Charger Forums banner

HOW TO: Map Update on Uconnect CTP11 & CTP12 (2011 - 2012)

213K views 507 replies 88 participants last post by  commander 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE: I wanted to thank user "tanbam" for these instructions, and for his permission to use them to start this thread!

This map updating process is for the CTP11 & CTP12 radios which are on the 2011 – 2012 Charger, and has a magnifying glass icon for the "Where To":

If you have a 2013 – 2014 Charger, the files needed are different and instructions can be found here:

HOW TO: Map Update on Uconnect CTP13+ (2013 - 2014)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting Started - What you will need:

(1) Compatible Garmin Nuvi which has 3D maps and junction views.
(2) Compatible USB flash drive at least 8GB in size

Step 1: Getting update files from the Nuvi

Begin by plugging your Nuvi into the computer and running GARMIN Express. The program will let you update your Nuvi software and will install the latest map update. This will take some time, so just let it do its thing.

After the Nuvi has been updated and has the latest maps, you must enable the Mass Storage feature so that you can browse the files using your computer's file explorer. After this is done, your Nuvi will show up in your computer like a normal USB flash drive. This only needs to be done once.

To enable Mass Storage in the Nuvi:
1) Disconnect the Nuvi from the computer.
2) From the main, "Where To?" screen, tap the "Volume" button.
3) Tap and hold the upper-right corner for about 10 seconds to enter the Diagnostics Page.
4) Scroll down and tap "MTP Settings".
5) Select "Mass Storage" and tap the "Save" button.
5) Tap the back arrow button twice to go back to the main screen.

After Mass Storage is enabled, plug the Nuvi back into the computer. To copy the update files to a USB stick:

1) Ensure that the computer is set to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", and that "Hide extensions for known file types" & "Hide protected operating system files" are both unchecked. This will allow you to easily find the Nuvi files and avoid confusion.

2) Plug a blank USB stick into your computer and create a folder named "Garmin". All of the update files will go into this folder, regardless of where they came from in the Nuvi. Inside the Garmin folder, create two more folders named "ASR" and "JCV".

3) Open the Nuvi 'drive' and browse to the ".System" folder which should be visible at the top of the list. If you don't see it, go back and double-check that step 1) was completed properly.

4) Copy ONLY the following three files from the ".System" folder in the Nuvi into the "Garmin" folder in the USB stick:

gmapprom.img (03/17/2021)
gmaptz.img (03/08/2021)
gmapbmap.img (03/14/2011)

5) Browse to the ".System\ASR" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following four files into the "Garmin\ASR" folder on the USB stick:

06PGQW3K.SRX (03/17/2021)
06PGQW3L.ASR (03/17/2021)
06PGQW3M.ASR (03/17/2021)
06PGQW3N.ASR (03/17/2021)
*Note that these file names are ONLY for 2022.10 map.

6) Browse to the ".System\JCV" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following file into the "Garmin\JCV" folder on the USB stick:

D3191370A.JCV (03/17/2021)
Large JCV File D3060350A.JCV (851.028 MB)
*Note that this file name is ONLY for the 2022.10 map
**Note that there are three different versions of the JCV file, determined by size! The above listed is the MEDIUM sized one!

When you are finished, the folder/file structure on the USB stick should look like this:

└───Garmin
. │ gmapprom.img
. │ gmaptz.img
. │ gmapbmap.img
. │
. ├───ASR
. │ 06OT61A8.SRX
. │ 06OT61A9.ASR
. │ 06OT61AA.ASR
. │ 06OT61AB.ASR
. │
. ├───JCV
. │ D3191340A.JCV

Some folks may notice that this does not include the full set of update files that come with a Nuvi update, however, these are the only files that are required for the CTP11/12 system. The other files will just be taking up unnecessary space.

Step 2: Generating your unlock code

There are two programs that you will need to generate the unlock code for your map/car combination. You will need to generate a new code for each new map.

The first program is called GMapTool, and it is used to identify the FID number for each new map.

GMapTool can be downloaded from here:

GMapTool

To use this program, install it to your computer. After it is installed, open it and you will be presented with a window.

1) Drag-and-drop gmapprom.img from the USB stick into the blank area under "File Name"
2) Click the "Info" button.
3) Record the FID number.

After you have the FID number, you need to get the 10-digit Device (UNIT) ID number from your radio. You can either find it in the settings menus, or you can wait until the radio prompts you during the install process. It's easier to get it beforehand, though. It will be on a screen that looks similar to this:

Now that you have your Device ID number from your car and the FID number for the map, it's time to generate your 25-digit unlock code. To do this, you need Jetmouse for PC available here:

Jetmouse for PC

After you get the program, open it on your computer.

1) Enter your 10-digit Device (UNIT) ID code in the "Enter your Unit ID here:" box.
2) In the "Select Map Product:" section, scroll to the bottom and choose "<custom mapset>'
3) In the new window, enter the four-digit FID number in the "FID (or MapID):" box and click "OK".
4) Click the "Generate" button in the bottom left corner.
5) Copy the map unlock code (or take a picture of it!)

Step 3: Updating the maps in the car

The update package is ready to go into the car. I don't have access to a CTP11/CTP12 right now, so I'm going to try to go from memory...

1) Toggle the Start button to the ACC or RUN positions. The car engine needs not be running, but be aware that the car will turn itself off in the ACC or RUN positions after a period of time. It is critical that you don't allow the car to turn off after the update process begins. Either babysit it by periodically cycling the Start button to reset the timer (make sure the doors are closed when doing this) or just go for a drive while the map is being updated. The update can take more than an hour, so plan accordingly.

2) Go to the navigation screen and plug the update USB stick into the USB jack in the center console. The radio will recognize that an update disk has been inserted, and will begin validating the files on the USB stick. This may take some time.

When the validation process passes, a window will pop up and will ask you if you want to update to the newer map. Proceed through the onscreen prompts, including entering in the 25-digit unlock code that you generated earlier.

3) After this, the radio will reboot and begin copying the new files into the system. This will take a long time, so just let it finish.

Occasionally, the radio may lock up at the reboot stage. If it doesn't reboot after a minute or so, you must pull the radio fuse in the trunk. I have no idea why this happens, but nothing bad happens to the radio and you can simply repeat from step 1 again after plugging the fuse back in.

4) After the install process has reached 100%, the radio will again reboot. It may either tell you that the map update was successful or not, but if it got all the way to the end, the update was successful regardless of what it says.

5) Go into your settings and verify that the maps were updated to the latest version.

6) Enjoy!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to updating my maps again. Using the same thumb drive and the same donor Nuvi as the last time so I know both are compatible. My .jcv however is not the one you mentioned, mine is named D3191140A.jcv for maps version 2015.20.

Downloaded the D306150A.JCV file from Garmin and the validation failed, going to replace it with the file from my Nuvi and try again.

[edit] Seems to be working with the .jcv file from my Nuvi and not the one mentioned in the how to.

#3 ·
Okay, you will want to go ahead and download the JCV file from the Garmin website ONLY if you have a 2011/2012 Charger here:

http://download.garmin.com/support/2015_20/NA/JV/D3060150A.JCV

That file has a FULL SCREEN junction view, where apparently the other file will look stretched out and fuzzy because it is a smaller picture being scaled up!

The file in the link I provided is 815 MB, where I think the other one should be smaller in size!

#5 ·
Also, the flash drive will be the most popular thing to fail!

When I updated mine for 2015.10, I used a specific flash drive, and used that flash drive again to try to update to 2015.20. It kept getting error messages.

I finally went out and bought a new drive, and it worked.

I am not saying that is what happened specifically with you, but make a note of that for future references!

Let us know what the junction views look like with the file off the Nuvi, if it looks small and fuzzy!

#6 · (Edited)
I doubt it's the drive as it worked fine with the junction view file from my Garmin. I'll see what the image looks like and try again if it looks too bad. The JV file I had was from my last update (2014 maps that I did last year) and it was tolerable to look at so I imagine this one will be the same.

As a side note for others, the key generated by Jetmouse doesn't always work so make 5 or six of them and have them all handy, the first two I made weren't accepted.

#7 ·
Does the quality of the map differ depending on which Garmin unit you have? Because I've used a few different Garmin units in the past when traveling and I've noticed that there is a slight difference in image quality depending on the unit used.

#8 ·
I would assume the navigation's screen resolution would affect the quality of what you are seeing.

All maps should be the same, regardless of what unit you are using!

#11 · (Edited)
I used to have a Charger, but it was totaled.
I now have a 2012 Challenter SRT8 with the 430n/RHB radio.
I'm trying to update my maps, but keep getting PND Update Successful, but nothing seems to change.

The radio is running version 33.01.23 if that matters.

I am following the instructions in this post for 2015.20 maps.
When I check the version, it still says "OEM City Navigator North America+Mexico NT 2012".

The map image I am using says it is "City Navigator North America NT" Full.

Am I missing something here?

EDIT: Also, in the instuctions it says to tell if you are CTP12 or 13 by looking at the "Where To?" icon, mine is the arrow and not a magnifying glass, but my car is definitely a 2012 with 33.01.23...kinda odd?

#30 ·
#15 ·
Correct!

Before 2011, the Charger and Challenger shared the same radio!

The Challenger continued using that same radio until I think the new 2015!

The Charger went to the 8.4" UConnect touch screen!

#17 · (Edited)
I looked in my settings. I can't find the ten digit device number. How do I do that?

It is in your radio in the car:

After you have the FID number, you need to get the 10-digit Device ID number from your radio. You can either find it in the settings menus, or you can wait until the radio prompts you during the install process. It's easier to get it beforehand, though.

It will be in this screen here, although yours might look a little different:

#22 ·
I got my map update done today. For some reason the newest map I could get was 2014. That's a lot better than it was, Without my sons help, it would have been impossible for me to do it. We had a little glitch installing Jetmouse. Everything else went good. Thanks to RScottyL and all others that helped.

#24 · (Edited)
If you have a 2012 or older, you can certainly purchase the official update, but it's done via navigation.com instead of directly from Garmin. The "official 2014" update disk was released around April '14, and contains map data that is from '13.

If you have a 2013+, the update is scheduled to be released mid-October '14, or a month and a half ago. They haven't bothered to either release the actual update OR change the release date on their website to reflect the month-and-a-half delay.

In summary, you can either purchase the official, two-year-old map "update" DVD for $150, or you can purchase a refurbished nuvi with a lifetime map subscription for even less and have maps that are never more than three months old. It's entirely your call as far which choice better fits your needs.

The maps from Garmin that you posted on your link are for standalone navigation units, so you cannot buy them for your car's navigation system.

#25 ·
Right right... I understood that. Sorry, I was not clear enough about what I was asking. If I go to Garmin's site (the link I posted), I can purchase the lifetime updates for the Nuvi devices for $89. So is there any reason that I can't just purchase that without purchasing an actual device?

Is there a way that we could just download the necessary updates and extract the files we need from it, without having a device to put it on, or is having the correct device a necessary part of the extraction process?

Thanks!

#33 ·
For step 6 the JCV link from garmin site is not working, is there a updated link?

6) Go to the Garmin website and download the JCV file and copy ONLY the following file into the "Garmin\JCV" folder on the USB stick:

D3191150A.JCV
*Note that this file name is ONLY for the 2015.30 map.

#35 ·
Missing .ASR and .SRX files.

NOTE: I wanted to thank user "tanbam" for these instructions, and for his permission to use them to start this thread!

This map updating process is for the CTP11 & CTP12 radios which are on the 2011 – 2012 Charger. If you have a 2013 – 2014 Charger, the files needed are different and instructions can be found here:

HOW TO: Map Update on Uconnect CTP13+ (2013 - 2014)

Getting Started - What you will need:

(1) Compatible Garmin Nuvi which has 3D maps and junction views.
(2) Compatible USB flash drive at least 8GB in size

Step 1: Getting update files from the Nuvi

Begin by plugging your Nuvi into the computer and running GARMIN Express. The program will let you update your Nuvi software and will install the latest map update. This will take some time, so just let it do its thing.

After the Nuvi has been updated and has the latest maps, you must enable the Mass Storage feature so that you can browse the files using your computer's file explorer. After this is done, your Nuvi will show up in your computer like a normal USB flash drive. This only needs to be done once.

To enable Mass Storage in the Nuvi:
1) Disconnect the Nuvi from the computer.
2) From the main, "Where To?" screen, tap the "Volume" button.
3) Tap and hold the upper-right corner for about 10 seconds to enter the Diagnostics Page.
4) Scroll down and tap "MTP Settings".
5) Select "Mass Storage" and tap the "Save" button.
5) Tap the back arrow button twice to go back to the main screen.

After Mass Storage is enabled, plug the Nuvi back into the computer. To copy the update files to a USB stick:

1) Ensure that the computer is set to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", and that "Hide extensions for known file types" & "Hide protected operating system files" are both unchecked. This will allow you to easily find the Nuvi files and avoid confusion.

2) Plug a blank USB stick into your computer and create a folder named "Garmin". All of the update files will go into this folder, regardless of where they came from in the Nuvi. Inside the Garmin folder, create two more folders named "ASR" and "JCV".

3) Open the Nuvi 'drive' and browse to the ".System" folder which should be visible at the top of the list. If you don't see it, go back and double-check that step 1) was completed properly.

4) Copy ONLY the following three files from the ".System" folder in the Nuvi into the "Garmin" folder in the USB stick:

gmapprom.img
gmaptz.img
gmapbmap.img

5) Browse to the ".System\ASR" folder in the Nuvi and copy ONLY the following four files into the "Garmin\ASR" folder on the USB stick:

05CA6QRK.SRX
05CA6QRL.ASR
05CA6QRM.ASR
05CA6QRN.ASR
*Note that these file names are ONLY for 2015.30 map.

6) Go to the Garmin website and download the JCV file and copy ONLY the following file into the "Garmin\JCV" folder on the USB stick:

D3191150A.JCV
*Note that this file name is ONLY for the 2015.30 map.

When you are finished, the folder/file structure on the USB stick should look like this:

└───Garmin
. │ gmapprom.img
. │ gmaptz.img
. │ gmapbmap.img
. │
. ├───ASR
. │ 05CA6QRK.SRX
. │ 05CA6QRL.ASR
. │ 05CA6QRM.ASR
. │ 05CA6QRN.ASR
. │
. ├───JCV
. │ D3191150A.JCV

Some folks may notice that this does not include the full set of update files that come with a Nuvi update, however, these are the only files that are required for the CTP11/12 system. The other files will just be taking up unnecessary space.

Step 2: Generating your unlock code

There are two programs that you will need to generate the unlock code for your map/car combination. You will need to generate a new code for each new map.

The first program is called GMapTool, and it is used to identify the FID number for each new map.

GMapTool can be downloaded from here:

GMapTool

To use this program, install it to your computer. After it is installed, open it and you will be presented with a window.

1) Drag-and-drop gmapprom.img from the USB stick into the blank area under "File Name"
2) Click the "Info" button.
3) Record the FID number.

After you have the FID number, you need to get the 10-digit Device (UNIT) ID number from your radio. You can either find it in the settings menus, or you can wait until the radio prompts you during the install process. It's easier to get it beforehand, though. It will be on a screen that looks similar to this:

Now that you have your Device ID number from your car and the FID number for the map, it's time to generate your 25-digit unlock code. To do this, you need Jetmouse for PC available here:

Jetmouse for PC

After you get the program, open it on your computer.

1) Enter your 10-digit Device (UNIT) ID code in the "Enter your Unit ID here:" box.
2) In the "Select Map Product:" section, scroll to the bottom and choose "<custom mapset>'
3) In the new window, enter the four-digit FID number in the "FID (or MapID):" box and click "OK".
4) Click the "Generate" button in the bottom left corner.
5) Copy the map unlock code (or take a picture of it!)

Step 3: Updating the maps in the car

The update package is ready to go into the car. I don't have access to a CTP11/CTP12 right now, so I'm going to try to go from memory...

1) Toggle the Start button to the ACC or RUN positions. The car engine needs not be running, but be aware that the car will turn itself off in the ACC or RUN positions after a period of time. It is critical that you don't allow the car to turn off after the update process begins. Either babysit it by periodically cycling the Start button to reset the timer (make sure the doors are closed when doing this) or just go for a drive while the map is being updated. The update can take more than an hour, so plan accordingly.

2) Go to the navigation screen and plug the update USB stick into the USB jack in the center console. The radio will recognize that an update disk has been inserted, and will begin validating the files on the USB stick. This may take some time.

When the validation process passes, a window will pop up and will ask you if you want to update to the newer map. Proceed through the onscreen prompts, including entering in the 25-digit unlock code that you generated earlier.

3) After this, the radio will reboot and begin copying the new files into the system. This will take a long time, so just let it finish.

Occasionally, the radio may lock up at the reboot stage. If it doesn't reboot after a minute or so, you must pull the radio fuse in the trunk. I have no idea why this happens, but nothing bad happens to the radio and you can simply repeat from step 1 again after plugging the fuse back in.

4) After the install process has reached 100%, the radio will again reboot. It may either tell you that the map update was successful or not, but if it got all the way to the end, the update was successful regardless of what it says.

5) Go into your settings and verify that the maps were updated to the latest version.

6) Enjoy!

#37 ·