting the criteria, ie. from the factory installed, it can be done. Even then it could still be bypassed by having someone use another VIN, or someone smuggle the parts out, something. It has to be able to be done, otherwise, again, a vehicle whose EVIC went kapoot, or was in an accident and had some or all of the components, whatever those may be, damaged or destroyed, would not be repairable. Simply not possible. Everyone says it cannot be done when it cannot be simply plug and play. They told me I could not add premium TPMS to my Jeep, as in, individual tire pressure readouts on the EVIC - guess what, I did. Cost me a $50 module and $45 in service to get it programmed. They told me I could not install an EVIC in said Jeep, got the part for $75 at a junkyard and soldered it in, and it works. And, again, they said we could not install UConnect in the LX after it left the factory, wow, they were sooooo right about that.

#27 ·
great stuff.......except I know uconnect can be added b/c they sell it as an upgrade through mopar

Still havent heard of anyone succesfully install evic in a non evic equipped car

Im not saying IT CANT BE DONE, im saying it doesnt seem to be as easy as $1500 to get done, and that if it can be done, its probably a bigger ordeal

#32 ·
I called a different dealer here in the bay area and they said it was possible too but its complicated and they would have to do some reaserching. The only parts he mentioned was the cluster and some wiring, and they might have to change the computer programing. Sounds complicated and expensive, I'm starting to change my mind about this. Maybe later in the future some will have done this and it will be easier then. . .

#33 ·
Ok, lets think about this. Car manufactures make cars on one assembly line. Unless it's a special edition like and SVT, etc., etc. They make them all the same going down the line and if it is to have a certain feature it gets it and if not it doesn't. They don't have 15 different lines for the 15 different features. It's not cost effective. I have had several dodges over the years and when they told me I couldn't have cruise control on my Dakota, I bought a new wheel with the controls, and a module. it was plug and play. All the wiring was already pre-run. Now as far as EVIC I am not 100% sure, but what I think is that the main wiring is there, you just have to know what models to buy, everything required to make the CAN BUS happy, and how to re-program it. You would need a serious service manual/wiring manual/parts manual(what ever) for a charger with EVIC and one with out and then compare what you need to make it happen. My 2 cents...

#42 ·
This is true for the most part . Now the problem you get into today is not adding the parts needed , thats the easy part. Its getting the onboard computers to first recognize the new parts and then to have the software reflashed to make these parts run. In the old days you could just swap computer/modules from a highline car in and away you went . Todays cars have fewer computers that do the job that used to be done by 3 to 4 smaller computers just a few years ago . These new ones do need to be vin number specific , or they will trigger a fault .

#34 ·
Exactly. I just thought of another one they told me I could not do, both 6 dealers AND Chrysler tech support, and Chrysler when the dealer called to ask on speakerphone with me listening: steering wheel audio controls to my Jeep. Yeah, didn't need a new clockspring or anything, just the switches and wire harness. Dremeled out holes on the back of the steering wheel and popped them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.